GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 11:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big - Fast - 'N' - Loud  (Read 1573 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 07:14 AM »

We got a modern Chicago Kites Skyshark-framed Hawaiian plus an original TotL Hawaiian, and it didn't need that much bridle tweaking to make them fly the same, so we can fly them in our pair routine

What were you doing that got that secondary spine on the right side of the hot colored one to bend like that?? Smiley

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 07:17 AM »

Hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it! Secondary spine is fine last time I checked. Picture was possibly taken just as I came out of a sharp turn?

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 09:26 AM »

I have a couple Hawaiins. One is all original, the other is a ITW version that I upgraded with wrapped carbon LE's(Avias) and P200 spine and spreaders. I have upgrade my Spinoffs and my NSR with all P300 rods and apa's.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 11:26 AM »

Aaaah, this reminds me, I need to work on those sails I got from Ray.  Wink You guys think P200's would be too light to frame a Hawaiian in?

thanks,
  Mike
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 12:06 PM »

Aaaah, this reminds me, I need to work on those sails I got from Ray.  Wink You guys think P200's would be too light to frame a Hawaiian in?

thanks,
  Mike

Talked to Jon T. on this before I refitted mine. Jon said he saw one with p200 flying in high wind. Not what he would use but it was working. I used what I had, p400.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 04:52 PM »

thanks,
  Mike

Check my charts, I'm on the phone right now,  but I think P200's are slightly more flexible then the standards K75's (.350) but stiffer then the .298's used in the UL and lighter then either. How much wind you want to fly in? I used P400's too, we wanted it to do high winds and be bulletproof still, plus Steve had the P400 camo's at a price that I couldn't pass up.

I'd call Jon and get a box of the P4X' camo's - too bad the clearance P300's are only 32'.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:21 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
coop

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 05:57 PM »

I've been meaning to replace the p200 spines and spreaders on mine. The p200's flex quite a bit in higher wind.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18 PM »

Hmmm...
Lots of interesting input here...
Charly over at KC has a Texas Wasp, Hawaiian Team Kites are in production, contemporary designs point to a Prism Quantum. Choices, Choices, Choices... Budgets, Budge, Budg...
Bullet proof is good for kids, but then again, anything can be destroyed is your tryin' hard enough...

Anthony
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57 PM »

Yes, thanks for the info. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

I just got some of the blem P200's and some .385 wrapped carbon tubes.  Maybe I'll use the .385s. Wink  Might be overkill but could work, but is there an APA for .385s?  I don't really plan to fly in ballistic wind.  Maybe 5-15 on average.

thanks,
  Mike
coop

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 04:45 AM »

If you can't find an apa that big just bore one out with a drill bit.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography