GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 03:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie wanting to try Stunt Kites......  (Read 3823 times)
molokaiboy
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 04, 2012, 08:42 PM »

Well I remember flying kites as a kid and trying to build our own with scraps of whatever we could get our hands on. Oh the fun we had trying to get our pile of sticks and plastic baggies to fly.

Had a box kite that my older brother got for me, took me flying and we always had a blast.

Well I have kids of my own and they want to fly kites. I've gotten them some sheap one's from Walmart and we have a blast. I have fun with them but now I am kinda getting the bug to fly a stunt kite. I've been flying RC Models for a number of years and love flying anything that flies. I have been looking around and have seen some intersting kites.

I live on Maui and there are many areas where theres various wind conditions and figured it would be great to make use of all this wind. There aren't many kite flyers here as there are so many ocean activities that keep us busy. I'd like to take advantage of the winds we do have and start getting into sport kite flying.

What is a good beginner to intermediate type of kite? Which should I start with, double or quad line? You know the drill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo from Maui, Hawaii.

Les
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Aloha No.
Welcome to the forum.
Start with a full size kite that's designed to take the abuse a beginner will give it. You'll get lots of good suggestions as to which one.
Drop our host a line, he's more than qualified to get you started in the right direction.  Wink
And remember, despite the rumors, Kona No Ka Oi.  Cool

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:11 PM »

IMHO ~

I suggest a Revolution 1.5 quad-line kite right-out-of-the-gate. I've flown both dualie and now exclusively fly Revs... and they're the most awesome performing kites! 

Roll Eyes  I'm not going to make many (dual-line) friends here, but...
most Rev flyers, who used to fly dual-line, find the dualies hide in their bag  Cry once they entered the "Dark-Side" of quad-line flying!   Grin

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
molokaiboy

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:19 PM »

And remember, despite the rumors, Kona No Ka Oi.

Well having lived in Kona for almost 10 years I can it can be a really great place, that being said Maui is also a great place, with much less vog and the headaches when the Ironman comes to town.

I havew been looking at those Revolution kites and really want one but thinking it maybe too much for a beginner. But after thinking about it, if I can fly RC Helis a quad line kite might be a very enjoyable learning experience.

Thanks guys,

Les
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:34 PM »

Yeah, Maui is a great place. I never could decide if I liked Lahaina or Hana best.
Lot of RC guys end up flying kites. I have a T-Rex 450 and 600 and a couple of fixed wing planes. Quit a few others here fly as well.
I don't think you'll have any trouble learning either dual or quad line kites. RC guys seem to make the transition without much problem.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:45 PM »

IMHO ~

I suggest a Revolution 1.5 quad-line kite right-out-of-the-gate. I've flown both dualie and now exclusively fly Revs... and they're the most awesome performing kites! 

Roll Eyes  I'm not going to make many (dual-line) friends here, but...
most Rev flyers, who used to fly dual-line, find the dualies hide in their bag  Cry once they entered the "Dark-Side" of quad-line flying!   Grin

Having flown duals for years before and almost two years now that i got a bunch of other new dual kites.
I stepped into the dark side last year and only fly the duals from time to time.
They are definitively different beasts but i feel one only when flying my REVs.
duals are exciting when the freestyle bug bite me Smiley

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 03:28 AM »

I'm going to break the trend and say I've been a dualie flyer for 15 years, and have owned Revs and can get around on them but they've never kept my interest for any more than about 10 minutes at a time. Otherwise, they just don't do it for me. Nothing wrong with'em, just not my thing.
I agree with Colleen though, I'd start on a 1.5 or an exp, if you can get your hands on one.

For duals, look into a Prism Hypnotist or Quantum, maybe even something from Premier like a wolf or widow if you're a bit more adventurous. The Flying Wings Beetle is also a super well known beginner, but not full size and gets a bit antsy in higher winds unless you have the high wind attachment kit. Out of the three I'd go with the Hypno, and if you get better and better and dont want to buy another kite to advance with, you can reframe the hypno with skyshark tubes (mod is on kiteclique) and throw some yoyo stoppers on it, and it becomes quite a capable kite! Just another way to save some cash.

Happy flying!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:12 AM »

Like ADX, I too have tried Quads after several years flying duals and have come back to duals - just too many lines on Quads.  Having said that if you have watched videos of Quads and like the idea of trying them then you are in an excellent position - it's much easier to learn to fly Quads when you have very little flying experience than it is after years of flying duals.

If you decide to go with duals then the Hypnotist would be an excellent choice for a beginner - strong enough to take the abuse it will get while you are learning but tricky enough to make learning fun.

Be warned! if you really get into kite flying it can be a very expensive hobby as many here can confirm!!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
molokaiboy

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:26 AM »

Yeah I have had many helis and planes. I just have a T500FBL now and have taken a little break from helis and been just having fun with my foamies. I actually flown all the Align helis with the exception of the helis post 700N. Had a few raptors, vibe 50/90, and a few scale helis. FLown glo planes and gassers, gliders, slopers you get the picture.

I live near a few parks big enough for the Revolution kites and have varying winds as well. Most of the winds where I will fly will primarily be in the 3-20mph range. I have watched several of the videos for Revoultion and it looks like a fun challenge.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Aloha,
Les
jim-bo
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 01:40 PM »

I do not fly any kite really well but I have tried both duals and quads. I believe if you like to fly patterns with others the quad is the way to go. If you fly by yourself then the dual line is more appropriate.
red sweater

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:47 PM »

I'm going to break the trend and say I've been a dualie flyer for 15 years, and have owned Revs and can get around on them but they've never kept my interest for any more than about 10 minutes at a time. Otherwise, they just don't do it for me. Nothing wrong with'em, just not my thing.

I've got both, as well (just one Rev), but just starting to learn some freestyle flying. I think it's a lot more exciting!

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 05:49 PM »

I will go a step further , forget the Quad. also if you are used to buying RC stuff,  kiting is CHEAP Many will recommend the prism Hypnotist It also comes with a great video. what ever you decide HAVE FUN
regards Kurt

have fun kurt
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 07:35 PM »

ok , you really dont need any more opinions but heres mine , ive got big ones small ones 2 line 4 line oh yea a couple 1 line , i like em all , just go buy the one that looks interesting to you , go learn and enjoy , then ask which one for your next kite , aloha ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
Stogiez

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 07:23 AM »

For duals, look into a Prism Hypnotist or Quantum, maybe even something from Premier like a wolf or widow if you're a bit more adventurous. The Flying Wings Beetle is also a super well known beginner, but not full size and gets a bit antsy in higher winds unless you have the high wind attachment kit. Out of the three I'd go with the Hypno, and if you get better and better and dont want to buy another kite to advance with, you can reframe the hypno with skyshark tubes (mod is on kiteclique) and throw some yoyo stoppers on it, and it becomes quite a capable kite! Just another way to save some cash.

I have a Mirage/Hypnotist and while I'd recommend it for a beginner who has higher winds, I'd recommend a Nighthawk or Widow. Those are forgiving and good kites to grow with.

The Hypno is built like a tank and in lighter winds--flies like it. Plus it is a tip wrap monster. I just think that after the nose dive phase you'll want to upgrade. And yes--you can reframe it but then you're into the $$ above what even a high midlevel kite is.

I didn't stay in the nose dive phase too long.  Only reason why is because as adults, we want to avoid that and we learn what causes that and prevent it.

Having a few beginner kites, a few mids, and a couple of high ends, I'd start with a mid. 'hawk, Widow, Crossfire, most higher Prisms should fill the bill nicely.

Shaka.  Blissful breezes.

Stogiez

A few SLKs, a few Dualies, and a couple of Quads.  Still trying to learn more.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 04:37 PM »

Oh....where is rod247 now...if I remember traveled to Maui from the big island sometimes....and usually brought kites...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography