GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 11:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky Burner Ocius or HQ Shadow for my next UL?  (Read 1428 times)
AntBTas
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 26, 2012, 03:21 AM »

Hi everyone,

What would people recommend between a Sky Burner Ocius UL and a HQ Shadow for my next UL?

I need something that tricks well in the wind range gap I have where my 4D and INaK end, and before my Prism Zephyr starts to come to life.  So I'm thinking somewhere in between 1-2mph up to 5 or 6mph.

It doesn't need to go much higher as I have the Zeph and then the Silver Fox Pro Std, but it would be good if it tricks well between 1 to 5mph.

After reading this thread: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=8442.0

I'm leaning towards the HQ shadow, but the Ocius UL is also available in Australia and in my price range so I'd like to hear from anyone who has one of those as well.

Thanks in advance  Smiley

Ant
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:03 AM »

From personal experience, anything below 3-4 inland is really hard to fly in, much less trick unless you're super experienced and skilled. Below 3 mph is probably more SUL territory than UL and then you're dealing with fragile framing and little to practically no mass for the kite to trick with.

More realistically, a UL will help fill the gap below where your standards are flying but there IS a bottom end of the wind range where a UL will have trouble too.

From what I've read, the Shadow is a decent kite but I think people have said that it's more of a light standard than a UL. I think the Ocius is decent too but I've only flown the standard (once). I really like Skyburner Kites (Jon T's Widow Maker is amazing) and the standard flew very nicely. The UL would probably be good too. In any case, with low wind, it becomes more pilot skill than anything else and I'm sure either one would be okay. The important thing is to get out there and FLY!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:07 AM by Bob D » Logged

Bob D.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01 AM »

The Shadow is almost an SUL!!

The Ocius UL behaves more like a normal sport kite.

The Shadow tricks in a more spirited, but less traditional way.

Both are very nice kites. The Shadow will probably need a bridle adjustment.

I own a Shadow, but it is now on loan to my son.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42 AM »

For your wind range you may want to consiter the Ocius SUL.

The ligher mass means less trickability but is will be much more than your INak of 4D.

It will fly in lower winds that the Shadow or Ocius UL.

Just another choice to confuse the issue Roll Eyes

ps. I own a Shadow like John. & have flown the Ocius SUL & UL.
Love the Shadow, but you can't enjoy it if you don't have the wind for it.
If your winds are mostly 1-2 its SUL time. If winds are 3-6 go with the Shadow.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:42 AM by Wayner » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:32 AM »

I'd do the Ocius SUL. Way less of a pain then the Shadow, and more rewarding to fly. Whatever you choose, enjoy the (potentially) new toy!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Charles P

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51 PM »

I've flown but do not own the Ocius UL and SUL as well as the Shadow, personally I think the Ocius tricks better than the Shadow but it may be that the ocius agrees with my flying style more. Both are fun to fly, the Ocius SUL and Shadow are very lite and floaty like the 4D. The Ocius UL is a bit heavier with a more STD kite feel to it and you can be a bit more agressive with your inputs and it has better pitch capabilities as well.
 I do own both a 4D and a Zephyr and considering that you are looking for something to fill the gap between the those two I would suggest an Ocius UL. But..... if your winds tend to be more in the 1-2 range you better go with the SUL. The Ocius UL will fly in lower winds than the Zeph but not by too much.

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
AntBTas

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:26 AM »

Thanks everyone, your advice has helped me clarify the difference between what I want and what I actually need  Smiley

I'm thinking i may just hold off a bit, and just keep on working and practicing with what I have.  When all is said and done it is a very small wind range that i'm missing out trick wise in, and I probably don't really need to spend money to cover the couple of mph range i'm missing out on, not till i get a bit better at flying maybe and can appreciate it.

I think I just wanted to talk myself into getting another kite, when what I really need to do is practise with what I have lol  Cheesy
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:31 AM »

Learn to fly your std kite in UL wind. It will make you a better pilot.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:29 AM »

Denny

Also a good way to lose a few pounds.   Cheesy
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Denny

Also a good way to lose a few pounds.   Cheesy
So I've lost 30lbs. since my own adventure began. I figure I have about 50 more to go before I qualify as a decent pilot.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography