GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 11:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best all around kite for under $150  (Read 4306 times)
country85
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 22, 2012, 08:19 PM »

Okay So I've got 150 bucks to spend on a kite and looking for ideas. I'm looking for the biggest I can get, but also don't want to have to have gale force winds to fly it. If it does the newest and most radical tricks okay, if it only is capable of old school stuff that's fine too. I know I left a pretty big market open, any one have any favorites? I'm also considering a quad line Mojo kite(unless any one else puts a 60 dollar rev in swap meet Huh Huh Huh Grin Grin

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
country85

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:39 PM »

My top considerations right now are:
Prism Hypnotist
Prism E3
Prism Quantum
Skydog Crossfire
HQ Falcon
Flying Wings Insync

Not looking for anything too fragile also, I've heard the E3 is "crash sensitive"  Huh

Always fly a big kite, The louder the better. That way others can't hear you screaming as it's dragging you down the field!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:48 PM »

Are you open to buying a used kite?

If yes, keep your eye on the Swap Meet.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
country85

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:11 PM »

I'm defiantly open to buying a used kite, and I try to keep my eye on the swap meet, I check there and "the bAy" at least 3 times a day.. O speaking of used kites, or older kites, My all time top of the list kite is a Force Four, can't remember the guys name who made them, all I know is he was out of Wisconsin I think

PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:32 PM »

i flew my friends FREESTYLIST by skyburner it flew pretty nice only 160

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:52 PM »

Nota Bene.

Are you open to buying a used kite?

If yes, keep your eye on the Swap Meet.
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 02:53 AM »

My top considerations right now are:
Prism Hypnotist
Prism E3
Prism Quantum
Skydog Crossfire
HQ Falcon
Flying Wings Insync

Not looking for anything too fragile also, I've heard the E3 is "crash sensitive"  Huh

I wouldn't bother with the Quantum, it's a great kite for absolute beginners as it pretty much bomb proof but it's is rather heavy and isn't the best trick kite - you'll quickly grow out of it. The Hypnotist is much better and you get the DVD. I would'nt bother with the HQ Falcon - I had one, nice enough kite but it was HQ's attempt at a mid price 'Ballet' kite and it didn't seem to quite work, I never really clicked with mine and soon sold it.  Second hand may be the best way to go, you can get some great deals in the swap/meet.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
country85

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 04:50 AM »

Thanks for all the advice! The hypnotist Is my favorite right now, large wingspan, comes RTF almost always, and like you said comes with the DVD.

This is kind of off the wall and I know it would be out of my price range most likely but any one know what the largest wingspan stunt kite that's regularly being produced right now is? I know ITW Sells a mirage xl that's a touch over 10, And I know "eVil bay" sells some out of china(don't worry would never go that route) around the same size, My father wants another big stunt kite to match his force 4 (almost 15 foot wing span) and is disappointed that they don't make stuff as big as they used to lol

ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 06:04 AM »

not formilar with a force 4 , you might be talking about the force 10 , looks like your avitar , made by steve shapson , hes still around but is known as steve shapson the cheese guy , i have a force 10 and its my favorite kite , i believe its 15'9" i also have a predator and its 12'6" , i think it flys in a little lighter wind but never seemed quite as cool to me , normal big kite flying is totl hawaiian and flying wings hornet , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 06:53 AM »

This is kind of off the wall and I know it would be out of my price range most likely but any one know what the largest wingspan stunt kite that's regularly being produced right now is? I know ITW Sells a mirage xl that's a touch over 10,

It just so happens that there's a Firestorm for sale in the swap meet right now, with a wingspan of 10', and the seller is asking $150. It's a nice big kite that can also do some tricks. Quick, buy it, put my mind to rest. I have a red one, and a blue one would be nice...

You are going to get a lot more bang for your buck in the swap meet. While you wait for the right kite to pop up, save a little more $$$ for a good lineset, too. Of the new kites mentioned, I would say Hypnotist...

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 07:26 AM »

I've got a beast by hq and a california condor. Fun kites when you want too have your arms stretched. I can coax some tricks out of the beast. I would also say to look at the firestorm on the swap.
Have you considered foils?

Sine Metu!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 07:56 AM »

When you start talking about big kites, you are getting a way from best all around stunt kite.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 08:34 AM »

Silver fox 2.5 or 2.3.

It's a decent trickster and flyer - good enough that its easy to learn on.  Unless you always have a nice 7+ mph of clean wind, I would get the UL.

Good luck.

6 kite tom
country85

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09 AM »

Do you have a pic of the predator? That may be the kite I'm thinking of. I have a 3.5 quad parafoil. It's fun but there's nothing like a hard frame stunter

SkyDancer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 12:59 PM »

Okay So I've got 150 bucks to spend on a kite and looking for ideas. I'm looking for the biggest I can get, but also don't want to have to have gale force winds to fly it.

I'm not sure the "best all around" and "biggest I can get" are necessarily compatible goals. But I gotta tell you, I'm really happy with the Premier Widow that I bought from the designer's retail store website for $115. It's 96 inches wide.

Sport kite beginner (dual and quad), kite festival announcer, kite club webmaster, amateur videographer, ham radio operator, private pilot (PP-ASEL), ballroom dancer.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document