GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 09:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good kite to start learning tricks  (Read 2754 times)
country85
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 08, 2012, 10:02 PM »

I've been flying for years, but for one reason or another I have never really done any real tricks with my kites. But I'm up for a new challenge in my kiting hobby now and am really wanting to learn. I don't want to drop a lot of cash but want a decent kite also. Here's the kites I'm considering:

French kiss(supposed) to be a cheaper version of the French Connection
Prism Quantum
Acrobatx std or ul
Beetle
Prism Nexus

I don't know what kind of tricks I will be doing, I'm mainly looking for a kite that can grow and adapt as my skills change. Any advice would be a great help. Thanks!! 

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:24 PM »

French kiss
Prism Quantum
Acrobatx std or ul
Beetle
Prism Nexus

I know nothing about the French Kiss, but of the rest of the others on your list the only one that will hold you for awhile is the Quantum. Have you looked at SkyBurner's production version of their WidowMaker? It's a wonderful kite for the money. It is called the Premier Widow.

Nancy
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:31 AM by madhabitz » Logged

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:26 PM »

Kiss is horrible - the one I tried would not even fly.

Acro UL is a fun trick kite, however - I don't know how it holds up wear wise, I only flew in for 30 mins or so.  I wouldn't get the std version of it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:28 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
country85

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57 PM »

The Widow Maker looks like a super nice kite, I just can't drop quite that much into a kite right now. Is there a big difference between skyburner's and prism's version? beside cost lol

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:14 PM »

It's my understanding that the spars and fabrics are different, but the Premiere version is still a really decent tricky kite

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 04:58 AM »

my kid strated with a acorbat , good beater to learn on , now he has a zepher , he says its much better and easier to trick , i think theres a zepher in the for sale section , or you could do a trade with someone , my personal favorite way to try new stuff , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 05:02 AM »

IMHO your list is all starter kites designed to not blow apart when you lawn dart them.

I think the Silver Fox 2.3 is a great starter kite for tricks...not the pro version.  It was more agreeable for me than the Zephyr.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 05:48 AM »

Look on the swap meet for a used Widow Maker.
You'll be a lot happier with it than you would be with anything on your list.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 05:53 AM »

Or post for something in the Wanted section. Maybe post your price range too. Everyone is veryfair with their pricing. I have a Widow Maker and it's a wonderful kite. The Widow is less upscale but supposed to be still decent.

Bob D.
trigger

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 11:01 AM »

+1 premier widow

Very inexpensive and i have talked to jon t(widowmaker maker) about it and he recommends it. He has them on his site also very inexpensive!

The zephyr has worked well for me too.
SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:37 AM »

Just bought the Premier Widow from Jon Trenbepohl's shop and I'm very happy with it.

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 01:31 PM »

Just bought the Premier Widow from Jon Trenbepohl's shop and I'm very happy with it.

+1 on the Widow.   At the sale price the is no kite that can compare to it.

You would find it on the skyburner/skyshark link  on the right banner ------------>

kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 05:46 PM »

+1 on a silver fox 2.3...

You can do just about everything with one, well made for the money, and has some good precision if you want to fly like you used to.

One of the vnedors on this forum had them on sale recently. Dont need the pro version.

You can also probably get one on the for sale forum well kn your proce range.
country85

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 08:10 PM »

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!! I was looking around and came across the Premier Jewel, seems it was designed by Jon Trennepohl, I like the way it looks, any one own one? thanks

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:25 PM »

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!! I was looking around and came across the Premier Jewel, seems it was designed by Jon Trennepohl, I like the way it looks, any one own one? thanks

Never flown the Jewel, but it is a very small kite, under 6 ft.

Small kites tend to need more wind, are less controlable and easy to out grow.  Sad

If cost is your main issue, this will get you in the air,  Smiley   but you may soon be looking for something better.  Embarrassed  Another option is to save up for something better and buy a kite that you will fly for a while.  Grin  Still have most of my kites from 20 years ago  Cool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum