GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 09:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to pick one kite for beginner/intermediate trick flying  (Read 6615 times)
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 09:20 AM »

The problems I have relate to the older zeph. In terms of build. I should have be specific on that point.

1. The bridle line is lumpy as the core shifts in relation to the sleeving. Not a big problem.
2. The padding by the standoffs at the base of the sail is an odd choice and is perfectly placed to get wet and heavy on damp ground
3. The leech line is slowly eating it's way through the trailing edge of the kite.
4. The tail has needed stitching.

The kite weighs more than some standards it doesn't fly as low other ULs. I can easily fly the std exile in lower wind than the zeph.

The kite is made in China and I would rather have something made by the person it was designed by. There is significant value in this and goes for any product .... a boat, a musical instrument almost anything.
A WM or exile is better built but they are more expensive. I am not bashing anyone just expessing an opinion.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:24 AM by harveystubbs » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 09:35 AM »

Aside from the Wahoo, I've owned all those kites.   The one that I wish that I still had is the Exile in either standard or UL, but I'd get the Standard first. 

Actually, any of kens kites are excellent flyers - extremely smooth and satisfying.  Also, there are usually some in the swap tent so that's good news. 

6 kite tom
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 01:58 PM »

Harvey

I share your assesment of the zephs weakness.

The kite weighs more than some standards it doesn't fly as low other ULs. I can easily fly the std exile in lower wind than the zeph.

but the new zephs do not have these build issues.

The problems I have relate to the older zeph. In terms of build. I should have be specific on that point.

1. The bridle line is lumpy as the core shifts in relation to the sleeving. Not a big problem.
2. The padding by the standoffs at the base of the sail is an odd choice and is perfectly placed to get wet and heavy on damp ground
3. The leech line is slowly eating it's way through the trailing edge of the kite.

Understand the high quality craftmanship argument, having skyburnners, Blue Moons, Bensons among others, But some fine high-end kites included the zephyr and shadow are only make in china. There is no option to buy a custom made version.

For a newbe. The craftmanship can easly be beaten out of it while learning to fly and trick. So the extra cost is wasted.

To me we should let the newbe know they are paying extra for craftmanship that maybe be may or may not want or may wreak in their learning process.
harveystubbs

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 02:12 PM »

Is the Prism Quantum Pro the only Prism made in the USA now ? Cool
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 02:22 PM »

I think Quantum Pro is only kite made in Seattle , in Prism for now.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 11:05 PM »

The kite is made in China and I would rather have something made by the person it was designed by. There is significant value in this and goes for any product .... a boat, a musical instrument almost anything.
A WM or exile is better built but they are more expensive. I am not bashing anyone just expessing an opinion.

Ah yea the early run zeph issues.  I have a few of those build issued on my "blemished" Zeph from the early run.  THey got fixed fairly fast though.
Tekcor1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 03:44 AM »

So nothing will tear the fabric of a kite forum apart quite as quickly as asking its members to list the best kites in order.  Cheesy

Seriously though I do appreciate all the feedback. It's armed me with some valuable information to assist me in making a kite choice at the festival. Speaking of which, what year did the Zephyr stop having problems? And is there a way to tell how old it is so that if I run across one I know if it's one that should be avoided or not? I had a forum member offer to sell me a Zephyr and I'm going to look at it at the Whidbey Kite Festival, but it sounded like it wasn't in perfect condition, and honestly I'd like to get one that is in great condition for my first kite. I'd like to be the one who beats the hell out of it!  Huh
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 04:02 AM »

So nothing will tear the fabric of a kite forum apart quite as quickly as asking its members to list the best kites in order.  Cheesy
As this section's moderator, let me tell you that this is cheerful banter. You are highly unlikely to reach a universal view on..... well, anything really. Embrace diversity.

And is there a way to tell how old it is so that if I run across one I know if it's one that should be avoided or not?
Run the bridle line through your fingers. If it's lumpy then it's from the early, worrisome-to-Harvey batch. I had one like this and didn't really consider it that much of a problem. It really only becomes one if you're used to the more rarefied air of boutique kites lovingly made by a craftsman, rather than something banged out on some production line that's doing tents on the afternoon shift.

Personally I reckon that the Zephyr is almost all the kite anyone not taking this hobby very seriously is going to need. So naturally I let mine go quite quickly  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 04:21 AM »

Oh...do not worry....this exact thread has come multiple times over this forums history....and each time there are no bloody noses or blackened eyes.....just members seething internally for years later because they were told that a pink and rainbow kite is not awesome.......but if you put a RV or unicorn on it that helps......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
harveystubbs

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 05:14 AM »

If you found one of the older zephs at the right price then it would not be a bad kite for thrashing around and tricking. A widowmaker would be a much better option I think. It flies neutral, not too quick and will give you better feedback into the learning curve. It will also save you trying to flog your zeph 6 months from now. Cool
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2012, 07:06 AM »

i have a CDC Stx 1.9 and a Level One JTM that might work as well for you......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
red sweater

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 07:09 AM »

It will also save you trying to flog your zeph 6 months from now. Cool

6 months to outgrow noob state? I must be a freakin idiot. Anyone got a Freestylin' for Dummies book they could loan me?

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
DWayne

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 07:29 AM »

6 months to outgrow noob state? I must be a freakin idiot. Anyone got a Freestylin' for Dummies book they could loan me?

Now that there is funny.  Cheesy
But remember, guys that stick to one model of kite, have lots of spare time, and fly at the beach, progress fast. Guys that fly 5 different models every other weekend at their local inland fields, not so much.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42 AM »

Now that there is funny.  Cheesy
But remember, guys that stick to one model of kite, have lots of spare time, and fly at the beach, progress fast. Guys that fly 5 different models every other weekend at their local inland fields, not so much.  Wink

Denny

I can attest to that. I tend to figure more out in my week of beach flying on vacation than I do in the rest of the year on my crappy inland fields. Smooth wind makes a huge difference when learning.
trigger

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 09:08 AM »

Ok...3rd month inland...

Arms straight out and pull back while stepping back... got it!

Which way does the kite face again?  I gotta get this, i am sick of climbing the latter and setting the kite on the edge of the roof.... dont know why my wife wont throw it into the air for me anymore?!?!

Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document