GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 12:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Fran this upcoming weekend? (9/7-8)?  (Read 1738 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: September 04, 2012, 08:06 AM »

Hey forum-peeps...
Heading out to San Francisco this friday morning and staying out until Sunday night....my wife is staying out  until Wednesday for work.....
So....planning on trying to see the city as much as possible.....i will be bringing a couple of single lines at the least.......
Would love to get across the bay, but not certain it will happen....

So....
any thoughts on places to go see? eat at? hang out? any and all thoughts are welcome!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DonCrash
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:09 AM »

Truly depends on what your into...hmm...
Tickets for Alcatraz Island go fast, or rather, early fast; if your thinking of it, you should buy tickets online ASAP, as tickets tend to fill up fast. It's a self guided tour with a headphone and a locked mp3 player that you pick up inside the island.

Western side of SF is typically foggy, eastern end is the sunny side. When trying to get views of the golden gate bridge, most of the time it is covered by the fog  Sad

There is a parking lot area just before the bridge toll (free but can get packed); walking the bridge doesn't take too long.

Fisherman's wharf is a tourist place/trap. Can rent bikes to bike towards the bridge, rent a mini-go-kart and follow the map for some stuff to see.

Golden Gate Park; You would want the Eastern end of it, you've got the museums there, the Botanical Garden, other stuff, Japanese tea garden (small but cheap place to go into).

Kite related events- BASKL is having their competition this Saturday at Ocean Beach (directly west/next to Golden gate park); SF Kites have their fun fly on Sunday at Marina Green, you can see the bridge from here too at the background if its not covered by fog.

I'll post more as I think of them

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:22 AM »

Thanks DonCrash! those are brilliant!

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:50 AM »

How far you willing to drive? Wink

There's also our Ripon fun fly on Sunday.  It would be great to have you there!

Plus, we'd get to meet the legendary thief.  Cheesy

-Mike
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:12 AM »

Alcatraz Island tour is definately something you should do.
There is a lot of history there..

If you get near the big Golden Gate Park, head west to the pacific and fly a little on the nice beach there, what is it called (?) Ocean Beach, i think  Grin

Have fun
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:28 AM »

i am legen-dairy?
ha!
At this moment we are planning on getting out to ocean beach on saturday to see how people fly out there! wind comes from a different direction than herein Massachusetts! Plus I owe Tracy a beer or two Wink

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16 PM »

If your willing to drive a bit come on out to our fun fly in ripon on sunday.  ALways a great time even if the wind is absent abd it would be great to meet ya in person.
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 05:32 PM »

a beer or 2..... ?

Be sure to check out the Rogue Brewery Taphouse in SF.   Cool

Closest thing to that good, is about 9 hours north of SF.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59 PM »

a beer or 2..... ?

Be sure to check out the Rogue Brewery Taphouse in SF.   Cool

Closest thing to that good, is about 9 hours north of SF.
yes....i owe T a few beers....she did me a huge-o-matic favor last year..........

DonCrash
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:10 PM »

At this moment we are planning on getting out to ocean beach on saturday to see how people fly out there! Plus I owe Tracy a beer or two Wink

I'll be there too, either flying on the side and/or watching. It is my usual flying spot. I'll cya there  Smiley

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 06:21 AM »

There are more top notch restaurants than you can shake a stick at, bring your appetite.  Wink
The Golden Gate Bridge, from Marina Green

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography