GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice for stackin' some dragons 55, 35, 25 (PICS 'N' VIDEO ADDED)  (Read 3152 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: October 05, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Thinkin' 'bout stackin' three dragons for this Sunday's memorial fly...

55ft. first then the 35 and 25... Not sure where to attach line on main spreader and what length between kites or if it's even going to work...

Any ideas  here?
Thanks a heap and, oh yeah, fly one for the girls if your out and about this Sunday afternoon...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:02 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:33 PM »

When stacking dragon kites or large diamonds I like to put 10-15 feet of line between them.  Linking them can be a pain depending on how they are framed and bridled.  Most of the time I'll put my top one as the anchor of a main line set to fly as high as possible and use 5-10 feet of line set 10-15 feet apart on the main line to hook the others too and set them at different AOA's to fly at different angles.  THe one with the most lift for the wind should be the top though.  ITs been a while since I did a dragon chain but I would stack the 55 on top followed by the 35 and 25 on bottom.  IF they have a cross spreader and spine instead of just a outer "u" bent rod then a pig tail looped around the spine and spreader will work best as a link. 
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:36 PM »

Should be a attractive stack
whitebirdlover

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:29 AM »

Ca Ike,  these have a center spar running head to toe for bridle attachment. I thought having them go from 55-35-25 made sense considering the smaller ones fly higher in a given wind and the stronger spars would support the pull of the smaller ones on top...

Anthony
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:21 AM »

You can stack either way depending on the kite.  Smaller ones on top tend to get hidden by the bigger ones IMO.  You'll have to experiment with those but a single link on that center spar about 30% from the top should work ok.
Wayner

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:53 AM »

Smaller ones on top tend to get hidden by the bigger ones IMO. 

+1
whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:21 PM »

Thanks Ca Ike, that sounds good... Smiley Smiley Smiley

Kite motifs are 55-rainbow,sun,moon, stars  / 35-rainbow,sun, mountains-stream, moon,stars / 25-leaping dolphins
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:25 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+78)

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 04:45 PM »

i have a stack of small dragons they are opies by new tech i have 45 of them and they dance so nicely but let me tell it pulls like a truck put them up first time in 4mph by end of day 15mph needed three people to take it in but man is it a show stopper everyone loves them

Steve & Sherri
whitebirdlover

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 07:35 PM »

Pics 'n' video here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108727946454916120295/DragonTrain?authkey=Gv1sRgCJeTg7qRhp6J_wE
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:57 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Wayner

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 08:43 PM »

Looks like it work  Grin.

Also looks like they were pretty active on the line  Cheesy

Thanks for sharing the pictures
whitebirdlover

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 09:15 PM »

Also looks like they were pretty active on the line  Cheesy

They flew very well with the lead kite doing a nice dance that kept the line moving. I expect the smaller dragon was getting some turbulence from the larger kites downline and that kept it moving. It was a sweet ride. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:26 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 04:07 AM »

Looks like it worked out great!!!!

Check this thread out on posting picures: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:11 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change