GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 02:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half Axels for sale... What a great night...  (Read 3226 times)
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 08:03 AM »

Great stuff guys.

I do the set up like dpmama does, i guess i give too much slack as its hard for me to catch the half axel timing rit as well.

I also have ahard time on the right side. My issue is different; my kite seems to turn vertical and put is back to the wind. Not sure why, the result is not pretty. I do the setup tug, then the top line hard pull and slack, but instead of the nose going down flat, it goes vertical and the wind grabs the sail amd pushes it vertical.

Left side i can do well, except i pull to hard still.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 09:02 AM »

Ko,

Some kites kites need very little to no setup at all.  My favorite just needs a little tap to get its attention!  Smiley.

Sounds like you are using too strong of inputs - It can be a hard hit, but it's a short snap on the line for the upper wing.  The input is small hand motion wise, not a pull at all.   Both hands should be tension free as the kite is moving into the flare position.

Tom

6 kite tom
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 09:57 AM »

Also, I've heard several kiters suggest the setup be a small slackening of the upper wing (lean it back a little), instead of a small tug on the lower wing. I've always done it this way, with no problems.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 10:50 AM »

I do the setup tug, then the top line hard pull and slack, but instead of the nose going down flat, it goes vertical and the wind grabs the sail amd pushes it

Like all y'all I, too, am working on getting a half-axle turn. I am super excited to get them at all-- it's been more than a year in coming. It's kind of funny for me to post on the advice side of things, but if you watch Martin's video again, notice he says to add slight tension to the lower line rather than a tug when you are doing the setup. Either that or a push on the upper wing.

Mike Baker (Bakerworks here in the forum) has been flying with us on occasion & he gave me a great piece of advice:  don't fly so far into the edge of the window; fly it to about 10 o'clock to the left and 2 to the right. I was starting to stall and didn't have the impetus to keep the rotation going, so this helped me a lot.

One thing I started doing after the upper wing pop is to add a quick lower wing pop. That has allowed the kite to finish the rotation rather than hang suspended in a floaty pancake back to the ground. It's not as pretty though. Now if I can translate that pop into the slight lifting tension instead, I'll be in good shape. Someday before I die, I hope.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:29 AM »

I waswondering about Martin's video.  There are two movements in flying.  You either pull turns or push turns.  Martin barley moves his arms or hands.  But does he push or pull is the question.  Then as a flyer do you psuh or pull turns or both ??

One of the post mentioned it will help in doing casades is probably very helpful concept in learning Martins way.  Just some thoughts.  Tom what do you think ??

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
madhabitz

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 01:12 PM »

I'm not Tom (wish I was!), but Martin's barely moving hands drives me nuts. He's got such fine control, eh? The thing is, what all the guys have been trying to get thru my skull is that the cocked wrist snap-thing really does work. I finally remembered to try it during my last practice session, got the timing right and dang.... snapped my top wing-connected wrist and stalled/turned that puppy on a dime.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
tpatter

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 05:29 PM »

I think most folks do a push/pull combination.

If you want the turn to really look good, do it in what I think is called the French style where you
- build sail pressure by pulling both
- release sail pressure to quickly turn the kite some number of degrees
- immediately pull both lines to build pressure again

Do them all lighting fast and it looks beautiful.

6 kite tom
vertigo2u

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57 AM »

One thing I found Very important I forgot to mention...

When I went to the left I took a step forward with my left foot. and then back.  Then the right side I stepped forward with my right foot and back...  That gave the extra slack for the kite to point flat and backwards as it rotated...  I was watching my other film that I cut.. more I stepped better it was...  The rhythm came together with hands, arms and feet...

p.s.- I got a hair cut....  Cry Cry Cry Cry  My wife didn't think so .. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   
p.p.-s.s. had to take her to baseball game last night...( small price to pay to fly all week-end....). Tiger's won... I got the kid next to me five autographs and a baseball... Tiger manager, Coach, Smily (p)Berry(outfield)Santiago(2nd)..I got Alex Avila to throw us a ball.  Told the kid I'd get him one... fourth ball in three years...

To bad these guys don't fly kites...... Throw me a Widow Maker or Talon  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 02:49 PM »

Ko,

Some kites kites need very little to no setup at all.  My favorite just needs a little tap to get its attention!  Smiley.

Sounds like you are using too strong of inputs - It can be a hard hit, but it's a short snap on the line for the upper wing.  The input is small hand motion wise, not a pull at all.   Both hands should be tension free as the kite is moving into the flare position.

Tom

thanks tom Buuuuuut I have had that in my bag of tricks for a LOOOOOOOONG time soft, hard, 1input 2 inputs  I was just trying to help. guess i wasnt to clear LOL As you know you have helped me a lot

have fun kurt
tpatter

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 06:08 PM »

Sorry,I had you confused with another and meant to imply nothing.   Now, i really do need to start eating more fish/brain food.    Smiley

6 kite tom
vertigo2u

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 09:39 AM »

Morning Norm  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  the wind is low at the Beach even though we have some flowing.  Getting ready to go...

Had to take mama to the ball game the other night.  Now I can fly this weekend... I want to concentrate on getting my arms back in position before I start the second one.  I watch how you get back in control of the fade. Then you start again...

kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 09:57 AM »

I hope to go in the morning and try out some of these tips to improve my 1/2's on the right side.
supposed to be hot and humid though
kirb
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 04:46 PM »

Did my first planned axel today!  And followed with 8 more!  3 were respectible but..... i have your arm out to the side twist thing going too.... oh well, it works  Cool
vertigo2u

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 09:10 PM »

Ask Norm.."...No video.  Huh No Axel ... Huh".  Sorry Jim !!!  Lips sealed

madhabitz

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 11:26 PM »

Did my first planned axel today! 

Planned is good!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum