GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 03:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: talon ul versus exile ul  (Read 2570 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: May 24, 2009, 02:53 PM »

hi all i fly in an area where the winds are generaly smooth i have an exile and really like the way it fly;s exept that i find it harder to get into a fade than other kites anyway i am looking  to buy something new to play with i have a QP sul and enjoy it but it is nowhere near as floaty as the exile  ideas thanx KO

have fun kurt
Mark E Mark
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 03:44 PM »

I've never flown an Exile but the Talon UL is easy to get into a fade and easy to hold it there too
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:00 PM »

BMK makes nice  kites Smiley
JoE makes awesome kites Wink
Nobody in the business makes kites like JoE. Thats it Thats all Shocked

The new Frank!
ko

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 09:16 PM »

thank you still pondering

have fun kurt
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 01:31 AM »

hi all i fly in an area where the winds are generaly smooth i have an exile and really like the way it fly;s exept that i find it harder to get into a fade than other kites anyway i am looking  to buy something new to play with i have a QP sul and enjoy it but it is nowhere near as floaty as the exile  ideas thanx KO

How are you getting into the fade?  I've not had a problem with my Exile, so it sounds like a technique thing.  Different kites respond in different ways, not necessarily better or worse than others, just differently.

If you are going from a flare to a fade, some kites prefer you don't flare too far, and are better when you do the second pop before the kite is flared completely flat on its belly.

If you are getting into the fade by popping half way round a standard axel, then try popping the axel with one hand and flipping into the fade using the only other hand by itself - don't flip into the fade using both hands together.

KMAC makes excellent kites, so does Mark Clements - but they make different kites.  If you want all out trick, it's hard to look past the Talon.  If you want an all round kite that is excellent at tricking, the Exiles are excellent (and a bit cheaper than the imported JoE)

...my 2 cents.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
ko

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 07:13 AM »

thanx for that K. i will give your methods a try i REALLY like the exile it IS a great kite and so will continue working on it  ---1/2 axle to fade is my method of choice . when it is light i go from flair to fade and out of a wrap a little more . thanx KO

have fun kurt
DaveH
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 07:28 AM »

Kevin, good call pointing him in the direction of technique, but I think the term popping might  not be the best for this situation.  Maybe smoother pulls?  Anway, my Exile fades very nicely.  However, if you let the nose go past level in the flair it can become less than willing to rotate into the fade. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:49 AM by DaveH » Logged
RoyReed

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 03:29 AM »

Do you have any weight on the Exile UL? if not, try 15g. It'll help getting into a fade either from a flare or a fractured axel. Until mine met with an untimely end I had no problem getting into or holding a fade.

Roy
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 07:25 AM »

OMG.  Huh

That is extremely unfortunate Roy.

Cry
ko

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 07:42 AM »

JEEEEEZ roy FRIGHTNING!! i carry mace but i think i will get the bear size after that!! about the weight i am flying the standard and have had it with all off and a every thing in between i have checked the bridle ala stapp but ordered a new 1 anyway it is probably me we shall c sorry for the loss KO i so want to get it i wish there was another 1 around
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:20 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
stapp59
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 02:23 PM »

I have both Exile and Talon sets with much more time on the Exiles. The Talon has a higher aspect ratio and rolls up a little faster.  Both will fade fine.  As was mentioned above two or three weights will help getting into the fade on the Exile std.  Bridle settings shouldn't matter alot unless far away from Ken's defaults.  I use the middle SO holes almost exclusively.  Bumpy winds will knock you out of a fade unless carefully tended.

As was also mentioned, the Exile is a more of an all rounder and the Talon definitely freestyle oriented. Both are great kites that have different personalities.  Sorry not to be more specific.

Steve
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 03:47 AM »

I own an Exile UL and flew it back to back with a Talon UL a while ago.
My impressions -
The Exile UL needs less wind, into SUL territory but like an SUL rewards good technique. Its floaty and while it will do lots of tricks it likes to be coaxed more than spanked.
The Talon UL needs more wind but is easier to spank around and flies like a Std but in UL winds.

It would depend on your priority - if you need to fly in the absolute lowest winds go with Exile UL, if you want something as easy as possible to trick go Talon UL.

IMO you need both  Wink

ko

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 08:40 AM »

worked on it sun. definitely me.. i think the reason i had problems is that i had more luck with the QP's the shadow and the skymaster ul so i figured i new what i was doing WRONG   i wll get it though  thanx all for the support somethings are impossible to figure out from vids  IAN i want both but plan on purchasing the elu and then bugging you a lot as i just got an old kenmore tuned and ready for a first build!! thanx again KO ps it was tuned by a master kite builder thanx again also to her!!!

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document