GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 10:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What and how to learn first  (Read 1018 times)
kitekev
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 07, 2012, 02:34 AM »

Hi all,

Myself and 12 year old daughter have just bought 2 stunts kites and have been flying for about a week.  Been looking through youtube for tutorials etc.

What should we be learning first?    Fade (very hard), snap stall (can't find out how do do this), slide ok until I hit power zone then it goes straight up.

One of the kites has handles so you can adjust length of line the other has wrist straps, how do you adjust the length of those or is it just change the lines for shorter/longer ones?

All comments ideas video clips welcome.

Thanks
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 03:22 AM »

KiteKev,

First, Welcome to the Forum and to the kite world.
What kite do you have? How long have you been flying? I noticed you did not mentioned the term "crash" in your post, so i guess you passed this step Smiley
Snap Stall and Side Slide is the first best thing to learn..this will be your passport to other fancy tricks..

As for lines, the common lengths are 50'-85' depending on the wind and space available. Longer will be more fun with a wider wind window but freestyle does not need much more than 85'

Others will jump in and give you more tips...

Good luck and don't forget to have fun

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
kitekev

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 03:55 AM »

We have an HQ Jive II and a Black Hawk one was £25 the other £60 so bottom of the range stuff.  Oh yes we have crashed and still are.  The line lengths are in that range just wanted to be able to shorten the one with straps when flying on the beach with less room for error, nose diving on to a sun bather doesn't go down well.

How do you do a snap stall, can't find any info on this one.

Really enjoying it so far but loads to learn.
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:35 AM »

Hi Kev, I'm in the UK too and also have a Jive 2 ( well 2 actually amongst others) - it a good starter kite.

The problem with shortening the lines too much is that everything then happens too quickly and you'll find you won't have time to react to your kite before it crashes! 25m is the standard length for the Jive and I wouldn't go much shorter than that while you are learning.

If you look here - http://www.prismkites.com/lounge-training.php there is an animation of how the snap stall is done, it is the basis for a lot of other tricks. Also check out some useful posts on the Jive HERE

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
kitekev

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 04:40 AM »

OK thanks good link
MartinG

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 05:14 AM »

To add my 2p's worth:

I think the first "trick" to learn (although most people wouldn't classify it as such) is how to land and take off again without having to walk to your kite or get someone to stand it up for you. Look at "Basic Landing", "Leading edge landing" and "Cartwheel" on the prism page linked above.

Also, it is easiest to learn these things in light winds - the Jive will fly even when you can only just feel a breeze on your face and everything is more accessible and happens more slowly then.

Finally, I've never tried a Black Hawk, but although £25 seems like a reasonable amount of money to spend on a kid's kite you may not be doing your daughter any favours. I'm sure it will be fine to learn how to take off, land, loop and spin but she may find it difficult to get much further, even with the best will in the world. Do make sure her lines are of equal length and at least 20m long, even if that involves walking further down the beach if you don't want her to be put off quickly. My 8 year old son is pretty good on the Jive now (he claims to be better than me but I'm not prepared to acknowledge that, yet) and certainly has never broken it (which I can't claim) so do let her fly the better kite too if you want to keep her interested!

Finally finally (!), try to get someone to give you a few tips, it is much easier to learn from a real person than any number of animations and videos. If you spot someone who appears to know what they are doing just go over to them and ask, they seem to be a pretty friendly bunch  Smiley. Where are you based in the UK? There may be a club or popular flying spot nearby.
kitekev

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 05:56 AM »

I'm in Essex.  I will google to see if any kite clubs but I haven't seen any around, never see many kites to be honest. I drove down the whole sea front on Sunday, none around, seems a minority sport but great fun, new skills to learn and getting of the sofa are all good.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 06:18 AM »

Firstly, you're at slightly the wrong forum. You want The Other One™ which is based in the UK with more UK flyer input. I mean this ain't bad but..... Wink

This clever little bugger is a good way to see what getting a basic trick into your repertoire can lead you towards. Start with the tricks at the middle and ever-so-slowly work your way out. The TrickyWiki can help you but it's not aimed at the total beginner.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 08:07 AM »

One of the kites has handles so you can adjust length of line the other has wrist straps, how do you adjust the length of those or is it just change the lines for shorter/longer ones?

Here is a video on a quick adjustment to fix line length.

Dodd's Field tip "equal line length"
red sweater

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:25 AM »

I think the first "trick" to learn (although most people wouldn't classify it as such) is how to land and take off again without having to walk to your kite or get someone to stand it up for you. Look at "Basic Landing", "Leading edge landing" and "Cartwheel" on the prism page linked above.

The Prism animations were very helpful for me. However, I've never done a "Cartwheel" that looks like their animation. Probably because all my kites have straight leading edges. My cartwheels end up looking a little more like a backspin, rather than actually rolling up the entire leading edge.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document