GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 07:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Designers Must Cry  (Read 1784 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: September 09, 2012, 12:57 PM »

I have owned and been disappointed by several kites.

What these kites have in common is that they were designed by one person

and built to a low price point by a licensing company. So the designer gets

some money and watches as a well intentioned kite is lowered in quality by

material and parts compromises to meet a companie's idea of where the kite

should sell.

Diablo AFTER the rights were sold by Ken McNeill.
  (after much standoff modifications, the kite at least flew
     without falling apart)

Paper Airplane (designed by Robert Brasington)
  (with cheap sail, stitching and no reinforcement, this one sits useless
    in the closet after 1 moderate nose plant totally removed the rear
    spine pocket and mostly ripped the spine guide pockets)

Jam Session Classic
  (connector material so porous the rods poked through after gentle use)

I want to like these kites, but building to a price point is killing off the desire
  of many new fliers who have spent what they consider a lot of money for
  a kite that only flew a few times.

Sorry, just had to whine after looking at that Airplane kite again.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:34 PM »

Well, who do you blame if the designer allows their kites to be made in this fashion?

Part of the problem is that some designers/sellers don't have a lot of control over how the kites are made. Many are made in factories located in china that make kites for a lot of different people. They may do things like skimp on the material or workmanship after the deal is made as this is just how they operate.

I remember having conversations with Dodd when he was at New Tech and this had always been an ongoing issue. I know Gomberg goes through the same thing.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
madhabitz

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 05:22 PM »

They are not all bad though. Sometimes it's a very good deal.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Tmadz

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:58 PM »

I have the paper airplane. It is an extremely stable flier and it wants to jump out of my hand as soon as it senses the wind, but I am losing the stitching on the spine guide sleeve as well. I am thinking of getting poly line and reinforcing the stitching by hand

I have two other kites of Roberts design by New Tech. One I am very happy with the build, but the price point was much higher. The other I got for cheap, but the spines and spars are so flimsy they whip in any kind of wind and to make it worse, there is a 4in tube to attach to it that is so heavy for the size of the kite it could never get off the ground. The tube is worth more than the kite.

Unfortunately, on my ghost pyro the loops that were stitched at the end of the tails whipped off in high wind and the ends are now starting to fray. I need to figure out how to stop that because it is my new favorite.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:18 PM »

It's like anything else.....

If I can; I always hire a plumber, electrician, lawn person, roof cleaner, house cleaner, kite builder!, etc that I either know or personally know someone who knows them.

Why?  Because, while they are of course making a living, they also care about what I or my friends think about them and that can make all the difference.

The more local, the better.  Some customer service representative in Philadelphia working his 9-5 could care less if I saw the latest  episode of 'The Boss' or not - he's too busy helping other customers spend more money to worry about the few that are not happy with their purchase.

You may pay more (although certainly not always), but you are almost always better off when the unexpected happens.

Seems like the kiter who is going to fly a kite more than 2-4 times per year is a bit of a rarity in the global scheme of things.  It's about as often as I use my treadmill!  Smiley

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:22 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:53 PM »

Who is to say that the designer has ANY say about how the kite finally is produced...........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:44 PM »

Well, i know for a fact that Level One Razorback and the new Balor power kite are produced to be true to the designers specifications.
Spacekites are also made like the designer wants them, since the designer is also the owner and makes them. Smiley
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 02:14 PM »

Well, i know for a fact that Level One Razorback and the new Balor power kite are produced to be true to the designers specifications.

.........  since the designer is also the owner and makes them. Smiley

True quality control.  Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum