GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 03:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: small vs big trick kite  (Read 1257 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 07, 2012, 10:43 AM »

Hi
Wondering...... need  thinking and experience from kite flyer which flown different size stunt kite.
Let say kite 2,15m kite
                 2,25m kite
          and 2,45m kite.
In general difference?
Does bigger kite need more work to trick?
And does as rule, smaller kite trick faster but harder to nail the trick?
thanks a lot
boris
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:49 AM by vigli » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:26 AM »

In my opinion,  in general, bigger is slower flying, slower tricking, more precise, and requires more input.  However, each kite is a bit different.  Smiley

My favorite smaller trick kite makes nailing tricks very easy, but they are executed more quickly and therefore perhaps look less graceful than a larger kite would look.  I like smaller kites especially in medium to high wind, since its easier and more reliable to do tricks with them (for me) and they also generally pull much less.

6 kite tom
vigli

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:25 AM »

Thanks a lot
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 03:52 AM »

I flew a Transfer xt.s (2.5m?) a few years ago and it is very SLOW and heavy. From what I remember the inputs were pretty big. I actually like my xt.r better.

I have a Benson Minigem and it's really fast and spinny in higher wind. The inputs are almost too small and fast for me. 

It's all about variety and what you feel like doing. Higher wind you probably want something that's smaller and has less pull.

In medium wind or less, bigger is okay. Personally I like the standard sizes for wind between 4 and 9 when I can get it.

Bob D.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:31 PM »

Kite design has a lot to do with it and generally, the above comments are spot-on.  One kite that is an exception is the Skyburner Solus.  This kite is a big wing (100" wingspan) but it tricks like a 7 footer.  Many people have flown it and commented on how it flips like a small tricker but tracks like a large kite.  Pull is moderate but can get pretty strong in winds of 14+ mph.

If you are wanting a big wing kite that is more forgiving and tracks like it is on rails - but want a kite that has small abrupt inputs and tricks aggressively, the Solus is a pretty awesome machine.

YMMV....

vigli

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:38 PM »

Well Yes. I read about Solus. Interesting, so big kite but feel smaller.
About smaller kite. I saw very good videos with Jumping Jack Flesh- pretty small kite but pilot found way to trick it so good.
But then I fly Alien which need small  control , it is pretty sensitiv for me. ANd then I made misstakes while tricking...
That why I fly it very rare...
It would be fun to try Alien but  in 90 inch size :_)
best
boris
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:37 PM by vigli » Logged
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:13 AM »

Not easier ... just faster ... faster is not necessarily easier. So equivalent. Assuming you are dealing with same maker as the Transformer/Fearless. Neither is easier its just the Transformer is faster.

JPL

In my bag of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL & Light , Transformer TL's: (SUL, Light, Vented Light), Transformer 2 SUL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document