GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get the lead, I mean sand out...  (Read 1152 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: August 23, 2012, 11:31 AM »

Just received a kite with an amazing amount of ultra fine sand generously distributed though-out kite and bag. Can't believe it's good to have all that micro abrasion... But how to clean? Disassemble and wash? Can I wash the sail to flush out all the grit from the leading edge pockets? Any advice on this?

Anthony
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:47 PM »

I feel your pain, I'm not a fan of the sand everywhere either.  Especially when it gets inside the LE's or spars/ferrules.  Huh

I will sometimes blast out LE pockets & spars with the air compressor, just don't go too crazy with the pressure.  That and I will hose them off with water and simple green, sometimes scrub with a very light brush.  Actually I use a wheel brush that I attach to my cordless drill, works great and it's very soft.  Got it on clearance @ Kragen ages ago and it's now become my "kite sail cleaning brush."   Cheesy

-Mike
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:50 PM by Smeagol » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:41 PM »

I think you are right to be concerned, but I often don't worry too much about it unless the kite it really covered in wet sand, etc in which case I just shower it off in the best way that I can.

I have noticed that the sand does tend to work its way down the LE tunnel and then rests between the lower APA and the LE tunnel where is then causes some wear issues.  I've got one kite 3 years old now that had developed a wear hole (on both sides) in this area due to the sand.  So, if I do not wash out the tunnel area, I will check that spot and clear it out at least.

I mostly fly on grass so I don't worry about it.

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:05 PM »

Before I roll up any kite flown on sand, wet or dry, I use what my father commonly called a foxtail broom on the whole kite, spars and sail alike.  I picked one up that wasn't too stiff at my local Ace hardware (with a dustpan nestled) for $2.99.

>

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
whitebirdlover

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:14 AM »

Might need a dust pan to assure not creating a desert in the midwest...  Wink

It's all good, the seller has agreed to accept the kite for return...  Smiley

Anthony
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:46 AM »

I tell you what, after my beach vacation this year, i still cant get rid of it all. If it came out of the kite bag, it had sand everywhere. Webbing, stitching, folds, creases...

I think i will be seeing it for years. However it does not effect how the kite flies, so maybe flying it off is the best choice..

Kirby
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:24 PM »

Just an afterthought but I only fly on sand.  My kites haven't been damaged and because our beaches are very soft there's no such thing as a hard landing.  I've had more broken parts flying on grass and hard ground.  I'll take the sand as the spars don't break. 
whitebirdlover

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 04:46 AM »

I'll take the sand as the spars don't break. 

With our lack of rain we have grasscrete at my flying field. I tried to screw in an anchor for a large Conyne and, as they say out east, 'forget about it!'.
I still feel that sail fabric and fittings are degraded by abrasion, especially in leading edge pockets and spar coupling. To ask the question again, has anyone washed their sail off the framing?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:34 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:48 PM »

I'll take the sand as the spars don't break. 

I still feel that sail fabric and fittings are degraded by abrasion, especially in leading edge pockets and spar coupling. Toask the question again, has anyone washed their  off the framing?

Sure!  Anytime one of our kites has to be put back wet into a sleeve, at the first opportunity afterward it is taken out of the sleeve, the sleeve turned inside out and dried, and the kite gets to a shower, where water is flushed into the leading edge pockets and the whole kite is rinsed and then dried completely assembled and tensioned except for the stand-offs.  It isn't perfect, of course..........some heavy grained sand will remain, but in my experience, sand is just one of the things that will wear out your kite with time and use.  Ultraviolet light, is probably, in my opinion, the hardest on a sail, and unplanned heavy contact with terra firma the hardest on the spars.  I don't sweat the whole thing too much.......I'd rather fly Undecided

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change