GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 10:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Premier Widow getting new graphics  (Read 757 times)
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 07, 2012, 01:49 PM »

Just bought from "Kites and Fun Things," the shop owned by Jon Trennepohl (designer of the Premier Widow and Skyburner Widow Maker), one of what the shop's website calls, "the last of the Widows."

But don't panic. Marieanne Trennepohl tells me that it's one of the last of the Widows with those particular sail graphics.  She says Jon worked with Premier on a new graphic design, which should be available soon.

I bought one of the "last" Widows and even though it's a factory blem (the shop's website warns of stains on the white fabric), I'm happy with the looks of it (haven't had it in the air yet). Although its a production kite like the Flying Wings Alpha+ I've been flying, it's clearly a much better-built production kite than the Alpha+.

Sport kite beginner (Premier Widow, Skyburner Ocius UL, Flying Wings Alpha+), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 03:55 PM »

it's clearly a much better-built production kite than the Alpha+.

It will fly much better too.  Grin

Nice choice, Keep us posted on how it flys and what tricks you learn.  Smiley
SkyDancer

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:13 PM »

... it's clearly a much better-built production kite than the Alpha+.

It will fly much better too.  Grin

You aren't kidding! We got it out for a little while this evening, in 6-8 MPH winds and had a blast. It feels completely different on the ends of the lines than does the Alpha+

Keep us posted on how it flys and what tricks you learn.  Smiley

So far, I'm more of a precision flyer than a trick flyer. But I've been trying to get the Alpha+ to by starting in a horizontal pass, doing a push turn to vertical and then pushing both lines to stall. Had not quite gotten the Alpha+ to do that (for lack of pilot skill, I'm sure). But tonight, I accidentally discovered found I could easily stall the Widow by simply doing one revolution of tight spin!

We're off to the Hoosier Kitefliers Society fun fly tomorrow and hope to get more time in on the Widow there, plus some coaching from more accomplished flyers.

Sport kite beginner (Premier Widow, Skyburner Ocius UL, Flying Wings Alpha+), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
SkyDancer

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:22 PM »

P.S. My lovely wife, who has been flying dualies for about half the time I have, has also been flying an Alpha+. To understand the following comment, you need to know that she's a university-trained musician and that her major instrument in college was clarinet.

As she flew the Widow for the first time, she remarked, "This reminds me of when I was a kid learning to play on a plastic clarinet. When I started taking private lessons, my teacher let me try her wooden clarinet. I couldn't believe the difference!" Transitioning from the Alpha+ to the Widow was like that for her.

Don't get me wrong ... the Alpha+ is not a bad kite. For anyone who wants to get into a new kite with a wingspan of at least 85 inches with a minimum investment, the Alpha+ fits the bill. You can find it online for $68 plus shipping. And it's much easier to learn on than the 60" kites many people buy as their first kites.

But if you can find a deal on a kite like the Widow and can afford the extra dollars, I recommend it.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:37 PM »

I saw the drafts of the new graphics and put in some input as well. The one that was picked wasn't my absolute favorite, but I like them just the same. Keep your eyes pealed!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:12 AM »

P.S. My lovely wife, who has been flying dualies for about half the time I have, has also been flying an Alpha+. To understand the following comment, you need to know that she's a university-trained musician and that her major instrument in college was clarinet.

As she flew the Widow for the first time, she remarked, "This reminds me of when I was a kid learning to play on a plastic clarinet. When I started taking private lessons, my teacher let me try her wooden clarinet. I couldn't believe the difference!" Transitioning from the Alpha+ to the Widow was like that for her.

Don't get me wrong ... the Alpha+ is not a bad kite. For anyone who wants to get into a new kite with a wingspan of at least 85 inches with a minimum investment, the Alpha+ fits the bill. You can find it online for $68 plus shipping. And it's much easier to learn on than the 60" kites many people buy as their first kites.

But if you can find a deal on a kite like the Widow and can afford the extra dollars, I recommend it.

Nice review. The 1st of many I'm sure.  Grin

So far, I'm more of a precision flyer than a trick flyer.
I was a precision flyer for 20 years before I became a trick flyer. Don't wait as long as I did  Cheesy

Never able to do tricks until I join the local flying group. So, thanks to all the members of the Vegas Friday Night Fly for the lessons and chance to fly many different kites. .  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography