GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 03:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing upper spreaders.  (Read 998 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: August 10, 2012, 12:28 PM »

It getting time for the weekly friday night fly in Vegas.

The combination of darkness and long grass and cost me 4 upper spreaders.
from DS, Freestylist & 2 from my WM UL.  Embarrassed

Last week I was walking forward to regain some ground duing a small gust when I felt a rod under my bare foot  Grin
Expect to find one of my lost spreaders I landed my kite and sure enought it was an upper spreaders.  Grin
Wait a minute this is a wrapped carbon rod to big for my UL   Shocked
Wait a minute this has plugs inside each end like my Infinity spreader  Shocked
Wait a minute I'm flying my Infinty  Huh

Well glad I was flying bare footed and didn't break it.  Smiley

any ideas how to keep then attached or find them in the dark. I was thinking of reflective tape? any ideas  Roll Eyes
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:43 PM »

That's something my flying friends and I are dealing with, too. What I do is after laying the spreader in the grass, I don't move my feet as I am breaking the kite down. After it's all folded up, I then bend down to pick up the spreader. If I don't see it in the dark (heh) I at least know it's somewhere real close... because I haven't moved my feet.

The thing that we do as our very last act after packing up is to use one or more of our phones as a flashlight-- there's an Android app for that! It's very cool, too. We sweep the grass with the lights and generally have good luck.... although this last time I got all the way to my car and was down the road when I realized I didn't have my bottle of rootbeer with me. Gads. At least it's plastic and won't kill the guy mowing the lawn. I worried about that with the stake I left out there once.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36 PM »

Fluorescent colored  heat shrink towards each end of the upper spreader.  Not so far outboard that it interferes with fitting the spreader in the APA connectors.  Application to both ends helps if the grass is taller and one end is obscured, changes are the other end is canted up.

Decent flashlight.... 4Sevens, Fenix, Sunwayman, Jetbeam, Nitecore Zebralight, and a bunch of other make a wide variety of  high output, compact LED flashlights.

If you want to channel you inner (or not so inner) geek, heat shrink is also available in UV reactive flavors.  If the spreader falls under the beam of a UV LED light, it quite literally glows in the dark.

ATB,
Sam
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:21 PM »

I just hold the upper spreader in my teeth while packing up.
/haven't lost one in years.

Hopefully not too many dead launches in parks with a high dog population.  Roll Eyes  Cheesy

ATB,
Sam
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 02:41 PM »

I just hold the upper spreader in my teeth while packing up.
/haven't lost one in years.

Sorry guys, my message was not clear.

Lost the spreaders while flying. This would be after a crash. It the dark not easy to see the spreader has come loose when relaunching.  Sad

Fluorescent colored  heat shrink towards each end of the upper spreader.  Not so far outboard that it interferes with fitting the spreader in the APA connectors.  Application to both ends helps if the grass is taller and one end is obscured, changes are the other end is canted up.

Decent flashlight.... 4Sevens, Fenix, Sunwayman, Jetbeam, Nitecore Zebralight, and a bunch of other make a wide variety of  high output, compact LED flashlights.

If you want to channel you inner (or not so inner) geek, heat shrink is also available in UV reactive flavors.  If the spreader falls under the beam of a UV LED light, it quite literally glows in the dark.

ATB,
Sam

Like a high power flash light. But because winds are light, I'm moving over a lot of field, so somethings it hard to know where to start looking with a flashlight.  Angry 

Sam, Thanks for the heat shrink tip  Smiley

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:29 PM »

Need some new APA's?  Hmm, I've never had one come out while flying/crashing. Wink
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:54 PM »

Paint the ends of the spreaders with clear nail polish. Keep adding coats until you build up enough to keep them tight in the LE connectors or if they are real loose, use shrink wrap on the ends of the spreaders, that will keep them in.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:09 PM »

I've never seen a kite loose the full spreader during a crash. I've only seen them come out on one side, and either poke a hole in the sail, or just stay out. Never the whole rod. How hard have the crashes been? I've intentionally nailed my WMs a couple times to see how they hold up, and nothings ever popped out of them.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 12:04 AM »

Sorry guys, my message was not clear.

Lost the spreaders while flying. This would be after a crash. It the dark not easy to see the spreader has come loose when relaunching.  Sad

Yeah, if your upper spreaders are loose enough to come out, your LE fitting is wrong, or you've got the UL spreader (smaller diameter) in the Std. kite. ULE fittings generally last YEARS if they fit right. The ones on my 3PT Midi have been going for five years of heavy flying and are just starting the get loose.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 08:25 AM »

What everybody has said about tightening them up in the connectors. They shouldn't pop out so easily that you've lost so many.

Also check that the stops/c-clips are still there (for all your fittings) and that the LE Connectors haven't slid down the spars stopping you from getting full insertion.

Third, you need to look at the kite after a hard lawn dart, either by taking the "Walk" or taking a hard look from the handles after staging the kite. I don't recall ever having an upper spreader pop completely out of both sides in a crash, one side comes out in the crash and if you relaunch without checking the kite then the spreader falls out in the air.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change