GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 02:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana Center T  (Read 1731 times)
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 21, 2012, 11:41 AM »

Anyone know the size of the Nirvana (first ed) center t (Sky Shark frame)? I see R-Sky sells 5x5, 6x6, and 6x7 mm parts. My guess is 6x6. R-Sky lists the spine as 6 mm. The LS is Sky Shark Black Diamond 5 PT, which has an ID just over 6mm, so I'm guessing the internal ferrule is 6 mm solid. But I don't want to be guessing, especially if I have to overnight the parts here to my vacation house.

(This was actually my first flight of the Nirvana. Our beach is narrow, so I when I tried a Taz, it was very close to the edge of the water. Lost control, hit the ground, and a wave swept over the kite before I could drag it up the beach. I guess I'm lucky it's just the center t. I won't be doing that again.  Sad )

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:33 PM »

Anyone know the size of the Nirvana (first ed) center t (Sky Shark frame)? I see R-Sky sells 5x5, 6x6, and 6x7 mm parts. My guess is 6x6. R-Sky lists the spine as 6 mm. The LS is Sky Shark Black Diamond 5 PT, which has an ID just over 6mm, so I'm guessing the internal ferrule is 6 mm solid. But I don't want to be guessing, especially if I have to overnight the parts here to my vacation house.

Sorry I don't know the size but Center T are cheap compared to over night shipping. get one of each  Wink

Just ran across town to A Wind of Change to pick up nocks for a repair. Measured .210. decided to pick up .220 as well.
Got home and the .220 fit not the .210.  Roll Eyes   Picking up those extra .220 was the best .99 cents I ever spent.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:33 PM by Wayner » Logged
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:37 PM »

6mm by 6mm is the one. Best to have tight fit anyway. The ferrule is 6mm as you suggest for that stick.

Nitro LS's work very well on this kite and the NSE also. The nitro has a wider internal diameter than the black diamond stick so make sure you've given the correct stick details in your message. If you do switch to nitros in the future then you can sleeve/ skim them with p100 rods and keep a 6mm ferrule Cool

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:46 PM by harveystubbs » Logged
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:58 AM »

If you go for Nitro as LS you can do as harveystubbs stated or buy a 6x7 T to make a simpler setting without using two pieces: a short section of a P100 rod and a 6mm ferrule slided inside each other and in the LS.
Simply glue a 7mm ferrule inside the Nitro rod and setup a 6x7 centerl T on the spine.  Smiley
However the standard R-Sky center T is the 6x6 one.

Paolo
red sweater

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:27 PM »

I ended up not fixing this on vacation, as I couldn't get sane express shipping rates for a center T. I'm finally now pricing out spare parts for it, and I'm having some questions.

My kite is second-hand. The stock frame is detailed here. The frame is Sky Shark, but not at all stock. This is what's different, as far as I can tell.

Spine
Stock: 6 mm
I have: Sky Shark 5PT
Comment: I'm assuming it's stronger; it's at least thicker most of the length. I don't know the weight of the stock spine. I think a 6 mm center T will still fit?

US
Stock: 6 mm, 50 cm
I have: 6 mm, 49 cm
Comment: I've read that this is better for roll ups?

LS
Stock: Sky Shark 5PT
I have: Sky Shark Black Diamond 5PT (with clear coat, I think)
Comment: Other than being smooth, is there any difference at all? It's just to save the bridle, right?

LLE
Stock: P300
I have: Nitro (I can't see the entire logo, I'm assuming standard, not strong.)
Comment: The biggest difference? The weight is actually 2g less, and I think it should be stiffer?

I can't see much of the LLE, or any of the ULE. Is there a non-destructuve way of finding out what's there? It looks like the stoppers above and below the leading edge connectors might be glued.

Does it matter? If I'm reading the specs right, this doesn't appreciably change the weight. Does it improve performance? Why were the changes made? Will it handle the lower end of its wind range as well? Will it handle stronger winds better?

Is it still worth considering Nitros for the LSs?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:32 AM »

It seems like your Nirvana is a customized one.

Spine - 5PT instead of 6mm move weight more toward tail making easier rollup tricks, besides 5PT is stiffer than regular 6mm increasing kite reactivity.

US - as you stated, besides pulling leading edges makes kite to be stiffer.

LS - not much difference between 5PT and 5PT BD, just more gentle on bridle IMHO

LLE - Stiffer as you stated and weight moved toward the middle of leading edge.

Normally elbow fittings have stoppers only below them so you can slide rods out from the leading edge simple pulling them and sliding fittings. I cannot say why the previous owner placed stoppers also above elbow fittings, but generally they aren't needed.
I think that your so setted Nirvana will be stiffer and more reactive to inputs than standard one, so more tricky, IMHO  Smiley

Paolo
red sweater

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:20 AM »

Thanks for the comments. I need to get it fixed so I can try it more. (I also need some good wind. It seems like this inland wind is usually only good fior ULs.)

One comment of my own to add:

Spine - 5PT instead of 6mm move weight more toward tail making easier rollup tricks, besides 5PT is stiffer than regular 6mm increasing kite reactivity.

The spine actually has the thicker edge at the top. It seems like that would hinder rollups, then. (There is a weight, but since I'm still working on basics, I'm not flying any of my kites with the weights on.)  Maybe the idea was to strengthen the top of the kite, to protect against crashes?

My bag:
Rev EXP
HiFly

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 04:57 AM »

fyi, it is only color-coded ... if the print is silver it is a standard, is it gold it's a strong

Mike
red sweater

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 05:14 AM »

fyi, it is only color-coded ... if the print is silver it is a standard, is it gold it's a strong

That helps. What I saw was white/silver, definitely not gold. Thanks.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change