GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 10:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind Forecasting  (Read 2183 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: September 19, 2012, 12:41 PM »

I found a new-to-me link to wind forecasts all over the world, for beaches, airports, lakes, etc. It's very cool and I've seen nothing else quite like it. The site is http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/wind_globe_akt.htm

- After you land on the page, look for the header labeled: SELECT FORECAST MAP

- In the first drop-down box select your continent

- In the second drop-down box select your country

- If you are in the USA, it lists each state separately. For myself I was able to select "USA California North"

- At the top of the new page it shows a windspeed/directional map

- Below the map are links to all of the stations for the section you've chosen. It's so cool! Just click on a link to get forecasts

I've been able to find wind direction maps in the past (with a little help of a friend), but have never been able to nail this stuff down for the beaches I wanted to visit. Man, this thing even has Berkeley Marina.

Have fun!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Tmadz

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:54 PM »

I use it too. It is ok forecasting, but is there anything subject to more changes than wind? I have used it for some success in finding when to be at the beach or park, but it is as accurate as the normal weather forecasters. For accuracy of a time window? That is subject to dabate as well, but at least it gives me an idea when to expect wind starting at 36 hours out, but is usually best 24-12 hours in advance.
madhabitz

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:57 PM »

For accuracy of a time window? That is subject to dabate as well, but at least it gives me an idea when to expect wind starting at 36 hours out, but is usually best 24-12 hours in advance.

That's why I wanted to find a map like this-- for those times I itch to go someplace, it'll help me decide whether to go/stay and to figure out which place to go.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:14 PM »

back in RI i used this: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports.html
There were stations in Narragansett Bay and so I could call the 800 phone number and get the real reading off the station...that also gave a good idea of what else was happening around the bay too...

but....it is only in a select few locations around the country....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Tmadz

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:18 PM »

I hope there are other good websites for use on the coasts, but this is what I have found works best for my flatlands. I was lucky enough to get to fly on Michigans west coast for a few weeks travelling for work, but the wind was still subject to lots of fluctuations because of land based weather systems on the other side of Lake Michigan.
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Having used that one several times I find I seem to go to
http://weatherspark.com

the forecast is very accurate and you can look at more then just wind but direction which is so important around where I live inland due to the trees near the flying fields.

http://weatherspark.com/

Donald Jacobs

Got Wind? Kite club

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28 PM »

Whoa.....that weatherspark.com is pretty cool....
Thanks

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:02 PM »

Glad you like it, it is my go-to site.  Pretty accurate.

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
madhabitz

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 10:00 PM »

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 04:20 AM »

Not really forecasts, but Wunderground.com is great for current conditions.  They pull data from NWS, NOAA, and personal weather stations (Oregon Scientific or similar) that upload data. There are hundreds here in the bay area.  You can click on each of the stations and a popup will open showing current real time conditions with links to station history and forecast.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=38.28578935&lon=-122.01030730&zoom=11&pin=Fairfield%2c%20CA

Of course, there is always the tried and true method of wind forecasting for kiting.  If you have left all your SULs at home, the winds are guaranteed to be less than 5 MPH. If you only brought SULs, the winds will be in excess of 25 MPH.   Smiley
madhabitz

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 03:31 PM »

Of course, there is always the tried and true method of wind forecasting for kiting.  If you have left all your SULs at home, the winds are guaranteed to be less than 5 MPH. If you only brought SULs, the winds will be in excess of 25 MPH.   Smiley

Heh.... ain't that the truth. Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum