GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 09:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vented Opinions  (Read 5916 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 12:08 AM »

No, I'm okay with that statement, well, 15-18mph anyway.

The xt.z is never going to be a very popular kite. It would cost a small fortune to get one these days, not to mention it's just too damn quirky for most people, but it will trick in the mid to high teens just fine.

L'Atelier xt.z with 150# test line. "snip" I made this statement ONCE and I will repeat it again ... Jim Byrne ... is there a better kite DESIGNED for 20 mph winds than this kite? ... with little work and tradeoffs in the CENTRAL WINDOW?

APJ
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:03 AM by JimB » Logged
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 01:44 AM »

The xt.z is never going to be a very popular kite. It would cost a small fortune to get one these days
320 ($420), your choice of 3 colours, 5 to 7 weeks delivery.

L'Atelier is back, don't forget.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 02:33 AM »

If you want to trick in high winds the TNT Strong would be my choice.
No vents, so no odd behavior when its on its back. Plenty of mass and the proper bridle for high winds. All the modern tricks are there @ 20 mph. I've even done pinwheels in 15 mph wind with mine.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 04:11 AM »

If you're tricking in strong wind, you're really going to be working it. The pull is much stronger with a standard or bigger kite and you'll definitely be doing more running to get slack in the lines. Venting and wind brakes might help but they stop being a lot of help as the wind picks up. (I like partial vents on my Nirvana when it just gets to breezier but not much more than 12.)

Interesting options are smaller and faster kites like the Minigem. Inputs are fast and you have to have fast reaction times but they are a kick to fly as the wind picks up.

I prefer gentler wind to trick in and the arthritis in my neck starts complaining if I'm working it too hard. I like to take out the quads in higher wind.

Bob D.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 09:37 AM »

Do yourself a favor and check out Lams Transformer vent.

My opinion:

Most designers do not have a clue about how to make a vent.  They seem to simply insert large amounts of screen in the main parts of the sail and call it a day.  The result is that the kite flys like a brick - no fun in nearly any capacity.

If you cut 1/2 of the bottom out of a bucket, water will surely pass right through it, but it will be as though the bucket is no longer a bucket.  If you put 4 smaller holes, then you can still steadily pour more water into the top without over-flowing, but it retains its 'bucketness'.

This is not an uninformed opinion.  I've owned (notice past tense) Nirvana HW, QPro VV, Mantis VV, Alien, SF 2.5 Vent.   The QPro VV was my favorite until I went to Lams kites, but truth be told, I almost never flew it unless I had to.   By contrast, I'll happily pull my trans vent out in 5 mph and enjoy every minute at the rate of probably 20 tricks per minute.

I fly mine into the 20s and usually pack it up around 23/25 since its just too uncomfortable to be out there.  I've been flying the kite for 2 years now and have never yet broken a LE on it and it has lots of miles on it.   He also frames them heavier if you are more comfortable with that, most of my airtime is from 5/6 to 15/20 with it,so I like the feel of a lighter frame.

Good luck with your choice,
Tom

6 kite tom
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 01:33 PM »

I'll happily pull my trans vent out in 5 mph and enjoy every minute at the rate of probably 20 tricks per minute.

Tom

movie!
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 04:36 PM »

TPATTER - like you I am a 100% KOOL AID flyer  Cheesy ... but honestly a LAM Vented kite does not replace the XT.Z ... its somewhat of an equal ... IN MY OPINION. Lams kites absorb the wind ... which is good <15 mph, the XT.Z ... I don't know ... it just is not bothered by it ... with its Turbo rod construction and frame. Its the only kite other than a Benson Inner Space that I have not turned over for a Fearless/Transformer design ... its my HIGH WIND KITE.

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 07:39 PM »

I'll take your word for it - we all have our favorites!  Smiley  I love being able to fly one kite as both std and vent that flys just like my other Trans kites. 

The Rev suggestion is also a good one if you enjoy flying them - I just haven't been bitten by that bug despite trying real hard to get into flying them.  Those guys can fly an uber vented rev in 35 mph of wind while smoking a cigarette on crutches!  Smiley

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 11:59 PM »

Oh I knew you could get one new, but still.. not a cheap kite this side of the pond. Plus shipping from France.

The xt.z is never going to be a very popular kite. It would cost a small fortune to get one these days
320 ($420), your choice of 3 colours, 5 to 7 weeks delivery.

L'Atelier is back, don't forget.

Mike.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 11:01 AM »

One of my favorite vent kites is a Level One vented. I I'm sorry, I don't recall what it's called but the reason I like it is because the vents are a ton of small holes all over. This does not take away how each panel acts as there is still a lot of fabric left. Well, I it removes just a little but not a lot. I also like small vents spread out on the kite.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 05:03 PM »

I think the reason you don't remember the name is that it was known as the Level One Level One. Seriously. Smiley
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 11:29 PM »

First, let me say I fly dual line kites about 99% of the time.

And I have many vented sport kites.

Sadly, the kite which flies most like its normal wind brother is the Revolution 1.5.

How correct you are...plus all the framing options of revs...yee haw!!!!
Happily (and fortunately) for me, I do have 3 of the same dualies (sul, ul, and vented) that fly pretty well the same....good ol' Pro Dancers....
But they probably don't have the trickability the OP wants.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/577077480ByHCgR

bt
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:37 PM by bt » Logged
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 05:35 AM »

When the wind comes up I prefer a Vented Rev. Three stages of venting and all the control you want. Reverse is sometimes more blessed thing than others.
Charles P
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 07:28 PM »

I just wanted to let you all know that I have ordered a vented deep space from Tim Benson. If my addiction compels me to buy another vented kite I think I might consider the TNT or Lam.... or dare I say a REV?!

Thanks again for all your input. I am so glad a friend of mine told me about this forum, so much to learn!

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 08:16 PM »

I have ordered a vented deep space from Tim Benson.
Eh ? Shocked

If my addiction compels me to buy another vented kite I think I might consider the TNT or Lam.... or dare I say a REV?!
Please don't. There's a whole other section for those weirdoes but I think they gnaw through the fence.

2 lines good, 4 lines... better not.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum