GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 08:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First lifting kite  (Read 1696 times)
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 05, 2012, 09:32 AM »

I want to get a kite to hang some line laundry off. Was looking at a Premier Sled 24 with #300 line. Is this a good one to start on? And what type of anchor would be good for park grass? I want to put some transition tails and stuff from it.

Thanks heaps.
Rob.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:44 AM »

a sled is perfect......
are there any trees in the park you could anchor off to?   It is always best to have a large potentially-not easily-moveable object to tie off to....car...bench.....tree....
you could use a couple of the screw in dogstakes but keep in mind that they are rated ~150#.....i have seen them break before and become a dragging projectile across a field...
big tent stakes (like circus tent style) work great and i would still double up on them as well...

The 24 will get you started....if you can jump up a level that would be better....

Welcome to filling the sky with color!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
red sweater

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:46 AM »

and i would still double up on them as well...

The second stake is there to keep the first stake from turning over.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:33 AM »

those will work...i was thinking more of these though:

you can see some more about anchoring kites:
http://www.gombergkites.com/faq/faq-a.html

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
red sweater

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11 PM »

you can see some more about anchoring kites:
http://www.gombergkites.com/faq/faq-a.html

"I've seen people connect 1200 pound flying line into 200 pound tie-downs or attach large kites to car bumpers and forget to set the brake."

Hey, engineering departments compete with solar-powered cars, what's wrong with wind-power? Cheesy

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 03:36 PM »

A sled is a nice kite to start off with, just pull it out of the bag and attach the line.  Grin

Delta Conynes, Roks and foils are also great lifters if you want other options.  Wink

The sled has a ligher pull than some other kites its size but will be fine for transistion tails. I would call the 24 a fun size. Easy to set up, fly and take down.  Wink  A larger size will be a better work horse if you want to get crazy with line laundry. 

You can use a anchor, but should have no problem flying by hand in most winds. I have Gomberg's 40 sled and use 150# line for normal wind and #250 for high wind.

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 05:29 PM »

I have the Gomberg 40sq ft super sled as well and I use the 250# waxed black dacron. It's not real heavy pull, but flies nicely I liked it more because I could get the matching pennant tail rather than get tubes to stabilize it.  I lift plenty of laundry with it in a 8-10mph+ wind, but the Premiers are better lifters. If you're looking to start with a light sled the Premier 24 would be a good choice. It doesn't cost much and performs reasonably well. You could lift a few things with it.

Jim Nicholls in New Zealand is a single line flier and he has a website of his own with lots of reviews of all of his kites, including sleds. Those might give you a pretty good start and help you decide what to get.

I like the lifting power of delta conynes, french military and Roks as well. DC's and french military are reasonably priced for their lifting power as well. I would definitely stay away from skyhooks and flowforms/skyforms for now. Those are pretty advanced lifters.

As far as ground stakes. I have what Thief has. They're nice solid steel stakes with rounded point for hammering into the ground. I got mine at a home improvement warehouse here for $2US apiece.  A little orange spray paint to identify it on the ground and they hold firm on regular black soil with a higher clay content. A 2lb mallet knocks em in deep. I don't know if your soil is really sandy.

I love my sled. It always gets attention. I was at a club fly this weekend with plenty of wind. It definitely got peoples attention and plenty of photos. I love looking at it.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 06:27 PM »

Jim Nicholls in New Zealand is a single line flier and he has a website of his own with lots of reviews of all of his kites, including sleds. Those might give you a pretty good start and help you decide what to get.

Thanks for the tip on the site. http://www.jimskites.co.nz/reviews.html

Good info. Suprised to see we have many of the same kites. Enjoyed seeing reviews on a few kites I am still looking a purchasing.  Wink
SparkieRob

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Thanks heaps for that. I want to work my way up to getting one of those Gomberg Octopus inflatables, just love watching them. I'd use a pilot with that but as there is NOTHING like that on this side of my country I want to build some experience first. I also love the attention lifters get and I'm betting my kids will go nuts!

Rob.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document