GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half Axels for sale... What a great night...  (Read 3006 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: August 29, 2012, 08:50 PM »

Well Wednesday is Kite Night on the west side.   I got there about 4:00pm at School Craft College were we fly.  Wind SUCKED.  To start with our Soceer field was taken happens once a year.  Went to other side to fly and  no wind.  Took out Sul a few teaser's.  :'( :'(  About 6:00pm I decide to leave.  So at 6:15pm after good byes.  I head to Metro Beach.  I called 586-783-3112 for wind reprot.  South / 4 mph. 

About 50 minutes later I was in the parking lot.  58 minutes later I had someone video taping...    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It was a beautiful night.  Norm I did almost five FFF's.  Yep and Murphy's Law stuck it to me again.  You will see what is clearly me doing Five...but kite is out of picture...
I need some vasaline.    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But talk about half axels....   Cool Cool Cool Cool

widow ul metro

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:19 PM »

i enjoyed that... felt bad for the cameraman(woman) during the down wind shots  Huh 

maybe someday i will get to a wed. night fly with you guys  Cry

vertigo2u

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:15 AM »

A number of people were watching.  I cut a bunch of OOOOOOOOOhhh aaahhhhhhhh out.  People don't see flying so they were thrilled.  I know too many guys fly FAR better than me.  However, I cut some really good stuff.  It's about 11:15 am wind is 9 mph dropped from 11 mph.  Gonna start thinking about going to the Beach.  However, on Thursday nights we have a family fly night at the Beach.  I may go to alternative spot or get a haircut today...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:45 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
trigger

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01 AM »

yea... i was gonna recommend a haircut.... Grin

i was at the park yesterday flyin the zeph and all of a sudden this little slk comes flying through my airspace at 100mph with 3 little boys about 4yrs-7yrs old runnin past me.. i checked out their kite and let one of them try the 4d.  it was a moment  Wink

then at the park today 2 young boys liked it and knew what an SUL was...... that shocked me... said he saw them on tv.... i wasnt that excited since they had paintball tourneys on espn every sunday!

kites are mainstream?Huh Huh
red sweater

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:44 AM »

The half axels are coming along quickly. However, many of them exit the flare pointed down. I'm guessing (not a pro) not enough slack on the lower wing?

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
vertigo2u

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:53 AM »

Red your right.  especially on the right side.  I cut a bunch of good stuff out becuase of the camera woman would not stop with the "awsome" and uuuuuuuuuuu and aaahhhhhhhhhh ... But it is the correct ones.  The nose pointing flat out towards the back.  I give slack to the top wing and pop it back as I give the bottom slack . Tipping top wing backwards is important. and popping it forward  with the slack from the right hand to the bottom wing and a slight tug or pop back from the  bottom wing as it is half way through  the axel turn....

Should look great next week... about 4 more hours I should have it...

I want Norm to see the four FFF's but he's sleeping..... 

note...  I am not moving so much and.  I am thinking about not moving and started using my arms more.  After the first one I need to get back to the Fade (relax) then get my arms back and do what Norm does in the video.  I am getting it  Norm.  It cost me to much to fly you out here...

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:09 AM »

Looking good - keep working!  Smiley

One thing that I did that really helped my half-axels is to learn the half-axel to fade.

It's a quick clean way to get into a fade and it also forces your half-axel to be reasonably smooth (not overcooked and flat/horizontal) or you cant catch the fade.   

If you do what you are doing with the setup (slight pop on bottom with slight slack top) in reverse when you hit the top wing (so pop top and slight slack on the bottom) the kite will essentially flatten out and be in the pancake/flare position.

Now, you can pull for the fade.  Or, you can give a slight pop to what was the lower wing in order to lift it and complete the half-axel.

Good luck.

6 kite tom
red sweater

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49 AM »

One thing that I did that really helped my half-axels is to learn the half-axel to fade.

It's a quick clean way to get into a fade and it also forces your half-axel to be reasonably smooth (not overcooked and flat/horizontal) or you cant catch the fade.

Help a noob out and define "overcooked."

This won't be here very long: Just a reminder for you.
1. Pop nose under.
2. Outstretch your arms to gain slack.
3. Maybe take a step forward...Depends on wind.
4. Watch how I pop back into fade while arms are still outstretched.
AVFFF's

Ouch, forgot just how much I had turned up the volume for Joe's video.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:56 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
vertigo2u

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:05 PM »

I am feeling more confident after doing some three's and the four.  I am beginning to make the changes i need to do.  I am taking a little more time in setting up my arms.  I keep thinking about what you are saying and some is getting through.  If I pull my arms back I don't start moving forward so much.  I can do two real nicely.  Then I panic one issue only.  IS THE CAMERA IN THE RIGHT SPOT>  That actually goes through my mind.  even if it's not on.  I begin to wish it were on...   Cry Cry Cry Cry

Wind is high coming from the south... 9 mph but I don't leave for another two hours...

Big single line night.

Tom thanks.... But if your son told me I'd feel better.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

vigli

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 12:09 PM »

Norm Pullian
Please tell me , what is the name of the kite on video. Nice stille...
Thx
boris
vigli

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 12:48 PM »

Yes , it look very nice rooling.
You have very interesting colors on the kite.
Do You have some closer photo for better look?
Pitty I can't practice....no wind here
Thanks a lot
best
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 05:23 PM »

From personal experience ...
start working on getting those half axels down with your hands by your side and with out that up and out move you do with your right hand,  This will pay off big time when you move on to the cascade.
YMMV

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 08:40 PM »

This is a great tip to if your doing the half axel setup and input correct.

Wish I would have heard this months ago.  Roll Eyes

My half axel were inconsistant and couldn't pull it into the fade.  Embarrassed

When I clean up my inputs, got cleaner half axels and can now pull off half axels to fades.

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 11:44 PM »

This will pay off big time when you move on to the cascade.

With all due respect.... what do you know about Cascades ?   Angry

Oh, right. This.

Nevermind.

Mike,
 Wink

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
vertigo2u

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 06:35 AM »

Couldn't fly last night SLK night.  Wind was high... 
I watched mama74 video again.  His hands are by his side.  I wanted to try last night but wind was bad.  I know your right Steve.  I plan onworking it like he does.  I need about 4 more hours of practice. 

Can't figure out how to get to the Fade fromhalf axel.  Even though I have done it.  Luck.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change