GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 09:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nexus 5 stack  (Read 2744 times)
KennyB
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: August 26, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Hello all, im a newbie to this forum. I been flying SLKs for years, well I saw a nexus 5 stack on my local CL for sale for 100 so i had to go get it. Ive never flown a stunt kite till today, I must say im hooked and i had a blast. I wasnt sure if i should try to fly all 5 my first time out so I took the first kite of the stack and headed down to edgewater park. it took me a few tries in low wind to get it up but i finally got it and i was stoked. cant wait to do it again, Im going to practice a bit more with the 1 kite before i launch the stack. all in all i think i got a great deal on a sweet kite and i had a lot of fun flying it.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Welcome to the Forum.

Keep flying 1 kite until you can keep it in the air and do turns and circles

in both directions.

At that point, you can add any number of kites you want.

However, all 5 kites will pull very hard in stronger winds. Good luck.

Here is Mike's 6 stack. Hyperlinked™:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 05:23 PM »

I have the 5-stack and bought a 6th so now it is a 6-stack.

I highly recommend measuring (and fixing) the link lengths between the kites.

Mine was a MAJOR pain to fly and it rocked all over the place.

After I made all line exactly the same it flies like a dream.]

My opinion: The Nexus is a TOUGH kite to fly.  Very narrow wind range.  Put 6 together and it pulls hard but still needs high winds.

For the first time you do a stack...have a friend able to pounce when you land unless you are skilled.

Also, always land tip down, you can rotate off the nose but, again, unless you are skilled.

If you ever decide to sell, let me know.  I think a 12 stack would be fun!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
KennyB

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 06:45 PM »

Thanks guys, I did pretty good today then..the wind was only blowin about 8 or so and not very consistant. I managed some figure 8s, some quick turns right at the ground, some horizontal flying, some circles in both directions, i did get a bit confused when my lines were twisted but i still didnt crash it very hard. it was pretty cool I cant wait to fly the stack. I ll try to get some pics when i do.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:51 PM »

Here is Mike's 6 stack.

Sorry, John can only count to 6, its really 7

I hope to get some greats shots from a lady at WSIKF, I was flying over the ocean, then had a couple of kids (6 and 10?) fly them, I don't their face will return to normal for weeks to come

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

udin9568
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:57 PM »

Do what Mr. Chilese tell yea...Nexus can be a handful with wind starts blowing...then again...thats when the fun begin Wink...people kinda go ga-ga with its 10 tail... Kiss
Tekcor1

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:49 PM »

The photo of that 7 stack looks like so much fun! Makes me want to get a stack to fly, not just one. Can any stunt kites be stacked? If I buy one now and a couple more later can I stack them as I get them?
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:53 AM »

You can stack any stunt kite you want.  Here's my Premier Vision stack

me n the stack by Ca Ike, on Flickr

https://vimeo.com/35674754

And my prism switch stack (only 4 of the 6 kites stacked in this vid though) Got to get the six stack tuned now that its assembled.

https://vimeo.com/42107758

And my old prism Jazz 3 stack that went to another flier

https://vimeo.com/20848458
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:01 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
KennyB

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 04:15 PM »

Nice 6 pack Ike....I havent flown my stack yet...I did notice that my pigtails and connecting links are not exactly the same length so I will try and get that all dialed in before i head out with it. Im new to stunt kites so im still having fun with just the 1 kite in the air.
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01 PM »

yea you need to have all the link lines exactly the same length or you get a wobbly stack.  Once you do that if its still wobbly then you shorten the last kite lower link lines by about 1 inch.
KennyB

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 09:27 PM »

what lines should i use for the 5 stack? what do you use on that 6 pack Ike?
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 09:39 PM »

what lines should i use for the 5 stack? what do you use on that 6 pack Ike?
Our host sells the stack with a 100' x 200lb lineset. That is what Prism includes with the stack.
KennyB

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 10:12 PM »

Thanks, it came with what looks to be the right set. ill have to check the length to be sure.
Ca Ike

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 11:17 PM »

Depending on the stack and wind I like Mike will use anything from 100-300# line. I would invest in a 250 or 300# set for the stack.  THe stock 200 is good but since you got it used you don't know what condition the lines are in or what weight.  I've broken 200# on my vision stack and it doesn't pull as hard as the nexus stacks i have flown. 

Steve has some power kite line that is a spectra blend that works good for stacks and you don't have to sleeve it.  I'm sure he can cut you a set if he still has the bulk rolls with some left.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change