GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 01:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stunt Kiting (STACK).... would be awesome in Olympics™  (Read 2648 times)
KiteChemist
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 06, 2012, 06:50 AM »

I was thinking it those days. Since there are many "strange" sports in olimpics, why cannot STACK competitions be an olimpic sport?

For example it can rely on compulsories (both figures and trick) and a ballet.
Anyone had the same idea?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:04 PM »

Many people have had the same idea over the years.

The subject comes up from time to time.

Hey, if a horse can be in the Olympics, why not kites?

Sadly, I feel it would be viewed at about the same level

of interest as rhythmic gymnastics with their twirly ribbons.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:27 PM »

Sadly, I feel it would be viewed at about the same level
of interest as rhythmic gymnastics with their twirly ribbons.

At least the twirly ribbon has a pretty girl on one end, a kite with a fat guy on the end couldn't even match that  Cheesy

People have been suggesting it for 20 years, the bottom line is the Olympics won't accept any more subjectively judged sports. In fact over here people tried and couldn't even get kiting recognized as a sport (but darts is a sport  Huh)

RonG
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Ah, is it that time again? Time to rehash the "why is kiting not an Olympic sport!" topic? Oh boy.

Rather than rehash all the old arguments, I think I'll just paraphrase some things I saw on a surfing forum recently re. why surfing isn't in the Olympics:

"It's too conditions dependent....it's judged subjectively...it's a participant's sport more than a spectator sport (lots of people surf, relatively few go out of their way to watch contests)".

All of those apply to kiting as well. A major difference is that surfing has millions of participants and relatively large sponsorship potential, and is undeniably "athletic". Kiting by comparison is relatively unknown and barely a blip on the sponsorship radar, and most participants aren't exactly athletes.

So tell me again why kiting should make it into the Olympics?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:46 PM by RonG » Logged
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:51 PM »

ive been flying since the 80s , i starting to learn a few tricks , my boys are showing me , but honestly to me fast paced trick flying looks like an accident not really planned so whats it look like to joe public , does anybody even team fly anymore , just my 2 cents , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:04 PM »

Ah, is it that time again? Time to rehash the "why is kiting not an Olympic sport!" topic? Oh boy

Wow, Ron, come for an AKA thread and stay for an Olympics thread! See, you miss this place...  Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Kite Flying was tried at the second Olympiad in France during 1900, not as an official event but as a demonstration event

http://blog.theslingshot.com/2011/08/10/lalala-lady-lady/

For the full results and medal winners you can check here

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/summer/1900/BLN/mixed-kites-large.html

Click the events selection, there were 3 categories, Large, Medium & Small

Kiteboarding is set to become an Olympic Sport in 2016, I'm not sure it really belongs there either.

http://stevebodner.blogspot.com/2012/05/thoughts-on-2016-olympics-windsurfing.html

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 12:29 AM »

does anybody even team fly anymore

Most definitely yes! Am part of a dual-line pair and team. Click here if you want to know more about our pair- and team-flying. Several more dual-line pairs and teams active in the UK, as are several quad-line teams. Around the world, I know of about 60 pairs/teams, but no doubt I missed quite a few.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41 AM »

Ah, is it that time again?

Apparently so.  Sad

I will merely reiterate; if kiting as we know it is to be represented at a multi-sports event it will not be the Olympics but it might be at the World Air Games or the World Games. No, it won't be the swutting X Games, dude.

However the road to this is paved not with good intentions and inquisitive forum posts but with harder work than we've seen to date and considerably higher levels of participation.

I'd stick with Virtual Freestyle if I were you.

Mike,
did I already tell my déjà vu joke ?

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:04 PM »

... to me fast paced trick flying looks like an accident not really planned so whats it look like to joe public...

Agreed!  In Bintulu last year, Lam was doing a routine for the crowd, but they could only watch from side on.  From that angle, they couldn't work out what the hell was going on and the crowd thinned out by half.  From where Lam was standing I'm sure it looked excellent

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56 PM »

...... I think I'll just paraphrase some things I saw on a surfing forum recently re. why surfing isn't in the Olympics:

Surfing forum? Are we losing you completely Ron?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RonG
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 01:50 AM »

...... I think I'll just paraphrase some things I saw on a surfing forum recently re. why surfing isn't in the Olympics:

Surfing forum? Are we losing you completely Ron?
When I moved to the beach I assumed I'd spend all my free time flying kites. Instead I spend all my free time surfing. Go figure.

Not lost completely, just a little burnt out.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25 AM »

most participants aren't exactly athletes.

If you haven't had a look at this then do so to expand your view of what constitutes an "athlete". Do be careful not to overlook the little yellow square on the very far right of the chart. No.... further right. Keep going. There you are.

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:44 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:28 AM »

I always considered stunt kite flying alot like golf. Does not take that much physical effort, its a lot harder than it looks and requires ALOT of practice and good equipment to perform well. There are a few things that kill this sport: 1- Poor advertising or sponsorship. 2- People starting out on $50 stunt kites with line used to wrap packages and simply giving up after one or two trips into their local wooded park. 3- Lack of tutors or experts to make people progress properly. 4- Lack of good wind constantly other than living at/or near a beach. 5- High expense for a suite of custom made kites to make life easier in the trick transition period. 6- AKA and its lack of TRICKS PARTY sponsorship but the AKA events did show me what the right tools were to put in my bag. Its simply a sport reserved for a select few with some spare cash lying around and probably living in the East/West coast states for the U.S. anyway with alot of determination to be a good pilot. God bless the die hard inlanders flying at deserted airports  Smiley
I consider myself lucky each time I hit the beach with a Lam kite. Very lucky! Its been a long hard road ... but I like stunt kiting. ALOT.

APJ
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:31 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
RonG
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52 AM »

most participants aren't exactly athletes.

If you haven't had a look at this then do so to expand your view of what constitutes an "athlete". Do be careful not to overlook the little yellow square on the very far right of the chart. No.... further right. Keep going. There you are.

Athletes come in all sizes and shapes, but height/bodyweight ratio has little to do with it. An interesting chart, but about as useful when it comes to athletes as the ridiculous BMI (body mass index) charts that US insurance companies use to compute risk.

Consider:

1. An Olympic male weightlifter, 77kg class so roughly 169lbs, height 5'7. Body fat roughly 9% (or less), able to snatch over 170kg (374 lbs), clean and jerk 200kg (440 lbs).

2. A male couch potato, height 5'7", weighs around 169lbs. Body fat roughly 25%. Able to lift a 6 pack, provided it's only one can at a time.

Both these guys look the same on that BBC chart (and the BMI index).

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:55 AM by RonG » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum