GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 04:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vented Opinions  (Read 5419 times)
Charles P
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 17, 2012, 11:02 PM »

I am looking to aquire my first vented kite. The only HW kite I have flown was a Nirvana that I flew for about 20 minutes. I really enjoyed that flight.
 I have decided to invest in a HW kite and I would really appreciate some feed back from the forum. I just found the Talon vented and it looks interesting, I've flown the Talon UL once and it tricked very well.
 I could really use some imput as to what to look for or look out for in a vented kite. Said kite must be very trickable in higher winds!!

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:02 AM »

Vented kites are all about trade offs.

If you think about an old army parachute, if there were a bunch of holes designed into it, you'd get to the ground quicker being less exposed to enemy fire on the way down which is good. The problem is you may be travelling too fast not to break your legs when the ground shows up.

Of the vented kites I've flown what they gain in wind speed is in direct proportion to their freestyle abilities. Moderately vented kites like the talon trick fantastically, and offer quite an extended range above their standard counterparts, but there's definitely an upper windrange. 18mph or more is time to think of doing something else. Can you fly? Sure. Is it fun? Not so much.

Just go into the process of shopping for a vented kite knowing you'll be giving something up, for what you gain, and having more realistic expectations, will be happier with your choice in the end.

Fdeli
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:12 AM »

It depends on what you consider high winds. 10-15mph is high wind for me, and I enjoy my vented kites from 8-15mph. Anything higher than 15mph, I'm stretching out the quad lines and flying a vented Rev if I have time. If I'm short on time and need a flying fix, I will fly my QPro VV, but there really isn't much tricking above 15mph.

As far as kites... the QPro VV will take anything you can throw at it. I've flown it in winds up to 30mph and still brought it back in one piece. The Fearless vented light is very trickable in winds 5-15mph. The other vents I have you can't get anymore. None of them get flown in winds over 20mph except the QP.

I've found that just like a low wind kite, a high wind kite is not so much about the tricking, more about the fact that you're still flying. If you get a trick in there once or twice, that's a bonus. Don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:18 AM »

I've found that just like a low wind kite, a high wind kite is not so much about the tricking, more about the fact that you're still flying. If you get a trick in there once or twice, that's a bonus.

You have definitely been flying the wrong kites.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:43 AM »

get a prism alien....trickable up above 20mph....non vented.....granted you might not be able to see the tricks cuz they are so fast.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:20 AM »

Most vents in my experience fly very differently to their std versions.

The talon vent will easily take over 20 mph winds and I have flown mine in over 30mph and it's pretty good for a vent. The NSE HW is nice as well especially when you fly it with lots of weight on the tail (25gr plus). The akuji vent is one of the nicest vents too as it's a variable vent and goes down quite low.

If you have winds which are bumpy you also want a kite that doesn't die on you when the winds drop.

You might also want to get some wind brakes for you vent or std.
RonG
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:10 AM »

Vented kites are all about trade offs.
That pretty much sums it up.

If you really want to keep flying at 20mph and above, you have to decide what your priorities are and approach a vented kite with that in mind. I don't care what kind of venting system is used, all vented kites are going to behave differently than their unvented counterparts.

There is no such thing as a free lunch in kite design.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:59 AM »

Has anyone used the wind screens that Jon T sells? Does that interfere with the tricking in higher winds even though it slows down the kite?
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:02 AM »

I have decided to invest in a HW kite and I would really appreciate some feed back from the forum.
Just how high are the winds that you are prepared to be outside flying in ? I don't consider myself a fair weather flyer but if the winds are truly in the 25mph+ range that the vented kite that I've just bought is supposed to handle  Huh then I'm not sure if I would choose to be outside, let alone flying a kite. Of any sort. In any manner. No matter how well it might do.

But that's not really answering your question is it ?  Smiley

TBH when one my Standard kites, possibly with stuffed spars  but certainly having several air brakes draped over it, gets too much then I'm going to stop flying. You might want to try getting some air brakes as a first step.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 12:10 PM »

Some of the best vented kites I have flown are Lams fearless and seadevil but they aren't trick monsters above 20 either, though more trickable than most.  One thing you have to keep in mind is when a kite is not in flying position the vents aren't as effective and physical weight or drag becomes more important.  The TNT strong seems to do this concept well though I haven't flown one myself.  Wind screens/air brakes are a good place to start since they can take out some of the wind pressure.
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36 PM »

L'Atelier xt.z with 150# test line. I will currently use 60' X 90# as I am primarily a low wind flyer and sold my 125# & 150# lines ... but will encounter this situation in NJ, USA in March after the winter as I am desperate and this is generally the wind strength at the beach. I made this statement ONCE and I will repeat it again ... Jim Byrne ... is there a better kite DESIGNED for 20 mph winds than this kite? ... with little work and tradeoffs in the CENTRAL WINDOW?

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:20 PM »

Don't rule out any of the Blue Moon variable vents, expecially the Black Diamond verious. Unfortunatly thesekites are no longer in production, but you might get lucky and find one in Swap Meet.  I believe VVs are the only way to go.  You get more control

Gardner
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:55 PM »

Don't rule out any of the Blue Moon variable vents, expecially the Black Diamond verious. Unfortunatly thesekites are no longer in production, but you might get lucky and find one in Swap Meet.  I believe VVs are the only way to go.  You get more control

Gardner
There is a vented Mamba in the Swap currently. Great price.
Charles P

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:19 PM »

Thanks for all the feed back. I've got lots to think about now!! I mainly fly to do tricks so I probably wont be flying in winds much over 15-18mph. Unless I have a kite that can trick well at those wind speeds!   Undecided
 I have tried some wind brakes with mixed results, I have a home made brake that attaches between the lines and the bridle, this one seems to work ok but sometimes I have control issues with it. I also have a set that honestly does not fit my kite very well but sometimes I will attach them to the front spreader and  and the stand offs, this configuration allows me to do some tricks but does not seem to slow the kite very much. If I take that same set of brakes and attach them to the front and rear spreaders it slows the kite a lot more but then I can't trick much at all for some reason.
 This is why I would like to get a vented kite, that and I dont like stressing the frames and sails of my standard.
 Thanks again for everyones advise, looks like I've got some more research to do but at least now I have some information to help me make my decision.
 Any more suggestions or advise is always appreciated.

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:38 PM »

First, let me say I fly dual line kites about 99% of the time.

And I have many vented sport kites.

Sadly, the kite which flies most like its normal wind brother is the Revolution 1.5.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document