GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 06:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to pick one kite for beginner/intermediate trick flying  (Read 5922 times)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 08:19 AM »

I guess my best plan would be to figure out what exactly is making my sky dart fly poorly and get it fixed.
It's not a very good kite is the major problem. The Sky Dart was my first kite... in 1990 ! The best you can do is make it straight and (roughly) symmetrical.

How do I attach a tail to the sky dart? When we were at Seaside we stopped at a kite shop there and I noticed that most of the stunt kites now have a loop on the end for a tail; the sky dart does not. Can I just sew on a loop?
I am about to give advice on attaching a tail to a stunt kite. The Mayans may have been right.
Make a loop of bridle line around the spine spar. Just a larkshead will keep it well enough in place. Attach the tail to this.

Final question about the sky dart. I know it's an old kite, but how does it compare to newer kites.
It sucks the sweat of a dead man's...... it's not at all good. By today's standards it wouldn't represent a good beach toy. A modern kite will do so much more and so much better that you may find it hard to believe they are based on the same principles.

Don't kid yourself that there is One True Answer - your time is better spent with one of the suitable kites available rather than looking for the perfect example.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 12:07 PM »

I would NOT get an UL kite in this instance first. If you are fairly new to modern kites you need a standard kite you can learn a great deal on with a decent wind range. A skyburner widow maker would not be a bad choice at all plus you can take off the velcro weight and the upper spreader for really light wind days. Otherwise fly as many kites you can get your hands on first  Cool
PAW
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 06:03 AM »

http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Stunt_Kites/Trick_Kites/Maestro_Stunt_Kite
...and pimp it this way:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8250.0
...if you do this, then you have a kite that handles the UL and STD windrange with good precision, control and trickpotential...after a while, when you grow with the kite, you can upgrade it step by step too...perfect for beginners or low budget pilots !
 Wink
Tekcor1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 11:42 AM »

Holy smokes there's a whole lot of info. From the outside looking in, you would have no idea it would be so hard to pick. It's just a kite after all! Tongue

I think I've decided that I'm going to wait until the Whidbey Kite Festival and try to pick one up there. It should be a great time to take the family and make a day of it. I'll let everyone know what kite I get when I get one.

I also appreciate those that told me that my Sky Dart is a POS. I won't try to use it as a second kite. I'll just keep it for my kids until they're a few years older and don't do so many nose plants. Although, I'm wondering if maybe it's just a ploy by you guys to get me to sell my finely tuned piece of engineering magic. Well nice try boys, I'm not falling for it!  Cheesy
Tmadz

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 02:50 PM »

No confusion. It's a POS. there are so many great kites, but keep in mind the boutique kites are only worth it for the most experienced fliers. IMHO , Prism is great to learn on until you're really ready to mov up. Then you'll want to try OPK (other peoples kites) to see what fits you.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 03:37 PM »

but keep in mind the boutique kites are only worth it for the most experienced fliers. 

I totally disagree with that statement. High end kites are built better and fly better than factory made kites. Our host put me in a boutique kite 2 weeks after I started flying. It accelerated the learning process immensely.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
PAW
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 03:54 PM »

but keep in mind the boutique kites are only worth it for the most experienced fliers. 

I totally disagree with that statement. High end kites are built better and fly better than factory made kites. Our host put me in a boutique kite 2 weeks after I started flying. It accelerated the learning process immensely.

Denny
I agree with Denny, but there are high end kites that suck too !
Tekcor1

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 04:36 PM »

So now that I've decided to pick up a kite at the Whidbey Kite festival, I should probably have a list of kites to look for. Obviously they won't have every kite there, so I need several that would be good kites, maybe in an ordered list on which ones to look for first. Here's what I have so far from this thread. How would you change or reorder the kites? Also, what should I expect to pay for each kite?

1.  Prism Zephyr
2.  Skyburner Freestylist Std
3.  Exile
4.  Skyburner Wahoo
5.  Widowmaker UL
trigger

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38 PM »

i really like my zeph!  it is good to a really low wind but it is not a sul .  it is very tricky (maybe not in my hands though  Cry ) and the price/quality are very good!  i do also love my 4d when mother nature is against me.  they keep me flying in all my inland winds.

that being said i am looking at a widowmaker!  i think they are an all around GREAT kite!  but much more expensive new.  i think i would go with a STANDARD though for a much wider wind range.  then pick up a sul for the "HOW IS YOUR KITE FLYING???" days.

enjoy and dont get discouraged!  it takes time to find the perfect field
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39 AM »

If you get out to Whibdey, meet up with Tpatter and Kantaxel if you can.  I'm sure Jim will bring his kite trailer if he goes (one of them anyway Tongue) so you will have lots to try and two good guys to help guide you in person.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 03:12 AM »

So now that I've decided to pick up a kite at the Whidbey Kite festival, I should probably have a list of kites to look for. Obviously they won't have every kite there, so I need several that would be good kites, maybe in an ordered list on which ones to look for first. Here's what I have so far from this thread. How would you change or reorder the kites? Also, what should I expect to pay for each kite?

1.  Prism Zephyr
2.  Skyburner Freestylist Std
3.  Exile
4.  Skyburner Wahoo
5.  Widowmaker UL

I'd move the Exile and Widowmaker to the top of this list.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 05:24 AM »

Well said !

i really like my zeph!  it is good to a really low wind but it is not a sul .  it is very tricky (maybe not in my hands though   ) and the price/quality are very good!  i do also love my 4d when mother nature is against me.  they keep me flying in all my inland winds.

Don't buy a zeph. Buy something made outside of china. The zeph is nicely stiched but the use of materials is slightly questionable. I would not recommend one of these though they fly OK once seriously tuned up. The Zeph isn't even an UL nevermind an SUL !

I would buy a talon if you want to learn tricks or a NSE or WM std if you want tricks and precision. Cool
King-J

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 05:52 AM »

+1 on the Widow Maker, I have had two Exile's the std and the ul, sold the std didn't care that much for it, still own the ul, but since I got my TNT's the only one to see air time is occasionally the Widow Maker when winds get to high to risk a $600 kite Wink

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 08:38 AM »

Well said !

i really like my zeph!  it is good to a really low wind but it is not a sul .  it is very tricky (maybe not in my hands though   ) and the price/quality are very good!  i do also love my 4d when mother nature is against me.  they keep me flying in all my inland winds.

Don't buy a zeph. Buy something made outside of china. The zeph is nicely stiched but the use of materials is slightly questionable. I would not recommend one of these though they fly OK once seriously tuned up. The Zeph isn't even an UL nevermind an SUL !

I would buy a talon if you want to learn tricks or a NSE or WM std if you want tricks and precision. Cool

I don't get this comment.  I have 3 zephs and have no issues with them at all.  Use of materials questionable?  its an Icarex sail with skyshark frame.  As tuned from the factory with Marks specs they fly from 3-15 easily with the sweet spot for tricking with the weight in at 3-10 and trickable up to 15 but lots of movement above 12 needed.  For 1-3 you need to remove the weight and go 1/4 inch above the top knot. Not to mention its a tough kite. With the deals you can get on the 2010 colors its an even better deal at $125-$145 through Dave at Kite Connection (Steve might not have any 2010 zephs left and I know Dave bought out prisms remaining stock after Steve's deal)  For His $150 budget its a good choice and one even his kids can learn on. 

However I will still say for everything Tekkor is looking for in a kite, its a better choice to save up a bit more and get a set of Freestylists.  With all the kites I have had for beginner-intermediate that set served me the best and is now serving the last guy I taught to fly on them.  At $160 ish per kite they are a great value for the performace you get out of a medium size wing.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 08:54 AM »

Whoa everyone!  This gentleman has a budget and is basically a beginner in the world of newskool kites........The question is not what's the most expensive kite we can find that is way past the budget or anyone's personal favorites..........For myself, I have only met a couple of kites I just didn't like, but there were plenty of fliers on the other end of the spectrum that did.  In the end, we all favor certain characteristics over others according to our own style or lack thereof  Shocked Wink  Let's not bash Lam or John or Ken or China (where almost all kites are now made) and stay on the topic.   OR do I have to call in Guido? Embarrassed

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography