GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 11:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richmond Washington Regional Sport Kite Competition (RWRSKC)  (Read 1987 times)
Jezzbelle
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 15, 2012, 09:44 AM »

Today is 15 August 2012.  One month from today (15 September) is the Richmond Washington Regional Sport Kite Competition (RWRSKC) at Taylor Park in Ashland, VA.  RWRSKC is an AKA-sanctioned event, and will therefore generate points toward participation in the 2013 AKA Grand National competition.  To find out more about RWRSKC 2012, go to http://www.richmondairforce.com/RWRSKC/.  It's easy to register for RWRSKC, just go to http://www.richmondairforce.com/RWRSKC/registration.htm, fill out the form, and you're done!  You can even pay your registration fees online using a paypal account or any major credit card.

RWRSKC is a one-day, novice-oriented sport kite competition event.   The day will start with one-on-one training for each new competitor, with each novice paired up with an experienced competitor for an hour of practice.  Then, experienced and masters competitors will compete in open precision and ballet events.  After each open event, the novice version of that event will follow.  This allows new competitors to see exactly what they will be doing when they compete.  RWRSKC is the best opportunity for someone who is interested in sport kite competition to give it a try and learn what it's all about.

Sunday, 16 September has been reserved as a rain date for the competition.  We hope there will be no rain or muddy field this year. 

Registration closes for non-novices on 8 September.  Novices may register at any time up to the time for competition.
Register.  Invite a new flier to come and fly with us.

If you have any questions, call or email me.

Laura Stonestreet
RWRSKC Co-coordinator
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:49 PM »

I'll be there
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:40 AM »

Serena, Devin and Donald From Got Wind? will be there, What is the best hotel in the area? Look forward to seeing everyone again.

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48 AM »

Evidently the moderators are sleeping on the job.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Stuart99

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:25 AM »

Serena, Devin and Donald From Got Wind? will be there, What is the best hotel in the area? Look forward to seeing everyone again.

Donald

within the Town of Ashland, the Holiday Inn Express, the Sleep Inn, and the Hampton Inn are the best hotels.
Jezzbelle

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Thank you for providing the lodging information Stuart.  I haven't been checking this site.  My bad.  But you are in a better position to provide that information.  We're looking forward to seeing you there.

Laura
Jezzbelle

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:28 PM »

Good evening,

Just a quick reminder that three weeks from tomorrow, Saturday, 15 September 2012 , the Richmond Washington Regional Sport Kite Competition (RWRSKC) will be held at Taylor Park outside of Ashland, VA.  Registration is now open.  You can register online by going to  http://www.richmondairforce.com/RWRSKC.  You may also print the registration form and mail it to Marc Conklin.  Registration for non-novices closes at the end of the day on 8 September. Novices do not need to register until the day of competition. 

We look forward to seeing you there.

Laura Stonestreet
Co-coordinator RWRSKC
AKA Southeast Conference Commissioner

P.S. In a previous post on this thread, a competitor has made suggestions about places to stay near the kite field.   
Jezzbelle

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:44 AM »

Hey All,

Time is running out.  This Saturday, 8 September, is the last day for non-Novices to register for RWRSKC.  Itís easy to register.  Go to the RAF website www.richmondairforce.com and click on RWRSKC to register.  You can pay by major credit card, Pay Pal, or send a check.  RWRSKC will be held on 15 September 2012 at Taylor Park near Ashland, VA.  All other details can be found on the website.

If youíve been flying dual line kites for a long time and want to try something different, this is the perfect opportunity to be mentored by an experienced multi-line flier and compete in Novice Multi-line Precision and Ballet.  You donít have to register by the 8th to fly a Novice multi-line discipline, but a note to Marc or me letting us know of your intentions would be appreciated. 

If youíve been mentoring a new flier this summer, this is the time to let them try their wings at competitive kite flying.  Bring them along to join the fun.

If you have registered, thank you.  Weíll see you on the 15th.

Laura Stonestreet
Co-coordinator
RWRSKC
Jezzbelle

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 06:31 PM »

For all non-novices, today, 8 September 2012, is the last day to register for RWRSKC.  Go to www.richmondairforce.com and click on the RWRSKC link for registration information.  You can pay with a major credit card or PayPal.  If you want to pay by check let Marc Conklin conklincomputer@gmail.com or me thereallaura1@yahoo.com know that you are registering and send the check to me. 

Laura Stonestreet
RWRSKC Co-coordinator
Ken Bour

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:59 AM »

I had a good time yesterday at this event in Ashland, VA. This was my first kite festival as a spectator or participant. I registered as a novice and, due to nice winds (5-10 MPH) for most of the day, I was able to fly my WidowMaker. The organizers, planners, and judges were friendly, helpful, and encouraging. Everyone went out of their way to make the novices feel especially welcome. Before the competition started, the novices were paired up with an expert for an hour of practice and coaching. My mentor was Richard Mervine who ended up winning the open dual-line precision event. It's no reflection on him that his student did poorly, but it was my first time performing figures and I crashed during my technical presentation (which was made up on the spot). I bowed out of the ballet event never having attempted to fly to music.

Overall, it was inspirational to watch and enjoy so many excellent pilots - both quads and dual-lines!

I got a chance to meet the "real" Stoney, Stuart, and Jared - just a few of the GWTW names I recognized. At the end of the show, Jared and Stuart were flying his Invictive kite and doing some cool maneuvers. I only wish there had been more opportunity during the day for learning slack line tricks, but that wasn't the focus of this event.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:49 AM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Stuart99

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18 AM »

Nice meeting you too Ken!

It was nice to have so many novice flyers on the field, and quite unusual to have wind at that field. The slack-line tricks will come in time, just be sure not to rush it and learn the basics first (sharp corners, straight lines, speed control, ect.)

Awesome picture by the way.
Jezzbelle

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 09:15 AM »

The Richmond Washington Regional Sport Kite Competition (RWRSKC), held this past Saturday, was a huge success.  Many, many thanks go out to all who helped by competing, judging, sponsoring, coordinating, and scoring, and to those who were there to support the competition.  There were 6 Novice Fliers in all.  All 6 flew Dual Line Precision and 5 who flew Dual Line Ballet. We had a beautiful day with WIND (most of the time). 

To those of you who couldnít come, we missed you and hope youíll make it next year!

Thanks again,
Laura Stonestreet
Co-coordinator, RWRSKC
Jezzbelle

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 09:18 AM »

Ken, thanks for your post.  I'm glad you enjoyed the day.  As, Stuart wrote, tricks will come.  Learn the basics. 

If you don't already know, Richard Mervine got his start at RWRSKC (when it was held in Spotsylvania County).  I believe it was his 1st competition.  Stuart also got his start competing at RWRSKC.

Laura
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document