GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 08:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Desire UL- should I have went another direction?  (Read 3032 times)
country85
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 02, 2012, 10:33 PM »

I'm new here and this is my first post, glad there is some people still into kites as I was about ten years ago. I haven't had kites in a long time. My last kite I got really good with was the force four, so needless to say I am used to flying BIG stuff. I took a trip to the beach and found myself going to the old kite shop and was talked into getting back to flying. So I picked up an impulse 1.3, the second I got it in the air I fell in love with flying all over again. Well where I live in the mid west we don't get that many "good wind" days. So on a spur of the moment thing I bought a Desire UL off of ebay. I wanted something to fly when there wasn't any wind for anything else. But what little I've found these kites are very fragile and break easy. I won't be doing any major tricks with it but am still worried I'm going to break something. Any one had any experience with this kite that could help me out?

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:17 AM »

they fly good and are pretty light but like you said they don't trick well and break if handled roughly

silverfox
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:17 AM »

Great kite in low winds for multiple kite flying. Haven't tried tricking with them but I remember seeing on this forum a suggestion to add some weights to the wing tips (washers or nuts) to aid with rotational tricks.
Nolan_k
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 01:31 PM »

I concur as to the fragility, I was flying mine in low wind, a gust came through, and the right lower spreader split, wasn't a huge gust either.  No kite stores in the area, so haven't been able to fix it yet.

In the bag: Prism: Prophecy, I2K, E2, Berkeley 4D. Carl Robertshaw Fury. Dodd Designs: Desire UL, Big Bang, M-80. GFAK Edge 2. HQ: Obsession, Jam Session Millennium. Buena Vista Pulse. Mini Zephyr - Unknown
country85

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:10 PM »

I have flown mine twice, once with no success what so ever, after consulting with Dodd himself, I redid the bridle and got it in the air from around 2 to 8 mph. flew beautifully but ever since the wind had been too strong to bring it back out of the bag. I may have to get up at sunrise tomorrow and get it in the air. Over all I"m very happy with the kite though, besides my lines were 8 inches off straight from new tech...guess they need a new ruler lol

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 04:40 PM »

My TKO Sport Kite Team uses them as our UL light wind kite, and have flown them for almost 10 years. Always make sure the bottom spreaders are inserted into the center "T" connector correctly. Each bottom spreader has an internal ferrule glued inside the spar/tube on only one end, and the ferruled end should be inserted into the center "T". The ferrules help strengthen the spar from crushing. Anytime you ever break a bottom spreader or leading edge spar/tube and have to replace it, always make sure you insert a 2" long internal ferrule in one end of the spar. Once you do that, you'll break fewer spars because of wind gust. The spar size of the Desire UL is .1570 or 4mm. For internal ferrules, contact your preferred kite supplies business and ask them for solid carbon that will fit inside a 4mm .1570 size carbon tube/spar.

In regards to the kite's trick capabilities, it's not very trickable even with wingtip weights. Flat axle spins, fades, and stalls are ok, but the kite is too light to do many more slack line tricks, because of excessive frame flex when trying to pull the flying lines to fast or too hard. If you want to fly when not much else will, and just want to do more precision flying, then the Desire UL is a great kite.

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
country85

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 08:22 PM »

Thanks for the tip about the lower spreaders, I didn't' have a clue about that. I'm hoping I'll be able to get it in the air tomorrow. I bought it, flew it twice and haven't had a chance to fly it since as the wind has been blowing too hard(which isn't a problem flying my quad parafoils) but is no good for a UL. I may put a penny or two in the bottom and see if I can pull a fade off lol. I just love the slow motion effect this kite gives.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 11:09 PM »

You don't need to add weight.  THe desire fades nicely but you have to use a smooth steady pull from the flare.  Any snappiness to your inputs and you will get a pop up.  Remember its an oldschool desing pre flippy stuff.
country85

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:37 AM »

I'll remember that, is it weird to be up at 7:30 am (est) looking at the weather and hoping the wind won't blow?? lol

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:31 AM »

is it weird to be up at 7:30 am (est) looking at the weather and hoping the wind won't blow?? lol

Time to move you into the kite addict category.  Cheesy
country85

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 01:20 PM »

Kite addict maybe, but after the morning I had trying to get this thing in the air it may be in the swap meet after today

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 01:28 PM »

Kite addict maybe, but after the morning I had trying to get this thing in the air it may be in the swap meet after today

I feel your pain. 

In my year of trick flying I have bought 5 SULs and 6 ULs looking for the "holy grail" kite for low/no wind conditions.
country85

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 03:41 PM »

This is my first UL kite, and I've only had one outting with it that I would call successful lol I must have adjusted the bridle tens times trying to fine tune it, I just have crappy wind where I live I think, I did pull off my first fade today, just to have the wind shift and blow the kite to the ground lol

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 04:54 PM »

I feel your pain. 

In my year of trick flying I have bought 5 SULs and 6 ULs looking for the "holy grail" kite for low/no wind conditions.

Sorry to say there is no HOLY Grail.........The best thing to do would be to get a powerful fan and make your wind consistent or just go indoors and learn how to fly in 0 wind.......Low wind flying with the most expensive kite touted to be 'zero' wind is still a learned skill.......and I can vouch that I'm still trying to develop that skill.  Ten years and many more than twenty so- called zero wind acquisitions are my testimony to that.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18 PM »

This is my first UL kite, and I've only had one outting with it that I would call successful lol I must have adjusted the bridle tens times trying to fine tune it, I just have crappy wind where I live I think, I did pull off my first fade today, just to have the wind shift and blow the kite to the ground lol
Are you flying in the field that is in your parafoil post ? It looks like a terrible place to fly. You need a flat, open, no REALLY open place to fly. Those trees look way too close to your back, they're ruining the wind. Check google maps for the best place within a reasonable amount of time from your house. It is worth a 1/2 hour drive to get good wind. For low wind flying, this is especially important, because the UL kite is more sensitive to subtle wind changes. Don't forget, you have to move your feet, a lot.
And oh, yeah. Think about moving to the beach. There's no wind better for flying than beach wind.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum