GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 08:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite bag/storage recommendation?  (Read 4313 times)
appleb
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 17, 2012, 08:19 AM »

I have a bunch of SLK's I want to store and transport together. I'm looking at the HQ 55" kite bag, but I can't find any pictures of the interior.  Does it roll out flat for easy identification and access to each kite?

Or any other recommendations for a decent kite bag?

So far my largest kite is only 40" disassembled, so I don't need anything too massive.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:26 AM »

i like tube shaped bags for single lines....not roll up bags....the roll up bags are good for holding each kite individually - it is easy to roll out the bag to see which kite is which....but that increases the weight due to the extra fabric to make the pockets....also i have a lot more single like kites in a given bag (I think i have 5 long kite bags full of single lines)...some single line kite bags are shorter and they might disappear into a roll up bag pocket....

How many kites are you talking about??? are there a bunch that are super long?

for a heavy duty bag I would grab a MLD bag (you will have to google that) they come in a couple of lengths and variety of pocket numbers and placements....bombproof cordura.......
But this HQ bag is a great deal as well, and is from the forum host: http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=48

my favorite kite bag:
The HQ Padded Deluxe Travel Bag...
https://picasaweb.google.com/110977665158917743177/HQBag
you can read about it here: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=450.0
these bags started 10 years ago at ~90$...and then ended up around 135$.....so worth it though...i would love to get a third one if i could....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:28 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Fishing rod bags can make very good and cheap kite bags!

This is mine, 2 big pockets on the outside for lines/ bits& pieces. 3 seperate sections inside for UL's/ standards/ vented kites. On the other side a long pocket for spare spars and a small pocket for my MP3 player! Cost around 12 ($18?) 3 years ago and still going strong. Ok provided your kites are no longer than 58".

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10 AM »

As mentioned, the HQ bad does not roll out. I've not used it but many fliers like it a lot (who do I think of Forrest Gump when I say that).

I like a roll up bag for multi line kites but a regular bag for SLK. It's a little odd now that I think about it but I suppose it's becase I'll always have a lot more SLK's then multi line. The non-roll up bags are going to store more kites in the same amount of room and are less expensive.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
duncan

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25 AM »

Perhaps I'm just a cheapskate, but I use ski bags - I paid 5 for one on ebay not so long ago. I can adjust the length using straps on the outside. Doesn't look so cool but it works Smiley
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:17 PM »

Does anyone have concerns about using oversize bags? I don't have enough stunt kites for a roll up bag and lines so I am using a old US air force canvas duffel bag for all my kites left partially open and a small gym bag for the odds and ends like line sets, yo-yo winders, laundry stakes, etc. I have kites of all lengths, some sticking out the end. I worry sometimes about over long SLK's or my tensioned LE's getting accidentally broken.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:31 PM »

oversized meaning??? that the bag is empty at one and flopped over?
I have had bags like that at times and the kites lived just fine in it...

how do you store your bag at home? standing on end? lying on the floor/shelf?
I have been storing my bags lying down on a shelf system and that works fine...they are all supported without worry of an end getting broken...
you might run into more potential problems if you are leaving your bag standing up on end as the bag might fall....

the instance where i have seen more LEs get broken than any other:
CAR DOORS......see a kite with the LE broken between 2-8" up from the tip symmetrical usually has been caught in the tailgate door/side door....happens....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 01:40 PM »

My favorite bags are the
- Vector bag.  Folks at festivals are always coming up and checking this sweet bag out.  I particularly like that it has handles on both ends so that you can hang it from a hook in the garage for easy storage.  This bag can likely hold every kite you've got (I stuff over 20 with extra spars, lines, tols, etc into it).

- Lam makes a sweet bag that I use for trips to the field.  It still holds a few sets but it lighter and easier to carry around.  He has both a rollup as well as a bag version.

- the HQ bag is great for taking 3-4 kites out with you and a line set or 2.  I have the smaller one.  It's super cheap - I got mine from Steve.

6 kite tom
Krijn

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 01:53 PM »

i love my vectorbag: really nice

plenty of room for linesets, suncream, camera, tripod, ...

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 02:11 PM »

+1 on the Vector Bag, I love mine.  Has lots of nice features.  $90+ but worth it.  Mine is crammed right now,  I need a 2nd one.  Shocked
Tmadz

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 02:38 PM »

oversized meaning??? that the bag is empty at one and flopped over?
I have had bags like that at times and the kites lived just fine in it...

how do you store your bag at home? standing on end? lying on the floor/shelf?
I have been storing my bags lying down on a shelf system and that works fine...they are all supported without worry of an end getting broken...
you might run into more potential problems if you are leaving your bag standing up on end as the bag might fall....

the instance where i have seen more LEs get broken than any other:
CAR DOORS......see a kite with the LE broken between 2-8" up from the tip symmetrical usually has been caught in the tailgate door/side door....happens....

Rob, it's an old school canvas military duffel bag. Plenty wide for fitting lots of kites. I have the kites sticking out of the top. I lay it flat on a shelf in the garage right now. When it gets cold I'll store it in the heated basement. I have a minivan which allows me to lay it down for transport. My only concern right now, I guess, is the long SLK's or LE's sticking out too far. I'm used to throwing it over my shoulder and I'll catch them on the back hatch sometimes when I go to close it. I was wondering if stuffing kites (each in it's own sleeve) in and out of the duffel might cause problems compared to storing them in separate compartments in a nice roll-up or zipper bag. I caryy my SLK's, Gomberg sled and Pyro and stunt kites in the same bag. I tend to catch the electric slim spine because it's the longest and a pain to disassemble. Robert built the sleeve long enough to keep the spine together.

Are Vector bags readily available?
Todd
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:44 PM by Tmadz » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 03:08 PM »

We have sold a ton of Vector bags.  They are totally awesome.  Plenty of storage and has some very nice padding - but not overly heavy.

For the price I feel it is the best bag on the market.  I personally use the Flying Wings bag because I got it before we got the Vector's in stock.  I would probably prefer the Vector because of the brighter colors - but the Flying Wings bag is super nice too and has some excellent storage and features.

Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Does anyone have concerns about using oversize bags? I don't have enough stunt kites for a roll up bag and lines so I am using a old US air force canvas duffel bag for all my kites left partially open and a small gym bag for the odds and ends like line sets, yo-yo winders, laundry stakes, etc. I have kites of all lengths, some sticking out the end. I worry sometimes about over long SLK's or my tensioned LE's getting accidentally broken.

Sounds like you are ready for a real bag.  Cheesy  Cheesy

+1 on the vector bag. I also like the strap at the end to hang vertical.

Use Prisim roll up bag for my old school kites (totl etc) these kites have longer LE and don't fit in the vector or flying wings bag.

Use a ski bag. for my SLK, Cheap and long. Carry the line in a duffle bag. single line winder would not fit well in a stunt kite bag.

Another option HQ has a bag for about 6 kites. Lower cost Grin
Tmadz

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 05:13 AM »

Thanks gang. I will look into the Vector bags.

If you can find anyone throwing skis away out here you are a dedicated garbage picker because I bet that happens once in a blue moon. There is a ski skop across the street from my business though. I don't know why it's still open, but it must be the only ski shop in northern Illinois.
appleb

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 07:01 AM »

Do the HQ or Vector bags have individual compartments for each kite, something like a file folder? Or do you have to have to wrap each kite+spars individually before putting them in the bag so the spars don't get mixed up?  I can't tell from the pics.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document