GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 06:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do not watch if you have weak nerves: My Widow Maker makes you motion sick  (Read 1100 times)
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 13, 2012, 11:44 AM »

If I were my kite, I'd sure be motion sick.  My Widow Maker did not complain, in contrast, nor throw up or anything  Wink  And she handled the added weight of the camera quite gracefully.  Could still be tricked unexpectedly well, even rolled up without much of a problem.  Do you recognize some of the moves?

Motion Sick

Just a little raw footage from my kiting afternoon yesterday.  This is a preview of a kite video that this footage _does have_ to become.  I got plenty more...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:21 PM by JayDee » Logged

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:05 PM »

interesting view

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:12 PM »

It is interesting, but it made me really motion sick.  Embarrassed Not what I thought KAP would be.
JayDee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 07:27 PM »

It is interesting, but it made me really motion sick.  Embarrassed Not what I thought KAP would be.

Sorry to hear that.  Lips sealed  I have added a warning to the thread title to minimize further damage.  Maybe it is because it is not KAP, but KAV (kite aerial videography).  And at the time that TLA was coined, no one could imagine cameras light enough to deliver footage of reasonable quality from a stunt kite flying stunts.

Now, what mess have I created?  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Tongue

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Tmadz

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:35 PM »

KAV. Good point. And the video is pretty cool.
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 06:20 AM »

What would work here is a VERY SLOW MOW flight with maybe one or two slow backspins. In this situation tricking has no real gain to the viewer. Very nice VIEW. SLOW IT DOWN. Keep the kite upright. Maybe use 150# lines to aid in the slow flight? Just my opinion.

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
JayDee

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:04 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  Looking at my footage a few more times, I realized exactly that:  As amazing as it is that the kite can still trick, one cannot watch it for extended periods.  So I will have to do quite a bit in post production to make it more easily digestible.

In addition, I will change the flying next time.  More of the long, steady sweeps and high-up stalls, etc.  I like your term slow mow.  There was no grass to mow, though, no matter how much slow, low mowing movement I tried  Wink Cheesy   Could have mowed down a couple beach walkers, but that is not compatible with my mild-mannered nature.

The kite was on 150 x 100 lines.  But the wind was up in the 15 kn+ range and gusty, which favored faster moves.  Plus, I had no clue what it would look like, and watching snippets on the small display on location only tells you so much.  Lesson learned -- and learning  Grin

ghfisanotti

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:55 PM »

I've also attempted KAV, but also found that trying to edit material shot from a duallie was absolutely sickening, a Rev makes a much more stable platform for KAV, here is an example:

KAV - 9-jun-2012
madhabitz

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:08 PM »

My friend Steve has been doing this with a dualie and he's getting better at it each time he shoots.  Look for his posts under the username of "sspooner."

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Tmadz

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 03:26 PM »

Gerardo, that was really cool. I forget who I saw wrote it, but the Rev was the helicopter of kites and dualies were jets. I think this is certainly proof of that. Nice video. Maybe Hollywood could take a tip from you and save lots of money on boom cameras.
ghfisanotti

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 07:07 PM »

.... the Rev was the helicopter of kites and dualies were jets. I think this is certainly proof of that.

I think I have not read this phrase before, but that is the exact analogy I use to answer people who asks the difference between a quad-line and a dual-line kite.

sluggo
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 07:31 PM »

So this is what the eyes of a Fearless actually see  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change