GWTW Forum
July 26, 2014, 10:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Osprey's and other birds of prey  (Read 2024 times)
Charles P
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 07, 2012, 12:11 AM »

I recently had two close encounters with birds sizeing up my kite. The first instance was an osprey from a nest about 300 yards from my flying field swooping in and really investigating my kite. I did not even see the bird until he was about 20-30ft from my kite, he approached even closer and I could see him craneing his neck around and really trying to get a good look at my kite. The thing got within 5-10 feet of my kite before I got nervous and made a hasty retreat to earth. The osprey continued to fly inland after this pass.
 A couple days later I had some kind of hawk or falcon come in on my kite as well but this time the bird just did a quick pass about 20 feet from my kite.
 I have flown kites for a number of years now and have never had this happen before, I just bought a new kite that reflects the sunlight and shimmers in the light like no other kite I have had before. Maybe I'm flying a big fishing lure or bird lure as it so happens.
 Both instances were fascinating a alarming at the same time. I don't want something shreding my kite, If somethings gonna break this one it's going to be me!!
 Just curious if anyone else has had simmilar experiences and I also figured I'd share as well.   Wink

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 02:10 AM »

When I worked at Lockheed-Martin in Sunnyvale.....

Flew a few times at the softball diamond. There was a red-tail hawk nest in one

of the light towers. On a few occasions, the momma hawk would come out and

soar next to my kite. When she would come out, I'd hold the kite stalled at the

top of the window. She once flew within about 5 feet of the kite, just soaring next

to it for about 30 seconds. It was humbling to watch her tweak those wing feathers

to glide next to the kite.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:00 AM »

I have this happen all the time and it feels just amazing. I live in the foothills so there are hawks all over the place. Everytime I fly my black/white Mamba one  will fly passes, getting closer each time, then will finally settle on a power pole to keep an eyeball peeled. Magical stuff.

The closest encounter actually happened with a lone seagull. The kite is mostly white with sky blue/gray edges and looks very bird-like. This seagull got closer and closer until I began to wonder if it was really going to try taking the kite down. It didn't- the seagull was just very curious. So cool!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:20 AM »

I too have seen this a lot.

A stranger story invouling bats and our local group fly which is at night.  One night this summer a lot of bats were in the air eating bugs. The bats had no interest in flying kites but would dive toward kites when they lifted off from the ground. Then turning away once they got close. It took me a while to notice the pattern, but then I started landing and relaunching on purpose to enjoy the show.

This was on one of the few night my wife came out to watch. So now each week she will ask how the flying went and were their any bats.  Cheesy

bt
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:49 PM »

Eagles and gulls here with the gulls being the more curious.
The eagles very rarely openly acknowledge the kite(s) and on rarer occasions will fly close by....which is way cool when they do. This seems to happen more often with a Rev than a 2 liner. To stall a Rev and then slide/glide around the window with an eagle is quite magical to say the least.
At least once a session will a gull come by to check out the kite. Also they seem to like grey kites...especially my grey fade Sonic.....and an all black Rev to a lesser extent....
I`ve never had a bird "attack" any of my kites and on numerous occasions they have come pretty close to the kite...especially a parked/stalled rev. I have to be a little more gull aware when I fly the Sonic though...
Of course the crows and Canada Geese seem to like to fly across the lines but I`ve never had a bird collide with a line..a couple close calls though..
bt

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:41 PM »

Yeah, birds will come in close for a look.

I've had birds hit the lines. No casualties so far.
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:16 PM »

I would welcome such an encounter you guys speak of.  Smiley
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05 PM »

A hawk came and checked out a WSO UL I was flying at Delta Park East one time.  It just circled but it did get pretty close.

Ron
Crescent City
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:39 PM »

I remember about ten years ago I was on vacation in Fort Bragg California and bought a kite to fly with my son. JUst a single line kite that happened to look like an osprey.  An osprey came in to check it out and caught its wing in the line.  Spiraled all the way down.  Took it about a minute and LOTS of revolutions to reach the ground where it was obviously dizzy. ONce it cleared its head it flew away. Its a crazy world.
Charles P
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21 PM »

Wow! This seems to happen a lot more than I thought!! The bat story was very interesting and would be great to see. bt.... nice try but I'm not going to switch to the dark side to attract more birds.   Cheesy   Typical rev flyer!  hehehehehe, Just making fun bt, thanks for sharing.

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
bt

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07 PM »

Wow! This seems to happen a lot more than I thought!! The bat story was very interesting and would be great to see. bt.... nice try but I'm not going to switch to the dark side to attract more birds.   Cheesy   Typical rev flyer!  hehehehehe, Just making fun bt, thanks for sharing.

Well there are a lot of birds where I am..an estuary...which makes these encounters fairly regular. There are a few times when I don`t or won`t fly because of the birds and tides....
Funny you should mention the dark side as I`m actually flying more 2 liners these days....BV Catalyst from Mr Fouts coming  Tongue...yay old school!!
Should attract the gulls though....grey fade(ish)....
bt

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document