GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you fly any quad line "parafoil" as a dual line?  (Read 3513 times)
country85
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 05, 2012, 04:49 AM »

I hope this is in the right spot if not mods please feel free to move. I just got a pretty good deal on an entry level 2.5m quad line parafoil but the catch is I've never flown anything in quad setup. I know that some of the prism quad foils are convertible from 2 to 4 line, can you do this with pretty much any quad line foil? Sorry if this is a newbie question, I've been out of kiting for about ten years and wow seems like alot has changed lol

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:56 AM »

you could.....................
but you would do better just flying it as a quad!!!!

Where are you located? someone might be near to give you some face-to-face help...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
country85

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:53 AM »

I'm located in north central Indiana. I'm going to try to fly it quad line first, (if I can get the wind to blow here lol), heck I only paid 40 bucks for it, I figured heck the lines and handles were worth that much! I know it's no fancy big name but I remember Go Fly a Kite used to make some half way decent stuff back in the day, here's a link to what I have, hopefully should arrive in the mail tommorow

Direct link removed.

Please do not post direct links to commercial sites.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:52 PM by JimB » Logged

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:28 AM »

That one isn't meant to be a dual line kite.  IT has a lot of pull and quad line is the safe way to go on it.  That being said when it comes to power foils you really only use the brake lines to control forward speed of the kite and easy relaunches and clean turns.  You can tie the brake lines to the main bridle but I wouldn't recommend it.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:17 AM »

Hmm, does that come with any kite killers?  I don't see anything mentioned in the description or photos.  They would probably be a good idea if flying it in higher winds.  Kite killers attach to the lower (brake) lines.  If the power gets to be too much, you simply let go of the handles and the kite collapses and loses all power - without losing the kite.  Definitely a safety feature you'd want to invest in if they are not included.

You could probably modify/reconfigure it to fly as a dual, but there is much more control in flying it as a quad.  I've move almost exclusively over to quad foils.  They're nice because you can also use the brakes to turn them quicker.  Something you simply cannot do when configured as dual.

I'm suspicious for $40, but do let us know of the build quality.  I'd definitely check the line lengths before you even fly it and make sure they're equalized.

That middle photo is kind of confusing, it's showing 3 handles!  Special version for 3 armed flyers?  Wink

thanks,
  Mike
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:28 AM by Smeagol » Logged
MartinG

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:58 PM »

I would reiterate the message on kite killers - if you fly a kite this size in a reasonable wind it can take you by surprise. I am a large 6' 3'' and have been dragged across a field by a 2.4m flexifoil sting. They aren't expensive and could save you embarrassment, or worse. Have fun!
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+66)

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 03:18 PM »

good entry level kite can be flown on 2 lines but no way to slow it down when you need to not poorly made but not real well made it is made in china i would get better lines start out in low winds be careful if no kite killers just let go it will fall like rag better to untangle lines than getting hurt i took a 1 meter pro foil out in 25 mile wind and was lifted with it they dont like brake input to steer but to land or relaunch they are great not a bad kite jacks bought go fly about 4 years ago

Steve & Sherri
country85

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:08 PM »

Thanks for all the advice!! I didn't even notice the 3 handles in the one pic. Maybe they give you an extra just in case you loose one lol! I did also order a pair of kite killers,  watched enough youtube videos of idiots getting dragged across the beach not to order them lol. I'm interested to see the quality of this as well, I should get it in the mail hopefully tomorrow(along with my desire ul) and will be sure to post a good review of them both. I just had my 2 line 1.3 out the other day, got to say I love the parafoil type kites for their ease of flight, even in light winds seems like they will fly when my other stuff won't.

country85

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:27 PM »

Got the 2.5 in the mail today and wow I'm really impressed. Very well made and put together package. Lines are braided dyneema, doesn't specify test but I"m guessing 325/275lb. . Every thing was sleeved very nicely and lines were dead on equal. Actually got it in the air today as well. Having never flown a quad before I set the brake lines with as much slack as possible and ta da I was flying! with in ten minutes I was doing speed drops and propeller spins. The dark side defiantly has a firm grip on me now!

And in winds above 13 mph kite killers will be a must. I love the feel of a big kite wanting to drag me across a field!

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50 PM »

Nice, glad to hear it turned out to be decent.
cgregurich73
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 03:09 PM »

kite killers are a must i use to fly a 10m hq apex and you must have some sort of safty equipment when i started i had no clue about power kites and i was lifted and dragged 20 yards dont let this happen to you and in strong winds be catious of what the wind is doing and anything over 15mphuse smaller kites.

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document