GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 07:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much pull with a delta conyne stack?  (Read 1760 times)
appleb
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 24, 2012, 11:54 AM »

I'm thinking of buying the Delta Conyne stack from ITW, which recommends 300# line.

Can this safely be flown by hand with 300# line on a hoop, or is this something that should be anchored?
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:56 AM »

I would anchor anything on a 300# line, unless you're up for some fun. Although, the instability of getting pulled around the field/beach might cause your stack to fall.
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:51 PM »

To find out it's a simple experiment . Toss the line over a tree branch attach a 2o lb weight and if you can hold for as long as you plan on flying you don't need an anchor.
not trying to be snotty but it will give you the feel . much better for you than finding out you need an anchor and havent got one.

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59 PM »

Ask Devin what a day we had TRYING to fly all three together.  Didn't happen.  Probably can't happen for them to fly stable./  I own the large one with Color Spinners a set of four.  Two large and two small.  A multi-color Flaf line ..Jon T.  Changed my carbon rods to lighter and stronger one's.  The Kite fly's no other in No wind kind of days.  She floats and stays put.. but all three on one line... Ask Devin he'll scream...  They look good together but stacked you could regret it.  Line strength is no way #300.  I flyt my Three Bonitos on #200 line.  We had four on the same line... Hope this helps...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47 PM »

I fly many SLKs and use line from 20# to 1200#.

I have anchored down kites on 20# line and hand flown others on 300# line. It depends on the situation and how I am feeling. But SAFETY must come first.

The key SAFETY question is can you RETREIVE the kite.  Roll Eyes

The rule would be always set a anchor first before you launch ANY kite(s) that you may not be able to retreive. Then you just need the skills to tie a line with tension on it.  Cheesy  (be glad to help if you need it)

Ability to fly be hand, is not based on line strength but the amount of pull. In 10mph you maybe fine 15 mph and your in trouble Shocked

remember you can adjust the bridle point to lower the pull in higher winds Grin

So, to answer your question. Yes you can in some winds you can. But would you want to. You may get tired soon.

I have a 6 stack of gomberg DC at 9' each. Wouldn't ever fly all 6 in a train by hand. But in the right winds, a 3 stack sounds just right.  Wink

Oh yes, at the beach you use a sand anchor Cool
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:08 PM by Wayner » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:01 PM »

I love DC. They are my favorite SLK. Have the in different sizes, stacks and Double DC.  Cool  Perfect fit you my local wind conditions.

With the Into the Wind DC kites coming in three sizes, what kites you choose to stack will have BIG inpact on line pull

The Mesa DC is a small kite and a 3 stack will be easy to fly.

The Rocky Mountian DC is a mid size and will work for medium wind. Plan on a anchor for higher winds.

A 3 stack of the large Alpine DCs should include a plan on anchoring. but would expect you to be able to fly in ligher winds.

A progressve DC stack will be in the same range as the Rocky Mountain 3 stack.

Remember if you add tails and line laundry is will increase the pull. Not by a lot but is will increase.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:10 PM by Wayner » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 06:31 PM »

Manufactures usually over state the required line needed. They also take into account the higher pull realized during launch. Delta based kites don't have a lot of pull once overhead. I have hand held an 86 Power Sled, recommended line weight 1000 lb, in significant winds but I   had help on hand to bring the kite down.

As stated above "Safety First". Two lengths of rebar or a sand anchor and/or a dog leash are inexpensive insurance against injuring yourself or others.

I stake any SLK unless displaying it during a show or judging, I'd rather be free to visit , walk around and take pictures, or have a nap then tied to a kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change