GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 12:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zephyr vs Widow Maker UL  (Read 1897 times)
wschmidt
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: September 11, 2012, 12:02 PM »

Has anybody flown both of these kites? If so can you give us a comparison. I have flown the widow maker and I really like the way it flies.

Thanks
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:51 PM »

Both are capable trick kites.

The Zephyr is a light standard not a UL. Zephyr and has a small wind range. Does not match my local wind conditions. YMMV

WM UL in my A bag.  Smiley     Zepher in the closet, waiting for a trip to the beach.  Sad

I also have a freestylist UL. Same price range as the Zephyr and a good choice if you are on a budget.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:56 PM by Wayner » Logged
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:38 PM »

Wayner, do you have any comparison to the Premier Widow? I'm debating getting a UL or just getting a higher quality std that can fly well in 4-8mph.
Wayner

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:23 PM »

Wayner, do you have any comparison to the Premier Widow? I'm debating getting a UL or just getting a higher quality std that can fly well in 4-8mph.

Sorry, I have not flown the Permier Widow (talked to people that have), but would have no hesitation buying one.

Buying choices are always hard. For me I would buy a UL if I had a standard. Because you cant control the wind.  Cheesy   Your  4-8 is the low to mid for std and mid to high for a UL.

Some tricks are easier to learn on a std while others on a UL. So for me having a UL & Std means more time to fly  Smiley  and two diffent style of kites to learn on.  Smiley

Let us know what you decide. 
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Tmadz, Go for the higher quality std. They'll fly in 3 to 12 or more. FTR, the Widow Maker flies much better (and lighter) than the Widow.
Wayne, look at the Talon UL. Its a very capable kite. Maybe John would let you try his. A Zephyr would be way down on my list of recommended kites.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Tmadz

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37 PM »

Tmadz, Go for the higher quality std. They'll fly in 3 to 12 or more. FTR, the Widow Maker flies much better (and lighter) than the Widow.
Wayne, look at the Talon UL. Its a very capable kite. Maybe John would let you try his. A Zephyr would be way down on my list of recommended kites.

Denny

Thanks Denny. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Widow (Jon T has an awesome price right now to move the old design) just because of price point on the WM. I have a Hypnotist that I can't get to do anything under 8mph in inland winds. I'm looking for more active lower range inland to keep working on some of the tricks I've started to pick up.

Todd M
Wayner

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:50 PM »

Denny
Hi Denny

I do have a talon UL, My favorite kite.  Grin  Just been unable to fly it.  Embarrassed
Local winds have keep it grounded for most of the last month. Either to low (shadow, WM UL, Amazing SUL) or to high. (STD or vented)

Local winds can drive a lot of choices. Our last weekly fly, started with 2 Talon UL and 1 WM UL. Then the wind dropped lower. Next 4 hours had 3 WM UL and 2 shadows as the only kites flying.

For me I prefer a UL to reducing the weight in a std. The std still lose a lot of alltitue during tricks and I have learnd so much from the slow movement of a UL

A Zephyr would be way down on my list of recommended kites.

Zephyr is low on my list as well.

On day look forward to trying a TNT.

Wayne
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:26 PM by Wayner » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 06:29 PM »

Sorry Wayne R, that was meant for Wayne S. the OP.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
madhabitz

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 06:40 PM »

Sorry Wayne R, that was meant for Wayne S. the OP.  Wink

Denny

Wayne? Oops. Heh.... I thought his name was Duane. Heard that wrong!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
wschmidt
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 08:25 PM »

lol that's alright, it gets confused all the time.
madhabitz

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 12:12 AM »

Heh.... well you answered when I hollered for your phone number.  Cheesy  Which reminds me-- I listed you as "Duane" in my phone. The way my mind works these days, you just might be Duane forevermore in the party that passes for my brain these days.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Mick P
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:22 AM »

While we're on the subject of UL kites, I'd like add that UL kites are also my preference. They fly gracefully and easy for those who are on a trick learning curve like myself. Question for those who own both Talon std and UL(Don't mean to hijack the post but I thought its related), are there significant differences making it worth it to own both since their lower wind ranges are very close (5 - 25 mph for std and 4 - 15 mph for UL)?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:46 AM »

When the wind is below 5 mph, the differences

between the standard and UL as far as ease of flight

are readily apparent.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change