GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: some kites made it to the front page of r/pics on Reddit  (Read 838 times)
rwbford
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 27, 2012, 08:38 PM »

Not sure if anyone here goes on reddit but this made it to the front n thought you guys would like it

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:51 PM by rwbford » Logged
rwbford

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:53 PM »

Hmm did somethin wrong there...

Here's the link:

http://i.imgur.com/SvIqE.jpg
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:59 PM »

Thank you Photoshop™.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:14 PM »

Thank you Photoshop™.
Processing: S Curve adjustment and saturation increase

Dear Lord, he might as well have just drawn it by hand, the monster !1! /outrage

A good picture tweaked is no less a good picture, first and foremost. And that is a good picture.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
rwbford

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:23 PM »

This is what the guy said about the photo. Claims no funny business, but im by far no photographer....

Quote from post:

–] samcornwell 38 points 7 hours ago Hey everyone, thanks for all the messages. I'll tell the story that I told when I uploaded this picture a few years ago: This is not a creation... This is Kites in a Storm. This photo has been published on an international scale and has been very succesful. It's been featured in the UK Independent newspaper as one of the best photos of the year (2007) and won several awards. The story behind the picture. It was August 2006 and I was living in Southsea, Portsmouth. Every year a kite festival comes to town and is displayed on Southsea's grassy common. This year in particular, I went down with my wide angle lens hoping to catch myself a winner. It started out a nice sunny day, but then started to cloud over with a storm coming in from the East. I was watching a demonstration on one side of the common, when I turned round and saw the most dramatic sight. The funny shaped kites had dropped down low to the ground just metres away from me. All of a sudden above me the clouds broke and lit up the common and the kites creating gorgeous shadows on the grass. I remember almost shaking trying to take a photograph. I managed to get about 20 frames with this one being the best. I believe every photographer will get a once in a lifetime photograph like this. Mine just happened to come along early in my career. Processing: S Curve adjustment and saturation increase Camera Setup: 12mm, F/13, 1/60. ISO100 Moral of the story: Luck favours the prepared. Always turn around and check out the scene behind you.
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 10:46 PM »

This is what the guy said about the photo. Claims no funny business, but im by far no photographer....
The problem for him is two fold:-
a) he posted it to Reddit, rarely a welcoming place
b) "I took this photo 6 years ago today. It has NOT been manipulated. I will answer any questions about it." is a dumb topic heading considering it has been manipulated and see a) above.

In terms of editing he's barely touched it though.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
rwbford

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 10:58 PM »

Haha yeah, reddit is realy not a very nice place. hence i only posted the link to the direct photo not the reddit thread. I also very strongly caution anyone who hasnt been on reddit and decides to take a peek! Mostly nsfw material. Not all bad though... But mostly  Wink

I was just very happy to see kites pop up on there!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:02 PM by rwbford » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:41 AM »

That shot would have been great on Kodachrome 64. 

That film was sort of the arbiter of good taste.

It's funny, I still think in it's palette after all these years without it.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change