GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 04:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our fly space  (Read 2296 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: August 16, 2012, 05:53 PM »

We were here first - I'd been here for a couple of hrs. before the guys got here. Then the soccer rats showed up.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Another

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:49 PM »

darn soccer  Cheesy , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:54 PM »

I have the same problem! One time it was high school bands from all over the country! They were setting up for a parade..... plicks :-)   my field... stay out! 
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:24 AM »

Here's the problem in the summer with one of the places that I like to fly...

The amazing thing is that in a few weeks, there will be plenty of room to fly and hardly anyone to get in the way. The best weather of the year, and everyone forgets about the beach.

madhabitz

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:57 AM »

You win Rob!

People are nuts. That's all there is to it.

Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 04:28 PM »

Love all that green grass  Smiley
Always amazed at how people set up in your area.  Angry  Kite always seem to draw the crowd.

I fly at a field with 2 adult soccer fields. I take up less than half the field. When others come to used the field where do they set up?. Not on the empty field but next to me  Roll Eyes

PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50 PM »

had same problem tonight whole field empty, im flying at the very end alone and they come right under my kite kicking their soccer ball and id been there for like 30 mins wtf? did i say whole field empty? annoying

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 03:57 AM »

I'm so jealous! At least you HAVE a place to fly! We moved to Saratoga county, north of Albany, NY and I still haven't found anything that's quite so open. Lots of trees here and rolling hills.

Bob D.
Hadge

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 11:30 AM »

Hmmm....loosen the leech line right off and try a few nice loud low passes with a couple of nice half axels at each end, that usually give 'em the hint, Oh and a couple of 'accidental' crashes nearby helps too! Angry

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 04:54 AM »

get a quad-line kite and fly directly over their heads.  Move as they do, so you are always in the way.  Do a couple of dive stops from the top of the window to directly behind them, fast as possible!  Land and ask if they want a lesson on how the handles work to control the kite. 

Go meet their coach (or parents) and ask for a field permit to be presented for your review, otherwise the kids can't be here for safety reasons and you were there first.

A dog owner is responsible for the damage caused by their animal.  A mouth full of carbon fibre is going to be extremely unpleasant/expensive and the spectra line will seriously cut if a dog runs through them or the kite takes off unexpectedly from fido's antics.

I've respectfully asked the dog's owner if I could please urinate on their car door handles since they allowed their pet to soil my kite-bag while off the leash that's required by county ordinance!
red sweater

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 06:27 AM »

I was at my annual beach vacation last week, but this time the house we picked to rent happened to be where the beach is very short (between the dunes and the ocean). Also, the wind never wanted to blow along the beach, only towards or away from the ocean. So I was standing in the gap in the dune, flying my rev (in winds that were at times not strong enough to keep it up), an the kite was nearly over the water. So yes, I was obstructing nearly the whole beach (when it was on the ground, but I tried to avoid that Wink ), but I tried to be as courteous and unobtrusive as possible to others. But then a family with young kids walking the beach stopped right under my kite for about five minutes. I was scared the wind would trail off again, and I'd bring the kite down right on their little ones. (Thankfully, the wind cooperated for their safety.) Have the parents no common sense?! And then later, after they'd continued on and turned around, where did they stop for several minutes again? Same place! Grrr.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:29 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change