GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 02:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everybody keeping?  (Read 4511 times)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 08:37 AM »

Too many . . .   (can't believe I said that out loud)
I believe the sanctity of the confessional applies here.... besides, pretty sure you said it in hushed tones  Wink

ATB,
Sam
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 09:34 AM »

The DeepSpace is the only kite that is essential to my physical, mental, and spiritual well being at the moment.

Having said that.. kites that are not going anywhere include, but are not limited to:

Multiple sL7s
Assorted Matrixen
Gemini
Viper and Vendetta
Machine
Sano
CosmicTC Ghost
BMK Exiles and Mantids
Airdynamics Trancer and Odyssey lite.

The '98 Illusion is probably (I'd have to look) the most plural kite in my bag.

It's not going anywhere... yet.

Kyle
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 10:52 AM »

What a menagerie of kites.  I thought I was going to get some insight as to the best kite on the market.  Well it shows there is allot to choose from.

I can buy one more stunt kite and then it will be no more for a while.  I want to make a wise choice.  I have all Prism's now.  Why didn't very many Prism's make the "keep no matter what list"?
Kyle
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 11:14 AM »

Prism is a fantastic kite, I have a few Q-Pro Fractal's, Vapor, Prophecy and a few Berkley editions that will probably never leave because of their beauty and "rare" factor....that being said, the Prism kites are somewhat "mass production" type kites...stressing that there is nothing wrong with this but they don't have "quite" the sedimentary factor as something say from Blue Moon, Skyburner, Benson and others that are more of a "One time run" type of kite that is much more rare than the mass produced items.

As you can see from the list, most of the kites that are solid keepers are from the "boutique" kite makers and are harder to find in the normal trade markets.  I have a couple custom Widow Makers as well as one of the Spiders, I would be willing to let a standard Widow Maker go if I had to (without much remorse because it would be somewhat easy to replace it at a later time) but would be very heart broken if I ever had to part with my customs or the Spider.

Funny thing is that with my skills, I would probably be perfectly fine with a lesser fancy type kite and am nowhere near the quality pilot to push the kites I currently have to their max limit...but, flying one of these high end productions is sooooooo sweet - and in many times makes me look like a much better pilot than I really am.  Besides, as my skills grow I don't have to worry about out-growing my kites...lol

If you really got down to the nitty-gritty with most of the people who have replied to this topic, I would bet that the reason they will never get rid of the kites they have listed is more because of personal reasons or memories more than the actual ability of the kite to perform.  Take the Bella-Donna for example, the kite really doesn't trick worth a plug nickle and there are many other kites on the market that will fly better....but you hardly ever see those pop up in the "for sale" column.  Also, that Beautiful Evil isn't anywhere near the performance and versatility of the B-Series Pro's but try to trade a custom B-Series Pro for it....I bet you would be laughed at....

Some kites are like fine art...and some pilots are like collectors who love to display them and aren't interested in the price or performance but more the beauty or rareness of the creation and the awesome history that is behind them.

Asking "what kite would you make sure you had with you when you went to a competition" may give you a better idea of what you are looking for. Smiley

Just my opinion of course...

obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 11:58 AM »

I'll play along!

1st off, the Sea Devil.  If you have the money, Lam's kites are among the best you can buy (I have not seen or flown a Fearless).  The nylon standard is very tough, easy to repair, and looks great (if you don't mind the eyes).  The fact is, these kites can do anything.  They might not give away a taz machine, or do the flattest multilazies, but they do everything pretty well and many things great.  The Sea Devil (3PT light icarex) is still #1 in the bag, with the vented also occupying a permanent spot. 

2nd, the Cosmic Ghost (and Standard).  These are an ideal set of alternate kites.  When in the mood for a change which includes flat spins on a pole, cheap and easy, I choose one of these two kites.  And the Ghost flies low.  I'd have to say they both aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

XTs.  Recently acquired, instant favorite.  This kite is in direct contention with the Sea Devils.  I knew that I was going to like it, but I REALLY like it.  The size and feel on the lines is unmatched, and it's presence in the sky almost imposing.   Next stop...two pop multi lazies!

I have a few others that I won't let go but are not production kites...so not so relevant to this discussion.

obi

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
kairusan

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:51 PM »

I don't have many kites, but all the ones I do have, I'm keeping. Rev 1.5 Std. and Vented, HQ Symphony 2.7 (2007 edition), Prism Micron and Snapshot 1.2, and a beloved old-style TOTL Spinoff.

Although none but the Revs now sees significant airtime, I would not wish to part with any of the ones I do not use very often, because each one fills a valuable niche for me. Symphony is there for when I feel like getting some ginormous pulling action, Spinoff is there for impromptu team sessions (also great for ginormous pulling action as well as making a LOT of noise), Micron for when the winds are too high to risk seams breaking on my 1.5 Vented, and Snapshot for having something around to fly just in case on a backpacking trip or whatever.

I've also got an Acrobatx, the result of an attempt to get into modern dual-line flying that never clicked for me (fortunately, I started on Revs only a few months later). That one I might part with, if it weren't for the fact that it makes such an awesome office decoration.  Cool
stapp59
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 06:19 PM »

Another way of asking what is your favorite kite(s)?  There are so many great kites out there now, it is hard to truly experience them all and each will have their supporters.  Your 'best' kite is likely the one you've flown the most, know the best, and developed an attachment.  Many of us collect a core set and then experiment with other models swapped in and out.

My core set consists of
- Set of BMK Mambas, Exiles, Mantids
- Set of Aerostar Sanos

The BMK Mojo UL and Rev 1.5 deserve honorable mention and stay in the collection.

I have multiples of these and occasionally will sell one and get another to adjust the mix.

Currently the core is rounded out with:
- set of Talons
- Nirvana
- Widow Maker
- MiniGem

At this point it will take a very special kite to replace one of the above.

Have fun...
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 07:34 PM »

I tried selling some kites once. It hurt. Now I give some away from time to time. Of course, I'm given kites too and I buy a few. It's a crazy world.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 08:07 PM »

John,

Let me give you my address

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 03:21 AM »

NONE of my bluemoons, espically the muses, moonies, and mambas. I have one mamba forsale, because im getting another one and a vent to match it, but otherwise, they're not going anywhere. the others are the Firebird, Inak, Niknak, and nebula. The rest is negiotable too.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
EnergonCube

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 05:29 PM »

Five bags full

Holy. Cow. That's a lot of kites!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 06:16 AM »

Absolutely have to keep:
Exile
Nirvana UL (I just learned to do a slot machine with the N UL.)
Vented Nirvana
Fearless
Deep Space
Widow Maker Spider
mid vent B Series Rev
BMK 61/49 for something different

And to fly something different --
I have a full set of xt.r's, a Minigem, NFX Sport I flew once or twice, a Nighthawk and my trunk duty vented Rev I. 

Bob D.
rxburner
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 06:59 AM »

they [Prism Kites] don't have "quite" the sedimentary factor.....

Sedimentary? Sedimentary?
I suppose that in 300,000 years the geologists will find the "Kite Layer" in their core samples.
If they tap into my kite bag they will find my Sea Devil, Fearless, Cosmic TC, Mamba, Exile, Muse, Vendetta,  Nirvana and a bunch of Rev 1.5's.
(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Rx
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:03 AM by rxburner » Logged
pfouts
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 01:50 PM »

I haven't flown in quite a while ... too busy with my new toy ... vroom vroom. ...  So I have been trying to come up with the answer to that question ...  Right now I am not sure that  any of my remaining kites aren't going on the swap meet soon ... Cry   I think the Vendettas and a few BMKs and maybe the new Gem are going to stay until the bitter end ...  But not clear right now ...   
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 02:06 PM »

What are your keep no matter what kites?

I have a number of kites with sentimental value that I will never part with, even though I fly them rarely. A couple Midi's I got Chris to sign at Fort Worden. Four Hawaiians, my first Box of Tricks. There are a few others that are milestone kites from competing that will never be sold too.

See ya,
Bill
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document