GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 12:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PIR Portland International Raceway.  (Read 1817 times)
WonTonChickon
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 13, 2012, 12:46 PM »

lately I have been flying out at PIR (Portland International Raceway.) It is about the best in town, that I know of. On an average day, the wind hovers between 4 and 8. The wind gusts just about every 10 minutes or so. The gust stay for about 5 minutes a piece. After a few days of flying there I have gotten used to the timing, so the variable gusts are not as much of an issue. Normally I fly a Silver Fox 2.5 std. (I am hopping to get a zephyr in the mail shortly.) There are days at PIR were the wind is really fast approx 13 - 20mph's. then I break out a TOTL Spin Off, and make some noise for a change.

PIR has 2 big grass fields. The main field, does serve as overflow parking, so on Wednesdays about a third of the main field is covered with cars. The other field is an off leash dog walk. But there aren't a whole lot of dogs there. The expo center uses it to park from time to time.

I was just wondering if there were any more kite flyers that were looking for another place to fly, or know of any in the greater Portland area.

Sam
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 02:01 PM »

Portland Maine? Oregon?   There are a lot of flyers in the Oregon area...not as much in Maine though.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
WonTonChickon

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:19 PM »

Maine is just a we bit to far to drive everyday. Portland Oregon is where I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:22 PM by WonTonChickon » Logged

Sam
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 03:03 PM »

Add it to Kitemap.org They're always looking for sites to add.
WonTonChickon

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:46 PM »

http://www.kitemap.org/site-details?id=2&sname=West%20Delta%20Park for West Delta Park a.k.a. PIR
It was already posted by Kitelife.

Sam
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:03 PM »

Thanks. Should have known Barresi would have it covered.
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 10:35 PM »

Who?

If you go to Delta on enough weekends, you'll run into a 15 or so semi-regulars that come out in rotation at various times... About as good it gets without driving 2 hours to the coast.

I'm in Portland, btw... At least for a few more hours. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
glider

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:05 AM »

It has been a great summer at Delta Park.
I'm there 5 or 6 times a month.

Dave

WonTonChickon

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:26 AM »

PIR is my favorite non coastal place to fly. I was there yesterday, Dave and his friend Cheryl were there. Very neat people, and really great flyers. The wind was a little fast at first but tapered off before i had to pack up. Got the TOTL Spin Off out, then my silver fox for most of the day. My zephyr came in the mail about an hour before i left for PIR. It made it into the air as well. Very nice kite, and a big change from the Silver Fox.

Sam
WonTonChickon

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Wednesday's are not the greatest day to fly at PIR. There is a Car show on Wednesday. About half of the good field is covered by cars, by 4 pm it seems.

Sam
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 11:27 AM »

WonTon you just need the right kite:

WonTonChickon

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 11:43 AM »

I do like that theme of that kite. But me being young I only have one question. Will it yo-yo? I didn't notice any yo-yo catchers on the leading edge. but that could be due to only having one line.  Grin

Sam
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:57 AM »

no yo yos...it is more old skool...flat spins are nothing with it!!!

(been trying to find the UK maker who made the Mini Cooper Logo Quad too)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography