GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 08:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info needed on Skydog "Thunderstruck"  (Read 1242 times)
country85
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 20, 2012, 07:04 AM »

Okay so a week and a half ago I won what I was assuming was a skydog little wing on "the bay". Well they guy finally shipped it out and I got it today. Well to my surprise(good surprise) it has a 68 inch wingspan. Looks like I have an older version of the thunder struck, since most of the newer sites were listing that kite with a 58 inch wingspan and not a 68. Kite looks really nice, has the 4 point fully adjustable bridle, looks like about a 6mm hollow tube(fiberglass) frame with about 7 inch long stand offs. From looking at it, it looks like Dodd designed kite but can't be sure. Any info would be great(wind range, trick ability that sort of thing, proper size lines). I can post pics later if it would help

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34 AM »

you can find Dodd here on the forum and send him a pm or email about it.....he will know...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:11 PM »

Post up a pic of the kite.  There were a few Dodd kites similar to the thunderstruck over the years.  IMO all of Dodds kites except for the small beginner wings are good trickers (with some limits depending on kite model) and usually meet the 4-15 for tricks and up to 25 for flyability.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:19 PM »

you can find Dodd here on the forum and send him a pm or email about it.....he will know...

Right here

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=241 

Personal email also.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
country85

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:44 AM »

*www.philshobbyshop*

I found this link that has a small pic of the kite, My camera and computer aren't getting along right now for some reason so I can't upload a pic. I flew the kite yesterday and it did good considering the winds were gusting right at if not over 20 a few times. Pulled surprisingly hard for a kite of it's size in a strong wind, glad I put my #150 line set on it. I added some pennies to the tail and one on each wing tip just messing around and it acted like it wanted to trick but the wind was just plain too strong, I did get it to stall, which I had to almost sprint to keep it in the stall. It does have a hollow fiber glass frame, may be wrong place to ask, but has anyone had any luck replacing fiberglass frame kites with carbon spars? If so are the results worth the money and time?

*Direct link removed*

Please do not post direct links to commercial sites.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:48 PM by JimB » Logged

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:01 AM »

Country, if you cn make it, bring it to the IKE retreat at Indiana dune next weekend (Sep 29th-30th). Would love to see it. (And maybe fly it)  Grin
country85

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:15 PM »

If I can find someone to cover for me at work I'm defiantly there! Wish these 30 mph winds would die down just a little bit so I can get in some more practice time with it lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change