GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 10:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on care for first BMK  (Read 1270 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: September 04, 2012, 07:35 PM »

Just received my Exile from Paolo and all I can say is WOW !!! From the bag to the bones and sail what a work of art. I hope to learn to fly it to at least some of it's potential. But really, I need advice on practical day to day storage on such a fine flying machine. Tension the sail or not when not flying? How to know if the sail tension is set right for flying, it seems to be very taught at present settings and I know nothing here. I want to keep it in good condition and would be grateful for any input...
No doubt there a few out there who would agree to give it good care-taking in return for flying time... Wink
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:15 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44 PM »

Detension it when you store it..........Other than that, nothing else need be done.........fly it........enjoy it................All of Ken's kites will now be remembered as the wonderful classics they are, and they will continue to be enjoyed by those of us who choose to keep them in the bag.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
whitebirdlover

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:29 AM »

Thanks Jim,

Yep, that's what I plan to do... Fly it... or should I say let it teach me to fly...  Grin

Anthony
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:39 PM »

There have been many discussions on whether ot not to de-tension sails. From long experience, I tend to think it's a waste of time on most kites. Certainly on a BMK.

If your interest is esthetics more than actual damage, then the main thing would be to roll up the kite cerefully and loosely and then store it standing up without other kites pressing on it. This would minimize wrinkles. I also think this is a waste of time for most kites.

In the real world, I've had kites with LEs tensioned stored in full kite bags for years with no problems. Some for more than 10 years.

If you're worried about how to store your kite, you're probably not going to fly it like it deserves to be flown. The Exile is an incredibly durable kite which really should be flown hard. There are also a large number of these kites areound. It's not like it's a rare, irreplaceble thing.

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:03 PM »

Ken McNeill told me that a well made sport kite will actually get better after a few years

as the sail/sewing/material find their best shape.

I leave all non-mylar kites tensioned.

If there is mylar along the leading edge (Vapor e.g.), then I'll de-tension it.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
whitebirdlover

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:43 PM »

There have been many discussions on whether ot not to de-tension sails. From long experience, I tend to think it's a waste of time on most kites. Certainly on a BMK.

If you're worried about how to store your kite, you're probably not going to fly it like it deserves to be flown. The Exile is an incredibly durable kite which really should be flown hard.

Fly it a much as I can, that's the plan. We have some long hard winters here and that's the impetus for the storage question along with the ignorance of an inexperienced flyer/ower...
Thanks for all the input, I'll have it in the sky as much as time and wind allow... Smiley

Anthony
whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Ya know, today I was thinking I might be too much of a dumb-ass but it only seems reasonable to inquire about things you don't have much knowledge about. As a craftsman, I try to keep good care of the tools of my trade, as a kite flyer ( a noob to be sure on stunts ) I have come to appreciate the level of craftsmanship on hand crafted kites be it an slk or dual line trickster. It only makes sense to care for them as well as they have been crafted. Flying them is, of course, the reason I've bought them. I'm not a collector who intends to keep them in a box on a shelf and admire my acquisition. I really appreciate the input from people who have spent years, not the few hrs. I've logged in the joy of flying (in reference to dual liners here). Anyway, many thanks for the sharing of your knowledge... Smiley Smiley Smiley

Anthony
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:41 PM »

The Exile is an incredibly durable kite which really should be flown hard.

Fly it a much as I can, that's the plan. We have some long hard winters here

Still over a 100 dergree in Las Vegas.  Embarrassed  Looking forward to our mild winters.   Grin

Be glad to to keep your kite in good flying shape by flying it hard.  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Congrads on your purchase. The Exile is the last kite on my wish list that keep me up at night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document