GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 09:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a leader line ?  (Read 2516 times)
wmoy
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 25, 2009, 12:54 PM »

I've just read the leader line thread in the the Sport Kite Section, but not fully comprehend what was said.

Why would one have a leader line, other than what was written in the other thread?

What's the pros/cons of having a leader line?

When would one consider using a leader line ?

What are the rule of thumb in selecting a leader line (line weight, length ... etc) for a particular kite, and how do you make one, and how long is it typically ?

How do you attach a leader line to the kite's bridle ?

I tried google searching kite leader line, but didn't find much in answers.

Thanks.

EnergonCube

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:36 PM »

I'm fairly new to kiting, so someone please correct/elaborate if I'm wrong here. But leader line -- as I understand it -- is an additional length of bridle line attached at the tow-points. The length of the leader can vary, but is typically as long as the leading edge of the kite.

I don't know all of the pros or cons, but I do know that leader line helps to prevent the spectra line from snagging on the LE. This is especially helpful with wrap ups and the like. Also, spectra line can be harsh and act as knife on the LE, so leader line eliminates that.

I've read that if you have two different colors of leader line, it helps to distinguish left from right in flight and, in general, makes it easier to see where the tow-points are.

As for the rest of your questions... dunno. I'm interested in those answers as well.  Wink
RonG
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:47 PM »

Your answer is basically correct.  The primary purpose of the leaders is to spare the trailing edge and vinyl connectors of the kite from laceration by the flying lines, and to save wear and tear on the flying lines from contact with the kite.

Length of the leading edge is probably as good a rule of thumb as any.  Larkshead at the bridle towpoints like you would your flying line, and have figure eight or double overhand stopper knots at the end of the leaders to act as the new towpoints for the flying line.  As for different colors for distinguishing the lines in flight, being able to tell the right from left line at the kite end of things isn't particularly practical or useful when the kite is moving.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:20 PM »

Bright colored leaders that contrast with the kite help when you're on the ground trying to get unwrapped.  Embarrassed
Leaders also help the flying lines fall away from the kite faster when doing slack line tricks.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RonG
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 06:06 PM »

Bright colored leaders that contrast with the kite help when you're on the ground trying to get unwrapped.  Embarrassed
?
You're telling me that you can get useful visual information on a wrap 125' away, regardless of what the color of the leader is?  Ok.

I've always just used basic sense and feel to tell me what needs to be done.  It's worked pretty well for me thus far.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 06:32 PM »

You're telling me that you can get useful visual information on a wrap 125' away, regardless of what the color of the leader is?  Ok.

Yes. I can see the leaders and which way they're wrapped around the kite. It helps me get unwrapped. Probably wouldn't help Ray Charles though.  Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:01 AM »

Yes. I can see the leaders and which way they're wrapped around the kite. It helps me get unwrapped. Probably wouldn't help Ray Charles though.  Cheesy

Denny

There isn't much of anything that would help Ray, now Wink

I'm color blind so a leader of a bright color can help in seeing (at least for me) which way the tip is wrapped.  (if I'm wearin' my glasses)

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
wmoy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:50 AM »

Your answer is basically correct.  The primary purpose of the leaders is to spare the trailing edge and vinyl connectors of the kite from laceration by the flying lines, and to save wear and tear on the flying lines from contact with the kite.

Length of the leading edge is probably as good a rule of thumb as any.  Larkshead at the bridle towpoints like you would your flying line, and have figure eight or double overhand stopper knots at the end of the leaders to act as the new towpoints for the flying line.  As for different colors for distinguishing the lines in flight, being able to tell the right from left line at the kite end of things isn't particularly practical or useful when the kite is moving.

Would it be a good rule of thumb to construct the leader lines the same weight class as the kite's bridle line ?

When would you use a heaver bridle line in constructing the leader and why ?

King-J

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:08 AM »

I, learned this from flying with Denny, I first saw him with leaders on his WM's, all though I have not yet put them on my WM's but I need to, I use 50lb fly lines most of the time and it is so thin that it is starting to cut into some of my connectors, Not sure about the rest, but because I fly in lighter winds I would use mostly 100lb bridle line, even when I use 90lb fly line I think 100lb would be fine.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
RonG
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:39 AM »

Would it be a good rule of thumb to construct the leader lines the same weight class as the kite's bridle line ?

When would you use a heaver bridle line in constructing the leader and why ?
This is as good a rule of thumb as any.  I use 170# leaders on my standard and industrial, which I bridle with 170# line.  I don't put leaders on the light, because in that case the benefits don't outweigh cost of extra drag and loss of "contact" with the kite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography