GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conyne kite as a lifter for line laundry?  (Read 3679 times)
AntBTas
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 19, 2012, 01:35 AM »

Hey all,

Kind of new to this single line stuff and wondered if a Conyne kite would be ok for a lifter for line laundry?

I'd be making it my self, and thinking of one about 5 to 6 feet tall.  For line laundry there wouldn't be much to start with, i'd like to make some tails and tubes and if it would work I'd like to hang my prism flip kite and the EO 6's I've got on the way.  Not too sure if active kites like those would work too well...

In the long term some of the smaller inflatables like the plk micro octopuses and Rays (12 foot ones?) would be fun too.

A lot of my friends use big parafoils as lifters but I'd like to try something different, and I like the look of the Conyne's.  I also want to make it myself and don't trust my fairly basic skills with doing a parafoil yet lol.

And one more quick question, what would work better as a lifter size for size, a Rokkaku or a Conyne?

thanks in advance,

Ant

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:59 AM »

Delta conynes or dcs as commonly referred to are phenomenal stable liters.....
Go for it!

The flip will most likely not be happy on a line as laundry.....but you can try it..

The micros from peter Lynn come with a pilot foil that would work just fine....

I like a dc for lifting more than a rok......simpler......no adjustments needed....any wind.......they just fly.....a rok,might not be as mild mannered in unsteady winds....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:49 AM »

DC's are great all around kites.  Good lift and they fly in just about any wind. If you want to go a little bigger (DC's can be large), Double DC's are very nice as well. Both are very stable.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:24 AM »

If you add an EO, use a branch line so it can "fly". Be sure to add a swivel as they twist and dip. EOs are active flyers and do well without a lifter.
AntBTas

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:16 AM »

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to get started on the build  Smiley
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:04 AM »

Look forward to pictures Grin

Love all my DCs. They are good lifters and easy to fly in a train in you like something different.

Like Todd said and Double DC are fantastic lifters and a better choice that upsizing a standard DC IMO

A lot of my friends use big parafoils as lifters but I'd like to try something different, and I like the look of the Conyne's.  I also want to make it myself and don't trust my fairly basic skills with doing a parafoil yet lol.

parafoils are not hard to sew, just a LOT of sewing  Cheesy 

And one more quick question, what would work better as a lifter size for size, a Rokkaku or a Conyne?

Both are great lifters, so you can't go wrong.

DC's handle higher and/or tricker winds while Roks will preform better in lower winds. I built a 8' Rok for low wind KAP

tcope

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:23 AM »

I'd be making it my self, and thinking of one about 5 to 6 feet tall.  For line laundry there wouldn't be much to start with, i'd like to make some tails and tubes and if it would work I'd like to hang my prism flip kite and the EO 6's I've got on the way.  Not too sure if active kites like those would work too well...

Difference between a DC and a Rok is that the DC (Delta) does not have much adjustment for the angle that is flies at.  When the wind picks up, it will fly higher. This is what makes it nice for about any wind. The Rok can be adjusted to fly at a lower angle when needed which increases it's pull. However, the Rok needs a bit more tuning, where as the DC just flies great all on it's own.

Both kites are fairly easy to make. But they are very inexpensive to buy as well. I think both run around $60. When you factor in matrial and sticks, you are at about the same cost (but then you have labor involved when you build). But when you build, you can tell people this and its _far_ more gratifying. Also when you build, I think you understand more about kites.

If the laundry is not too heavy, I'd go with the DC. If it's a little more, I'd go with the Roc. You may also want to look at sleds such as the Premier (I think that is correct) 36. Just a great all around lifter and _very_ easy to fly and pack up. Of course, you may be set on building something and that is great.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:46 PM »

Difference between a DC and a Rok is that the DC (Delta) does not have much adjustment for the angle that is flies at.  When the wind picks up, it will fly higher. This is what makes it nice for about any wind. The Rok can be adjusted to fly at a lower angle when needed which increases it's pull. However, the Rok needs a bit more tuning, where as the DC just flies great all on it's own.

Both kites are fairly easy to make. But they are very inexpensive to buy as well. I think both run around $60. When you factor in matrial and sticks, you are at about the same cost (but then you have labor involved when you build). But when you build, you can tell people this and its _far_ more gratifying. Also when you build, I think you understand more about kites.

If the laundry is not too heavy, I'd go with the DC. If it's a little more, I'd go with the Roc. You may also want to look at sleds such as the Premier (I think that is correct) 36. Just a great all around lifter and _very_ easy to fly and pack up. Of course, you may be set on building something and that is great.

Todd, your comments are spot on.

Ant, I guess you have only one choice, you'll need all three.  Grin
AntBTas

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34 PM »

Thanks again, great advice, after reading I've definitely decided on the DC.  I've also decided to go a bit smaller too, I don't want to have to make spars that I need to break down to fit in my car, so I'm limited to about a 4 foot spar length as the biggest I can fit in my car boot or the back seat, i'm using this plan:

http://www.kitemonger.com/kiteplan/sbd/index.html

looks simple enough and the right size.  I'm figuring if it works ok I could always make a few more and fly in a train to get more lift  Grin
The double DC looks good too, as does the premier power sled!

Very good point about the cost of building, I live a LONG way south from most of you guys in the temperate island paradise of Tasmania.  I got some great advice off some of the crew down here about where to source good material for kites and to be honest was totally shocked about how much good ripstop costs.
It gives me a whole lot more respect for people who can make a living making custom kites, it must be really hard to compete with mass produced stuff.

It was a bit disappointing really, as I couldn't really justify spending the money on material of that cost (one income, kids, mortgage etc) I ended up getting some mediocre rip stop material from a chain store and I plan to frame it the old fashioned way using dowells lol.

I know it will stretch over time and may not fly too well but i'll still learn something  Smiley
In the short term I may need to limit my creative yearning for kite making to tubes and tails where it won't matter too much if they stretch, and too tissue skinned fighters  Smiley

regards

Ant
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Just picked up a DC with 9ft. wing span and man does it fly. Light winds, no problem, winds pickin' up - just flyin' higher. It's from Sun Oak kite makers, very nice ripstop nylon with basswood spars, just feels right havin' that wood in there...
Haven't tried any heavy lifting with it yet but it seems like it would haul up a good load...
Oh, and just received a Sun Oaks 12ft. delta in the mail today. We had 14mph. winds this afternoon and that kite loved it... What a great look in the sky along with two 25ft. dragons and a 55ft. for good measure. Thinkin' about hanging those dragons off the line of the delta... just for fun...
Good luck with your build, sounds like fun. And, yes, good materials are not cheap... Wink
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:41 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
AntBTas

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:24 PM »

Just picked up a DC with 9ft. wing span and man does it fly. Light winds, no problem, winds pickin' up - just flyin' higher. It's from Sun Oaks kite makers, very nice ripstop nylon with basswood spars, just feels right havin' that wood in there...
Haven't tried any heavy lifting with it yet but it seems like it would haul up a good load...
Oh, and just received a Sun Oaks 12ft. delta in the mail today. We had 14mph. winds this afternoon and that kite loved it... What a great look in the sky along with two 25ft. dragons and a 55ft. for good measure. Thinkin' about hanging those dragons off the line of the delta... just for fun...
Good luck with your build, sounds like fun. And, yes, good materials are not cheap... Wink

They sound great!  I'd love to be able to order some of the larger kites down here, but living in Tasmania means the postage is pretty horrendous, in some cases almost twice the price of the kite lol.
ah well, the price of living in paradise  Grin
bzzh8c

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 06:37 AM »

I think Conyne's make great lifters. 

Especially when they're like the one I built years ago....

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2737238070054094352Gdwckq

Tmadz

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 02:58 PM »

That's a monster! How did you get her down? Did she lift anything?
red sweater

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 01:19 PM »

I've looked at it 10 times and ways, and still can't figure out what's below the right wing. Is that a person?

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 03:21 PM »

Im hoping its a 'kite dude' line laundry maybe from another kite?

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum