GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 12:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freilein Windrider Quad Kite  (Read 12107 times)
kiteflyer
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: August 10, 2012, 05:25 PM »

Hello,
   Has anyone flown one of these kites? I just received mine and I must say that the quality is very nice. It comes with lines, handles and a very nice soft case. I'm not saying that it is as well made as a Rev. but it is very nice for under $200. I have not flown it yet but I was wondering if anybody else has?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:14 PM by kiteflyer » Logged
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:31 PM »

Looks like a Chinese Rev knockoff.  Embarrassed
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+44)

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:43 PM »

i myself would send it back and i will send you a1.5 ready to fly w laser pro lines handles for same price revolution did all the work and they stole it and coppied it if you can send back let me know

Steve & Sherri
kiteflyer

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Well, I suppose you could say that anything in life is a knockoff because there are always multiple versions of every invention, Think of all the different brands of electronics, or cars, or even stunt kites that are out there!
Are they all knockoffs of the original inventor's design as well?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:13 PM by kiteflyer » Logged
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:22 PM »

Did you really buy this or are you just testing the waters to try and sell these?

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
boomertype

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:31 PM »

Kite knockoffs are bad for the business of kiting.
Here is a link to a thread on the Rev Forum.
http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3381-unauthorized-copies/page__hl__Knockoff

The folks doing this are copying Revs, Prisms, HQ and others.
Buying them only encourages and supports their business.
Every knockoff kite sold on EvilBay, is one less quality kite sold at a legit kite store.
Legit kite stores are hurt by this business as well are the kite makers.
There are other threads on this forum about knockoffs.
It's not a knock against you!
Sunset flyers and I are just speaking out against knockoffs.
Regards, Jim.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:48 PM »

are you just testing the waters to try and sell these?

Doubtful.  Mark has been active on both GWTW (with 11 positive transactions) and PKF (PowerKiteforum) for over a year. 

Besides he's fellow Massachoostian.  Cheesy

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:08 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 07:01 PM »

are you just testing the waters to try and sell these?

Doubtful.  Mark has been active on both GWTW (with 11 positive transactions) and PKF (PowerKiteforum) for over a year. 

Besides he's another Massachoostian.  Cheesy

ATB,
Sam

That's good. I can't see all his stats on my phone. But if he's been around you would think he's heard all this before.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
kiteflyer

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 08:06 PM »

Hey Jim,
   I really do understand what you and Sunset flyers are saying... but the same can be said for most products out there. One person/company did the research and design on most products and the others copied their products. Cars, electronics, furniture etc. and yes kites. That is all I have to say on the subject. I really just wanted to know if anyone else were flying these kites?
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Plenty of good real Revs to be had for $200. Plenty of legit non-Revs on the market too, even cheaper.

It's no sin to be fooled by a knock off, it's the seller who needs to think about what they're doing.

The kite business has always been a small industry in the U.S., these days it's tiny. A lot of flyers know the people who make the kites. It's easy to feel protective of our own, you know?

Allen, AKA kitehead
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 09:35 PM »

It's pretty, but boy does it look just like a Rev. Shape, size, vent at top of sail, leading edge, everything. You can clearly see the asian word characters.

Sure everything is a derivative nowadays, but Kites are a specialty market with not a lot of hardcore fliers. These are the type of people who would kill all the rhinos for their horns and then go "oh well" when they're all extinct and begin to kill another species, you follow? They don't care about anything except money, not kiting. It's tempting, but please don't buy from them on purpose.
boomertype

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 09:48 PM »

. . . Sure everything is a derivative nowadays, but Kites are a specialty market with not a lot of hardcore fliers. These are the type of people who would kill all the rhinos for their horns and then go "oh well" when they're all extinct and begin to kill another species, you follow? They don't care about anything except money, not kiting. It's tempting, but please don't buy from them on purpose.
Well said!
kiteflyer

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 03:34 AM »

OK... I guess you guys are right. Kiting is a small community and I wound not intentionally do anything to hurt this great sport. So I guess I'm still looking for a pretty Rev for a good price. It seems that I just can not afford a new one.
   Thanks for all your input guys, Mark
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Heya kiteflyer,

First, thanks for being human about all this (and more thanks to the cordial folks here who didn't snap on you).

Just to clarify - simple matter of fact, the SHAPE of the Revolution is covered by copyright.

Anything made in that shape without license falls under US copyright law, which is why you don't see it from other US manufacturers... As I understand it, this copyright law should be defendable across seas - but the process takes longer and is more expensive, much of it is still in process, but seems to be 100% justified.

Freilein appears to be a Chinese company, and doesn't seem to have any involvement (sponsorship, organization, education) with the global kite community at large - always my first test of measure for a company's character.

With that nasty stuff out of the way, welcome to quad fun! I love dual and single fun too, of course.

Revs come through the Swap Meet at good prices pretty often, and a few folks out there may even have a kite they're willing to part with for the cause... Good luck, I hope you find something soon! Smiley

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 04:37 PM »

excuse me while i go copyright the irregular hexagon, delta, and diamond shapes.

i'm gonna be rich AND loved by all!

Fdeli
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography