GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 02:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed with old Skynasaur  (Read 2731 times)
seanhennessy
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 17, 2012, 06:13 AM »

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some help on an old Skynasaur that a friend of mine came across recently. I've attached a couple of photos. I'm not sure of the model, but my friend tells me it's from the 90s.

I can see that the top spreader is missing, as well as one of the bottom spreaders - unless the bottom spreader is one-piece and broken? However, I can't see how the centre T at the bottom is meant to work. I think there's a part missing, but I don't know what it looks like or how it attaches to the spine.

I found a picture online of what I think is the same model but unfortunately I can't quite make out what's happening at the centre T.

If you look at the second picture I attached of my friend's kite, you can see that there is a little sleeve on the spine with spreader-sized holes in it. With the spine going through this sleeve, I can't see any way spreaders would remain in place in these holes. I'm confused!

If anyone has information about this kite - a manual would be fantastic! - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Seán

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:00 AM by seanhennessy » Logged
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:52 AM »

I have a similar kite , I will locate and get some details

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02 AM »

rubber tubing.....that is what is needed to ressurect this one...
option 1: there used to be a piece of rubber tubing that stuck out from the front of the kite at the bottom of the spine...and there was two sets of holes that were perpendicular to each other....but if the rubber was 1" long then one set of holes was at the end of the tubing and then the other hole was for the spreaders and were at the opposite end of the tubing....
option 2: There was a piece of tubing that had a hole drilled through it...in the center....the spine would then thread through this and then the spreaders would fit into the open ends of the tubing....

Lets see what Mike brings out.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
seanhennessy

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27 AM »

Thanks guys, this forum rocks!

I get the impression someone used this kite in the past and trashed it. I've taken the sleeve off the bottom of the spine, and put it back on with one of the perpendicular holes. This leave the other set of holes in exactly the right position for the lower spreaders, although I still doubt they would stay in there very well if there are two. It'll be interesting to see what Mike finds, I hope my guess is right!

Seán
kiteking

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:19 PM »

OK, I located the kite yesterday, got photos and all, then my local cable company decided to upgrade the network, and my internet went down, the guy came out and installed a tuning adapter, checked to signal...weak, decided he needed to replace all the wire and splitters in the house... add a amp on the line......still not working.... switch out the tuning adapter.....everything fine

here is what I found

1" long of 1/2 vinyl tubing
Center of holes are aprox 1/4" from ends

1/4" hole for spine 3/8" for spreader

lower spreader has a 5" long external
ferral that extends 2 1/2" over one side

Hope this helps

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

seanhennessy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:18 AM »

Mike, thanks so much!

I'd guessed that the vinyl tubing was attached that way, but the ferrule is the final piece. That makes so much more sense.

I don't suppose I could I ask you to measure the upper and lower spreaders? The one remaining spreader (one of the lower ones) is 20" - I think it's complete becasuse I can see the wear marks from the ferrule. I'd like to know the exact length of the upper spreader if possible?

Thanks again for taking so much trouble!

Seán
seanhennessy

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:08 AM »

One other question, now that I need to get a ferrule. I assume this is just a fibreglass tubular section of larger diameter than the spreader itself? The spreader is 6mm - what diameter tube should I get? Would an 8mm tube be likely to have the correct inner diameter?

Thanks again,
Seán
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:17 AM »

One other question, now that I need to get a ferrule. I assume this is just a fibreglass tubular section of larger diameter than the spreader itself? The spreader is 6mm - what diameter tube should I get? Would an 8mm tube be likely to have the correct inner diameter?

Thanks again,
Seán
for this kite the ferrule is a fiberglass "glaspar" tube.....pretty certain that the a20 is the right size, but Mike should be able to verify this...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiteking

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:40 AM »

upper:  15 1/8"

lower:  24"

ferrule: looks to be a20 (9/32)

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

seanhennessy

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04 AM »

Mike, that's great, thanks a million.

Looks like my lower spreader is broken so - it's only 20" - although it's 20" exactly so I assumed it was correct. Maybe it's a smaller model? Anyway, I'll experiment. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again!
Seán
seanhennessy

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Well, I completed the fix, I think. Undecided

I used 6mm fibreglass tubes. When they arrived I was disappointed about the blue colour, but I think it looks quite spiffy, and goes with the blue of the kite.

The ferrule is brass. The 6mm is a little less than the 1/4" (I think) of the originals. This left the spreaders very loose in the fittings, so I sawed another ferrule into four equal sections, and attached them at the ends of the spreaders. I don't think the extra weight distributed like that would make much difference - offset anyway by the new lighter spreaders. And the spreaders look very smart - like little wands!

Looking at the kite in the picture, the shape looks too acute, but that's just perspective - it's actually the same angle as my other stunt kites, more or less.

I'll be flying it tomorrow or the day after, I'll let you know how I get on.
seanhennessy

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56 AM »

Well, we got the Skynasaur up yesterday, and she flies like a champ. Very controllable. There's a bit of a 'pulse' in the pull it generates, and I think I may have to try using longer spreaders, but it was great to see the former sorry-looking mess take smoothly to the air!  Grin

I took a couple of photos, but without my good camera, all I got was a tiny sky-dot. Oh well.

Thanks to all who offered help and suggestions, especially Mike!

Seán
Ken Bour

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 06:40 AM »

Here's a pic of my 1980's Skynasaur Trooper that was repaired thanks to the help of this forum and especially Steve at GWTW Kites. Clearly different models, but I'm glad you got yours back in the air...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:47 AM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
seanhennessy

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 07:49 AM »

Thanks Ken. The bridle setup there is intriguing.

I'd be interested to know the age of my kite. My friend says it's from the 90s, but it looks way old-school to me. The sail is just a flat-bottom triangle until you put the spreaders in. Shape-wise, yours looks more modern to my eye, but I'm no expert.

Seán
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change