GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 10:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pieces fall into place  (Read 566 times)
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: September 05, 2012, 01:08 AM »

A few weeks ago, I figured it was time to put some effort into learning the Taz Machine. I'd played with it, from time to time, but there were other tricks I wanted to improve, especially the Slot Machine. Last summer I felt that I had them down, but this spring it was like I took two steps back. It took a while longer then I thought to regain my touch. With the Slot Machine dialed in, the next step would be the Taz Machine.

From I what I read about the Taz, I figured it would take time to put all the pieces together. The first step would be to play with the half axel, with the nose flared up. Years ago, somebody mentioned on FA, that a person should do half axels until their fingers bleed. I took that advice to heart, and have spent a lot of time working on and refining my half axels. It only took a few attempts to get the nose to flare up.

The toughest part, I figured in learning the Taz, would be getting the timing down, when to give the input for the rotation, and how strong to make the input. A Slot Machine, is dependent upon proper technique. If the kite is not in the right position, the input is too strong, not enough slack, at the very least you get a slot that looks odd, worst case a tip wrap. A lot of experienced fliers, have mentioned that the Slot was easier to learn then the Taz. That didn't do much for my confidence in learning the Taz.

Today when the winds settled down, it was time to work on the Taz. Remembering early stages of the slot, I was prepared to do numerous walks. The first few rotated, but I didn't give them enough slack. On the third attempt, it completed the rotation. To say the least I was pleasantly surprised. After the sixth Taz, I was really feeling good.

This was the easiest time I had getting through the initial stages of a trick. It was only easy because of all the time I spent on the Half Axel and Slot. What also simplified the learning process was Randy G's and Martin's tutorials.

Now to lock down the Taz, before winter.

Jay 
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:03 AM »

Both sides...work both sides....

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:09 AM »

Both sides...work both sides....

obi

Guilty as charged. I've spent a lot of time this year, learning tricks on the other side of the window.

Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document