GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 08:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Benson DeepSpace & Gemini....Are they good trick kites ?  (Read 5077 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: May 27, 2009, 06:57 AM »

How come they are not popular here ?
Which one is better(trick wise) and why ?

I know they have a weird YoYo Stopper. What do you think regarding this weird YoYo Stopper design ?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:00 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:13 AM »

They are both great trick kites. I actually have both and love them both. The Deep Space is the latest and greatest by Tim Benson. It can be compared with all the latest high end competition kites. It tricks really well and the inputs needed to perform are minimal, it can be a really quick kite though, so you have to be pretty alert when flying in stronger winds. The Gem also handles really well, and the modifications to the newer edition also put it up there with the newer designed kites. I do love the roll bars, they are becoming very popular in UK designed kites, both the Benson Deep Space and the new Gem have them, The highly appraised Jest of Eve Talon also has roll bars. You really can't go wrong with a Benson.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
Mark E Mark
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32 AM »

I believe that both the Gemini and the Deep Space have proved to be reasonably popular in the US. Don't forget that we have only recently moved from a period where the dollar was virtually 2:1 against the pound and this made both kites pretty expensive in the US (neither kite is a budget offering). The Deep Space is essentially the replacement to the Gemini but they are so different in design and feel that it is more of a different option rather than outright replacement. My choice would be for the Deep Space.

The 'weird yo-yo stopper' is called a roll bar - it's not that weird really and most of my kites have them. They do work very well and definitely help hold the lines during wrapped tricks and make multiple wraps a bit easier (no negative qualities I am aware of) - they are the best yo-yo stop option for me.
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:58 AM »

Both incredible kites and probably the best build quality you'll ever find.
They do like small controlled inputs so if you're accustomed to kites that likes big inputs you might find them a bit of a shock. Not of a problem if you like that or get used to it, it can even make tricks like multiple wraps and cometes very accessible. However some people prefer to stick to something less sensitive that they can yank and spank.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:29 AM »

If the Deep Space and Gemini don't qualify as popular in your world, what on earth does ?  Huh

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:17 AM »

If the Deep Space and Gemini don't qualify as popular in your world, what on earth does ?  Huh

Mike.

One of those mass produced, sold by the truck load kites?  Roll Eyes

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:21 AM »

"Here" is a very small and odd subset of the kite universe. A very trendy bunch. The latest craze is the Talon, before that, the Fearless, etc, etc.

Someone once sarcastically coined the phrase "the next kite to save the world". I think it's just new shiny. It's great to have new toys, and since no two kites fly the same, it's endlessly fun to find the new "best" kite.

Three years ago the DeepSpace was the "next kite", but that's a long time ago in Forum years. Some of the frequent posters with strong opinions around here weren't even flying then.

IMHO, the DeepSpace is one of the best modern kites on the market. I'll have another before too long.

Good DS footage:
Trick Kite Trick Freestyle
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:26 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:38 AM »

I'd be hard pressed to name another "serious" kite that sold as well as the Gemini did back when it was THE kite.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 01:04 PM »

The Deep Space is just about as tricky a kite as it gets. Very popular for a higher end kite but the exchange rates have made all European kites super expensive so they aren't being sold as much in the USA.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Spz0
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07 PM »

IMHO, the DeepSpace is one of the best modern kites on the market. I'll have another before too long.

Good DS footage:
Trick Kite Trick Freestyle

That vid never gets old, no matter how much I watch it.
Makes a man Smile.  Smiley
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 02:07 PM »

It just makes you want to buy one Smiley. I spoke to Tim a few weeks ago and the Deep Space UL is not to far away. I'm already on his waiting list Smiley.

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
DaveH
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 02:12 PM »

I just took delivery of my Deep Space yesterday.  I've wanted one for a long time, but it didn't seem practical until the exchange rate changed recently.  I used to fly a Phantom in Florida.  That was 1992. I've wanted one of Tim's kites ever since.  Lots of flyers I respect fly the Deep Space. Its definitely a popular kite.
Spz0
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 02:14 PM »

how much total, with the exchange rate, if you don't mind me asking m8?
DaveH
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:14 PM »

I remember about a month ago I was trying to decide what kite to buy and did a thread asking for opinions. Somebody said, don't watch the Deep Space vid or you'll have to buy one.  I watched it and contacted Tim within the hour.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:36 PM by DaveH » Logged
kiten00b
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 04:04 PM »

Check out the Benson site or Andy Wardley's videos of the Gemini & Deep Space.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography