GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 10:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Active Prism EO Kite Train Ideas  (Read 4390 times)
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« on: August 15, 2012, 09:36 PM »

Headed to WSIKF with 2 EO6 and 5 EO10 kites. Planning to build a active train with all 7 kites. I have several "y" swivels and lots of line. I'm thinking of configuration of - 10 - 10 - 6 - 10 - 6 - 10 - 10. The first kite then 20' then a swivel with a 10' leader (kite on end of leader) 20' to the next swivel another 10' leader and repeat for each kite on a leader at each swivel.
Any thoughts on lengths between swivels or length of swivels?
I promise video.  Wink
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:07 AM »

On my frido chain the branching setup is

The top kite is on a 30' line. At the bottom of that is a 20' branch.  Each of these attach to a simple swivel. A 4" pigtail attaches bothering of those swivels together. Then that pigtail is attached to a swivel....
then coming downwards this is repeated:
A 20' branch and a 30'straight line.
Again each has a swivel, and a pigtail attaches those two swivels together....other end of the pigtail is connected to a swivel and then to the next section.

Repeat as needed/wished.....I have I think three lines set up like this for 10 or so kites.....fridolin had a line setup for 30+ fridos......

This should help

This is how the frido line flies
Fridolin Anders Frido 2 Stack

(sorry wrote this on the tablet this morning so the http stuff wonked off on me)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:28 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 06:24 AM »

Rob, can you sketch that? Haven't had my coffee yet.  Roll Eyes

(btw, the link didn't work for me)

Bob
MtnFlyer

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:28 AM »

Jim, how 'bout something like this, from DG's swallow page...

http://www.gombergkites.com/G-SWA2.JPG
(swallows available from Steve)

Bob
thief

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:29 AM »

i do need to get a new video of the fridos soon....now that i have a hd video camera...but as they are flying about so fast the are hard to focus on....

MtnFlyer

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 06:40 AM »

Thanks, Rob. Now I understand and I still haven't had my coffee.  Wink

Bob
boomertype

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:14 AM »

All the ideas are what I'm thinking.
Actually I have three point swivels. Dave uses one for each kite, looks like Rob uses 3.
I'm going to use 30 feet for the distance from the lead kite, and then 20 feet between each swivel. I'm thinking now I will use 15 feet on each leader to each swiveled kite.
Rob I have one Frido, never saw another till I saw your video.
I'm really curious on how active this I'll be.
Bob, I wish you could see it first hand.
If it isn't too chaotic I might fly it at the far corner of the Mass Ascension for cellulars.
Thanks for the input!
Keep it coming.  Roll Eyes
thief

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 11:22 AM »

I use, because fridolin used, two single barrel swivels....the fact that they are then larksheaded at one side is nice (and i feel better than the 3 direction) because then the branch can swing out better in any direciton needed....

The Fridos are ACTIVE!   if you look at your bridle you might notice that there is a black mark and a red mark...the red mark was Frido's "active" setting for the train...and the black was his single stable flyer mode..

Give yourself a LOT of space....when i fly the frido line i am stretching about 500' downwind...and the kites if they get organized can pull sideways about 200'....and grab onto things like an octopus...

If you change the top kite to something a lot more stable like a DC (i would stay with a framed kite not a foil since the line will be bouncing and that could collapse the foil) it would pull straighter and keep the line more in check....

thief

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 11:23 AM »

btw: i only used barrel swivels instead of ballbearing swivels because of the cost inherent....

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 12:34 PM »

I bought Gomberg's Swallow Train awhile back. I love that thing! You probably already get this part, but just in case.... the idea is that you allow more footage between branches than each branch can reach. They will still tangle themselves sometimes when two branches fly toward each other but for the most part it works.

The Swallow's line has one barrel swivel for each branch, with a bead stopper on each side of it. The bead is just a bead from the local craft shop and is just a tad larger than the hole on the swivel. The stopper is held in place with a simple overhand knot (iIRCC). The whole thing works quite well.

...and the kites if they get organized can pull sideways about 200'....and grab onto things like an octopus...

Okay, that cracked me... probably because it's true. Those suckers can organize themselves, especially if you have turbulent winds!

If you change the top kite to something a lot more stable like a DC (i would stay with a framed kite not a foil since the line will be bouncing and that could collapse the foil) it would pull straighter and keep the line more in check....

Have to agree-- having a stable lifter kite works so much better than leaving all those bouncing lines to their own devices.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
thief

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 12:52 PM »

The Swallow's line has one barrel swivel for each branch, with a bead stopper on each side of it. The bead is just a bead from the local craft shop and is just a tad larger than the hole on the swivel. The stopper is held in place with a simple overhand knot (iIRCC). The whole thing works quite well.
Got a chance to snap a picture???

...and the kites if they get organized can pull sideways about 200'....and grab onto things like an octopus...

Okay, that cracked me... probably because it's true. Those suckers can organize themselves, especially if you have turbulent winds!
The scariest thing was one day i was flying it and i looked over and the entire line that i had up that day (13) was perfectly stable....each flying on a ~45 degree angle above the main line....i had to stop and stare at it since the line is not supposed to do that at all!   
That has never happened to me since...they are always active......

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 01:30 PM »

Sure, I will snap a pic later tonight-- am off in a bit and my camera is somewhere buried in one of my bags in the car. It's much simpler than my words would indicate.

The scariest thing was one day i was flying it and i looked over and the entire line that i had up that day (13) was perfectly stable....each flying on a ~45 degree angle above the main line....i had to stop and stare at it since the line is not supposed to do that at all!   
That has never happened to me since...they are always active......

Hmmm..... I am hearing scary music.

Okay, a google search found this blog entry -- check the end of the entry:
http://b-kites.blogspot.com/2006/01/birds-line.html

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
thief

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 02:44 PM »

ooo...looking at the line and those beads it looks like all of those beads need to be strung onto the main line ahead of time....the way i did mine it is all individually pieces of line that is larksheaded individually....have to grab mine to take a picture of it....

HiFly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 01:04 AM »

I use the 3-way swivels for my birds and beer crates
easy and works

more elaborate is the version you can find here
http://www.heinrich-hohmann.de/cms/index.php?idcatside=26
it works well with 34 swallows, but a lot of work to splice all the lines and loops

Mike
boomertype

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 08:11 PM »

I use the 3-way swivels for my birds and beer crates
easy and works

more elaborate is the version you can find here
http://www.heinrich-hohmann.de/cms/index.php?idcatside=26
it works well with 34 swallows, but a lot of work to splice all the lines and loops

I have 3 way swivels for my setup.
The link you added is great.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change