GWTW Forum
August 25, 2016, 09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism Nexus 5 Stack - window seems small  (Read 2390 times)
Pikman
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 24, 2016, 12:42 AM »

Hi all,

I am not sure if it is my mind or if this is how the stack performs but when flying, it seems to have a smaller window than any single kite I have flown. Is this typical of stacks?

Also, can I adjust the bridle to speed it up at all? I think that I would shorten the upper bridle to bring the nose in - is it sensible to try to mess with this on a stack or just leave as is?

Thanks in advance Smiley
Jon

Highflyer's Club Spectre (p8 on the link below)
Flexifoil Scorpion (p5)
http://www.whkf.org.uk/Scrapbook/MK93.pdf
Prism Nexus 5 Stack
Benson Deep Space (very kindly donated to help me learn some tricks!)
A handful of 90's kites Smiley
kiteking
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:54 AM »

I have my stacks bridle set to the low wind setting

the wind window for my stack is wide depending the wind

a stack is like a heavier kite and requires more wind to fly

12-15mph is optimal

hope this helps

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-13

#518  -    #110883 -

Pikman

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 05:04 AM »

Ha, you should have said RTFM Smiley
Thanks for the thought, it does say there is a light wind setting - I'll try it next time.

Last time I flew, it was at least in the 12-15 range, probably a bit too windy - fun though!

Thank you Smiley

Flexifoil Scorpion (p5)
Prism Nexus 5 Stack
thekitedude

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:00 PM »

I didn't like the way my stack flew either. I ended up seperating out the first kite and adjusting on it until I liked the way it flew (think I ended up shortening the upper bridle lines) then putting the stack back together. Flew much better then.
Henri

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 01:23 PM »

My team flies 4 5-nexus stacks with the tails. We found that we had best results with a much lighter bridle, and moved toward the top cross above the light wind knot by 1 to 2 inches depending on the wind (lighter setting when the wind goes up). We fly them from 6 to 8mph to around 24mph.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:46 PM by Henri » Logged
kiteking
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 08:45 AM »

My team flies 4 5-nexus stacks with the tails. We found that we had best results with a much lighter bridle, and moved toward the top cross above the light wind not by 1 to 2 inches depending on the wind (lighter setting when the wind goes up). We fly them from 6 to 8mph to around 24mph.

Henri

Thank for the info, I set my 7-stack bridle above the lite wind mark about 1.5 inches and the stack preformed well in 6-7mph

That just opened up many more times when the wind is low to be able to fly my stack

would love to see your team perform    any video or pic's??

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-13

#518  -    #110883 -

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 06:15 PM »

My team flies 4 5-nexus stacks with the tails. We found that we had best results with a much lighter bridle, and moved toward the top cross above the light wind not by 1 to 2 inches depending on the wind (lighter setting when the wind goes up). We fly them from 6 to 8mph to around 24mph.

Thanks Henri,

I have the same issue. Will pull out my stack and make the same changes.

How light a bridle are you flying on?  Different bridle weight for the front kite then the others?

Thanks
Wayne
Henri

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 01:36 PM »

Thanks Henri,

I have the same issue. Will pull out my stack and make the same changes.

How light a bridle are you flying on?  Different bridle weight for the front kite then the others?

Thanks
Wayne
About 4 to 5cm closer to the top than the light wind knot (we fly with the tails). All stack lines the same length. 150 to 200 pound lines, 150ft.
You can find some pictures on the Cream Team, Kite team from Chantilly Facebook pages and here https://www.facebook.com/PixFlo.B/photos/pcb.1671851823080324/1671851293080377/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:43 PM by Henri » Logged
Henri

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 01:50 PM »

An interesting trick with the nexus stack:
Lay the kites on their bellies (nose in the wind), double check that the stack lines are well placed (the lines to the kite behind have to be above the wingtips, those going to the kite in front below... Unwind your lines, take the handles and walk back fast for about 15ft: dead launch! (you can stop walking when the last kite takes off).
johnfarl

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 02:59 PM »

Same experience my setting is ab out 1 inch above light wind point. Also tried a short lineset and no tails and in low wind had a good time trying to perfect an axle. 
Pikman

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 01:49 PM »

Thanks for these tips all. I took it out this weekend and only now, while Googling in frustration, found so many replies! Totally forgot I asked.
Suffice to say, I didn't think about setting it above the lighter setting... I will try this next Smiley

Any thoughts on the other knot that moves? The one that slides just below the line connection point and I think goes to the tips? I understand it will make the turns slower/faster. Is this just down to preference?

Thanks all, this is super useful!
Jon

Flexifoil Scorpion (p5)
Prism Nexus 5 Stack
Henri

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 08:23 AM »

The other knot can be slided away while performing the adjustment (it will help...) but should be set back against the prussik knot after.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom