GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 01:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Hill with John  (Read 1969 times)
Jannie
Trade Count: (0)
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:33 AM »

I think it's been a couple of years since I flew at Kite Hill. Yesterday John W and I got together there for a fly and it was pretty neat.

When I arrived, there was one flyer who was doing some lovely tricking with a white Sea Devil Std. Soon after, John arrived and both of us noticed Kite Hill was more beautiful and lush than we'd remembered.

The wind was nice, I flew my new Sea Devil and at first felt quite clumsy, I didn't remember how to fly with a weighted kite but soon found some very smooth Jacobs Ladders and a very strange looking backspin.

John was a little behind me down the hill on what I believe was his first time flying a Zephyr. At one point I turned around to watch him fly and thought out loud, damn- he's still got it.

We both text messaged Mark Reed to kidding say Mark where are you, we're at the hill and the wind's great. He replied he was at Prism and hard at work on a holiday. So we flew for him lol.

It was nice, we had the nicest of times and remembered the good old days when we all seemed to show up most summer evenings.

John was eating junk food, because now he can and it was kind of hard to visualize that it seemed barely more than a month ago that I'd visited him the hospital.

It was a very good day.
Jannie
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:35 AM »

Good to hear Jan.

Grin
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:03 AM »

That's great for both of you Wink.   I remember back in the days on the old forum when both of you were regular contributors and flyers Smiley.

Gardner
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:06 PM »

It was great to see both you and John yesterday at the hill.  It was a shame that I had to take off so soon, but I was glad that I ran into John and was able to say hello before I had to take off. 

The wind was a bit wild, but I'll take it.  The white kite I was flying was Lam's newest kite, btw, the Fearless.  I always enjoy watching John fly - its like poetry in motion.

6 kite tom
Jannie
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:49 PM »

OMG, I am so sorry I didn't introduce myself, it's been a long time since I've been connected with anyone but Everett around here in the kiting world.

So that was a Fearless, what does it fly like in comparison to the Sea Devil Std.?

I just got back from Golden Gardens where I got in a short fly before the wind tried to fly me into Elliot bay lol.
Jannie
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:55 PM »

That made my day.  Smiley

I remember how good it felt to just BE on the kite field after my gut busting cancer surgury.

Congrats John!

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:36 PM »

So that was a Fearless, what does it fly like in comparison to the Sea Devil Std.?

I have flown them before, but I don't have all that much time on SDs, so it's hard to compare.  Both are by far some of the most capable and fun to fly kites that I've tried -always a good time. 

The FL does some things that I've fallen in love with - very stable in both fades and turtles, easy tricks in both low and high wind, multi-lazys and jacobs ladders that just don't seem possible - its so reliable you can do them 6 inches or so off the ground with confidence, light pull but great line feedback, easy combos, smooth easy tricks.  It also has the best combination of being both floaty and trick-able that I've tried - it never feels clunky or heavy. 

I can't say enough good things about the kite.  If you like the SD, I would imagine you will love the Fearless.

Summer is coming, so I'm sure we will all meetup at kite hill some weekend.  It's alot of fun when a group of flyers meet there and the wind is good.  I like to watch John fly his Vapor and Prophecy in our typical low winds.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum