GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 11:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to pick one kite for beginner/intermediate trick flying  (Read 6247 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2012, 02:55 AM »

Well said.

Tekcor, I guess you invest whatever you are willing to bear. A lot of the suggested kites are geat from what I hear. I've only been able to try a few of them.

I have had the fortune to invest a bag full of high end kites, plus be lucky enought to try many others. 

To date no high end boutique came out of the bag and gave me tricks I did not know.  Angry  I have been forced to learn them  Cheesy Cheesy

No matter how expensive the kite you still need to learn to preform the tricks.

So a $150 kite is still a lot of kite to learn on. With $200 being a good starting point for a UL.

Higher priced kites are very nice but are not a blank check to success.

While no kite , no matter how expensive, will turn you into an expert overnight, in my experience a top quality kite will make the learning process much easier. I have spent most of my time learning on good quality 'off the peg' kites -  higher end HQ's etc and over the years I have learned to do quite a bit BUT I made my biggest improvement when I got My FW Soul and more recently my Kitehouse Pulsar. Both kites just fly so much smoother than the mass produced items. The Pulsar in particular has taught me how to do yoyo's properly- I was always rubbish at them, but the Pulsar does them so easily that I was quickly doing multiple wraps almost at will. Along with this all the other tricks I already knew just seem to flow so much more smoothly.

For anyone just starting out in trick flying my advice would be to start with a decent mid range standard off the peg kite - a mid range HQ or whatever is the available equivelent - something preferably with a straightforward carbon tube frame - no fancy sticks. Use this to get the basics down so when you crash it and smash it it won't cost a fortune to fix. Once you you have the basics and can take off, fly and land at will, maybe a few basic tricks then buy the best kite you can afford - try and fly other peoples to find what you like - it really is worth it in the long run.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2012, 03:46 PM »

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Silver Fox 2.3.  I got along with it a whole lot better than my Zephyr.  I got my first tricks with it and use it still for newbs.  It's very forgiving for me. 
red sweater

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2012, 04:50 PM »

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Silver Fox 2.3.  I got along with it a whole lot better than my Zephyr.  I got my first tricks with it and use it still for newbs.  It's very forgiving for me. 

The Pro 2.3 UL got me past the "can barely manage an axel" stage, and lets me fly a lot more than that heavy Quantum I've had for years. I like it, but I've only flown the kites in my bag (listed in my sig), so I can't compare it to literally any other rational suggestion that's been made. That said, one of the reasons I picked it up is because of the several reviews I'd read that said the Silver Foxes are good for learning on.

I don't know whether it's worth going from the "normal" Silver Foxes to the "Pro" grade, either. I think it's just better quality and/or lighter components? Mine has survived a few less-than-gentle lawn darts, though. Makes me nervous every time, but so far, no damage done.

And the Zephyr was on my short list at the time, too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 04:51 PM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2012, 05:38 PM »

Its a lot easier to learn tricks on a Deep Space than on a Beetle.  Wink

Denny

Never though the Beetle was a trick kite  Huh

I was talking about a $150 kite not a $50 kite.  Cheesy 
Something like Hypnotist, Widow, Wolf, Nighthawk or Silverfox.

Agree on the the Deep Space. Trickiest kite I own. Well beyond my current skills of learning JLs Cry   

I have a hard time seeing it or other radical trick kites helping a newbe. 

Tekcor1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2012, 10:31 PM »

I just picked up a Prism Zephyr from the Swap Meet in like new condition. I guess I just couldn't wait until the Whidbey Kite Festival! We still plan to attend, and who knows, maybe I'll pick up another kite there if the price is right.

Next question: The kite came with 50ft/50# LPG lineset but no straps. Is this an ideal lineset or should I pick up something different? Also, what should I use for straps? This will be my first good trick kite; the kite I learned on has plastic handles that you wrap the line around. Thanks!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2012, 10:44 PM »

NOrmal use line set for the Zeph is 100'x90#factory supplied.  I fly mine on anything from 65'-125'
trigger

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 05:58 AM »

I use 50/50lb and 75/50lb. Yesterday the wind was a bit strong and i wish i had a 75/90lb. The 50 ft are nice to see how the kite reacts better when learning, but your reflexes have to be a bit quicker.  Enjoy the kite!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2012, 06:36 AM »

I find the Zephyr to be a little heavy for 50lb. linesets once the wind gets to five mph and you have the weight installed...........I have heard of numerous failures with line that light.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2012, 10:19 AM »

the 50# line is for 1-3mph range only  above that go to 90# or you will break lines.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2012, 05:26 PM »

I just picked up a Prism Zephyr from the Swap Meet in like new condition.

Nice kite  Grin

Next question: The kite came with 50ft/50# LPG lineset but no straps. Is this an ideal lineset or should I pick up something different? Also, what should I use for straps?

I fly 50lb line just using the existing sleeving with no straps. The pull is light enought.

Try some finger straps when you buy some your 90# or 100# line  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document