GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best all around kite for under $150  (Read 4212 times)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 01:06 PM »

Okay So I've got 150 bucks to spend on a kite and looking for ideas. I'm looking for the biggest I can get, but also don't want to have to have gale force winds to fly it.

I'm not sure the "best all around" and "biggest I can get" are necessarily compatible goals. But I gotta tell you, I'm really happy with the Premier Widow that I bought from the designer's retail store website for $115. It's 96 inches wide.

I think Jon had one left. Blue.
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+70)

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 01:13 PM »

not formilar with a force 4 , you might be talking about the force 10 , looks like your avitar , made by steve shapson , hes still around but is known as steve shapson the cheese guy , i have a force 10 and its my favorite kite , i believe its 15'9" i also have a predator and its 12'6" , i think it flys in a little lighter wind but never seemed quite as cool to me , normal big kite flying is totl hawaiian and flying wings hornet , ray

i think i have a used hornet for sale if interested

Steve & Sherri
country85
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 05:12 PM »

Pm sent about the Hornet. Does any one have any info on the predator? I looked online but can't find much. I know it probably hasn't been made in a lot of years

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 05:59 AM »

Unless you have solid 8+ winds, little desire to progress, a need to have a beginner kite in the future and only a day a month to fly I'd stay away from both the Quantum and Hypnotist.  I have both and I call them Tanks because they are very heavy.

You can get a Zephyr for $145 By It Now at auction.

I have two Zephyr.  The first was an absolute awesome kite.  I flew the heck out of it and now it is my LED kite.  My second Zephyr needed some serious adjustment before it flew as I was expecting.  But that did it and now I recommend this kite for every new kiter that asks.  With a wind range of 1-17 it can be flown in the lightest of breezes.

That is my opinion and unless you paid for it...it is worth nothing.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
country85

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 06:45 AM »

I was looking at the Zephyr also but I heard they were very fragile kites, what's your opinion on them durability wise?

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
PAW
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 11:08 AM »

If you are willing to spend a bit time of work, then this is a freaking great kite:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8250.0
...they are sold in the US too:

http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Stunt_Kites/Trick_Kites/Maestro_Stunt_Kite

I should not have removed the link. My bad. Sorry.
Il Duce.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:45 AM by chilese » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 01:21 PM »

Peter, I'm sorry to disagree, but I hated my Maestro. Only flew it twice, a total waste of $$$ for me. Maybe I should've tried your mods, but I just don't have the time for it right now.
 I would agree that the Zephyr is a good bargain at that price, and it's far from fragile. I flew the wings off of mine, and it never broke. I've been flying mine since 2007, and it still gets in the air once in a while.

PAW
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 02:14 PM »

Make the mods on the Maestro II...you will not regret it and you will be very suprized...but I totally understand you, like the kite was before !!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:18 PM by PAW » Logged
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 03:49 PM »

The Zeph is good for lighter winds and is reasonably robust considering the frame but the bridle is set far too heavy for me. I would much rather go for go for a silver fox 2.3 if I wanted a new kite or better still a soul if you could stretch the budget a little or best of all just go for something second hand.  Cool
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 04:09 PM »

Make the mods on the Maestro II...you will not regret it and you will be very suprized...but I totally understand you, like the kite was before !!!
If I make the mods, and start to like the kite, I'll lose my 'guest kite'. It's one of the kites that I put into the hands of interested passers-by. I have the Maestro and Quantum for that kind of use...
I did save your instructions for the mods, though. When my kids get older, I'm sure I'll have more free time.  Wink

trigger

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 06:20 PM »

zephyr is holding up perfect to my crashes and the yanking while i try to learn tricks.  I have to remember more Slack... not more Pull!

I flew her today and the winds were wicked!  about 20mph with some stronger gusts. she made some noise but was rock solid!

Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 06:27 PM »

I was looking at the Zephyr also but I heard they were very fragile kites, what's your opinion on them durability wise?

The Zephyr has a ligher weight nose and other triming to reduce weigth.

Never would use the word fragile, better to say it is not designed for rough abuse sometimes seen during learning from begining flyers. Well designed to handle the riggers of normal trick flying.
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 05:45 AM »

As all have agreed.  The Zephyr is a good, solid and infinitely enjoyable kite.

Sure, there are crisper and more uniquely stylish kites hand built with signature.  However, they are 3X the price but do they perform 3X better?

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 06:06 AM »

As all have agreed.  The Zephyr is a good, solid and infinitely enjoyable kite.

Sure, there are crisper and more uniquely stylish kites hand built with signature.  However, they are 3X the price but do they perform 3X better?

Yeah, I'd say a Talon is at least 3X's better than a Zephyr.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 06:20 AM »

Denny, now you're getting out of the $150 range with a Talon. More like double that correct?

I flew Triggers Zephyr. It's not delicte. The feel on it flying is solid and extremely lethargic. It rolled easily and didn't want to roll back. I think it would be good for someone progressing into solid intermediate range. Just be careful of hard landings on grass

If a beginner was buying a Maestro, wouldn't knowing what mods to do to it be more difficult than buying a different kite? You're talking about knowing kite characteristics which is out of most beginners knowledge.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document